Pros and Cons of Diesel Engines

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
http://www.dexknows.com/article/pros-and-cons-of-diesel-engines-5048/

Good things about diesels

You can travel farther on a gallon. For example, a turbo-diesel VW Jetta boasts EPA numbers of 30 mpg city and 42 mpg highway, while an equivalent gasoline-engined Jetta turns in 23/33. And if you check the “My MPG” tab of the Department of Energy’s fueleconomy.gov website and look at “shared MPG estimates,” you’ll see that many diesel drivers beat the EPA estimates hands-down.
In general, a fair and positive diesel article. The only cons listed deal with cost of fuel vs RUG, premium sticker price, and lack of diesel fueling stations. I don't particularly agree with the last point, but that might be just because the greater Seattle area has diesel available in what seems to be the majority of stations. In fact I know one very close station that just added diesel when they replaced their pumps. I know they didn't add any tanks, because the entire change only took a couple of weeks and there was no piles of dirt around. :p

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Alone, the cost of regular gasoline relative to diesel is not a negative. I'm tired of hearing about that as a negative. It would be a negative if the fuel efficiency of a comparably sized gas and diesel were the same... The cost of the fuel alone tells you nothing. What matters is the fuel cost per km or mile driven. Calling it a negative and then in the same breath saying you still end up ahead is silly. That's like saying the cost of a lottery ticket is a negative after you win the lottery. It's only a negative if you never win...

CJ8Rockcrawler

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI currently. 1 CTD and 1 EcoDiesel though!
I think this is a remnant from the days of Diesel being cheaper than RUG on a per gallon basis. Of course it could just be that most Americans are too mathematically challenged to calculate the cost per mile or km.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
I think this is a remnant from the days of Diesel being cheaper than RUG on a per gallon basis. Of course it could just be that most Americans are too mathematically challenged to calculate the cost per mile or km.

I think that's the honest truth. Just about every single friend or family member I know needs the math to be explained before it isn't an issue. As a matter of fact, I had to show my in laws my fuel receipts to prove that fuel expenditure has dropped almost 40%. They were pretty upset that I was trading in our vehicles that we spent almost $800 a month to drive.

I didn't tell them the biggest driving factor was that just before marriage I found out my wife hadn't changed her oil in two years.

Some just flat out don't care and still state that they refuse to pay so much for Diesel.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Had the same discussion with a friend when he wanted a new car ~4 years ago. I laid it out that with all the miles he drives for work his saving in fuel would easily pay his car payment. He was actually interested and looking at a new diesel but his wife with her certified 8th grade education, ex-wife now chimed in "but diesel is so much more expensive".......

:mad:And that was the end of that:mad:........

Americans will not go diesel in any real numbers until the costs at the pump hit them hard enough for them to be willing to do the math...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
With current fuel cost per mile the same between diesel and gas, the initial cost of thousands more, diesel is no longer the cheap option it used to be.

The Jetta SE is THOUSANDS less to buy ($4,000 less, then factor in interest) compared to the Jetta TDI with the same cost per mile and simpler engine.

Last edited:

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
.....I had to show my in laws my fuel receipts to prove that fuel expenditure has dropped almost 40%. They were pretty upset,,,,,,,,,[originally posted by I800collect]

My in-laws told my wife not to marry me bacause I rolled up in an old Mazda 323 stick to meet them for the first time. Good thing they didn't see the deer in the hatch

Last edited:

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
Lets not forget the fun factor too. My 2013 JSW had to have the passenger mirror re-painted as the paint had bumps in it when I picked it up (looks like it was not clean when they painted it at the factory)!

I got a Gasser Golf as a loaner. That thing was a dog! Until recently I had a TDI golf, and compared to the gasser it was far superior! The TDI has more passing power when you need it (I had to thrash the golf to merge) and is much more fun to drive.

We only had it overnight, and even my Wife commented that she was looking forward to getting our JSW TDI back!

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Price factor to consider- low grade gasoline often contains ethanol. So you get less mpg and the damages done by ethanol. I would compare diesel to high grade gas.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
The Jetta SE is THOUSANDS less to buy ($4,000 less, then factor in interest) compared to the Jetta TDI with the same cost per mile and simpler engine.[originally posted by Bob Fout]

And the TDI will command thousands more when you unload it..

DocW1949

TDI
2009 Jetta dsg
In upstate New York and New England where we usually drive there is no problem finding diese fuel. Compared to my other good milage car, a2002 Focus (`35mpg) our 2009 Jetta tdi sedan (`42mpg) is less expensive per mile to run and much more fun to drive (when I can get it away from my wife). The only thing the Focus wins on (for me, not her) is having a standard transmission. It has, however 15000+ relatively trouble free miles on it. I hope the Jetta, currently trouble free at 65000 mi, is similarly durable.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
In most of the south (NC, SC, Tenn), I've never had trouble finding diesel when I needed it. I try to think proactively and plan ahead, though. As far as sticker price, It's not an issue to me. I always recommend buying used, and waiting for a deal.

MAJSW

TDI
2013 JSW 6sp/Pano/Nav/Tempest Blue
No issue finding diesel here in MA. What I find is that often the diesel pump, if alone but even right next to gas pumps, is the only pump without a card reader. I will happily pay a few cents more at the station down the street to have a card reader. Then I don't have to go inside and wait in line while some guy decides what lottery tickets and cigarettes to buy.

And +1 on the comment that a TDI costs more but gets more when you're done with it. If you're the type that will drive it until dead then it will pay for itself over those 15 years.

vdubbintdi

TDI
Midnight Blue Metallic 2013 PASSAT SE DSG
I have had the same argument with my friend. There was no justification for the extra cost. He decided to get a camry. Good car but since 2005 I've replaced brakes and the usual maintenance (110,000 miles) besides my mods. He's been through 2 transmissions, brakes, electrical problems, injector problem, rust all over the place, and more than twice the fuel. HMMMMM who made the better choice

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I say, "let them think what they want... Drive what they want... And pay for it" I can quietly spend my savings where I want and no one really needs to know the difference. Wisdom pays off whether they think like us or not.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Based on the EPA ratings averaged for city and highway, and the constant 10% to 20% higher cost of diesel, both the Jetta SE with 2.5 and Jetta TDI are around $0.10/mile for fuel. [Within pennies. $4,000 pays for a LOT of fuel]

Last edited:

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Based on the EPA ratings averaged for city and highway, and the constant 10% to 20% higher cost of diesel, both the Jetta SE with 2.5 and Jetta TDI are around $0.10/mile for fuel. [Within pennies. $4,000 pays for a LOT of fuel]
If you are lucky enough to average 30 mpg with a gas engine and for discussion purposes pay $3.50 per gallon that is 12 cents per mile rounded up. By comparison if you average 42mpg with ease with a jetta TDI and you are paying $4.00 per gallon that is 10 cents per mile rounded up. That is a difference of 2 pennies per mile. It will take 200,000 miles to recover that price differential compared to the 2.0 jetta. I guess the end game is the same. I'd rather invest in technology vs. paying more for fuel.

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I am not a math whiz, but my estimate before I got my Jetta was it needed to get 4 mpg better than a gasser to break even. Compared to my old Mazda getting 30-32 mpg, I am saving about $8 per tank. I admit the up front cost of a diesel engine is significant, but not the price of fuel.

Leafsfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI Highline 6MT, Pure White
Here in Ontario, Canada diesel fuel is usually around 10 cents per litre cheaper then RUG for most of the year. The exception being during the mid-winter months where diesel is around par, or a few cents/litre more then RUG. However, I frequently have the same arguments here with friends about cost savings of a diesel. They only seem to notice when diesel is more expensive then RUG. I guess they only look at pump prices when they freeze their asses off!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Dex clearly DOESN'T know. Ignore this "article" - its wrong everywhere you can point.
Diesel availability has changed dramatically since the 80's. The interstate has developed to feed all that truck traffic, which is three times higher than in the 80's. If you look closely, the blue sign for gas on the highway has a little 'D' in the center of it if, there's diesel. Look at how many have it. And that's just on the highway! Diesel is everywhere, and since we don't need it nearly as often, and from reserve we have at least 60 miles to find a station that does, what's the problem?!

Last edited:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Last year I compared a Golf 2.5 gasser versus a Golf TDI. The TDI is about $5000 more to purchase. My math said that it would take about 150,000 miles to pay the cost premium back in fuel consumption. And there's timing belt replacement in the TDI, whereas the gasser has a timing chain. My decision was the 2.5 gasser, which is a great car as well. From the driver's seat, I prefer the TDI, but not at the purchase price premium.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'd rather invest in technology vs. paying more for fuel.
Well put. If it weren't for the fact that most TDIs are loaded up with options (over top of the added cost of the diesel engine itself), this would be a no-brainer almost anywhere in North America.

I'm now living back in Canada (Alberta), where the cost of diesel is only 4-5% more than RUG, so for me, even with the premium I paid for my vehicle, I'm coming out ahead. Plus, I strongly advocate and enjoy the technology and properties of the powertrain.

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I made them find me a bare bones TDI...which I realize isn't really bare bones, but it cost about the same as my co-worker's top of the range Hyundai Elantra.

bzeien

Veteran Member
TDI
Smyth Performance G3F #9, formerly known as "2004 Jetta BEW", 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
For weeks after the last hurricane (Sandy) we had gas lines and rationing (once the power came back). Sometimes the lines were over-nighters for gas. My wife was able to get to work at the hospital using my diesel while I waited in line to get gas in her car. For my car, the lonely diesel pumps were always available without waiting. More than once I pulled into an empty station, with a "No Gas" sign posted, and filled up with diesel, while a line of hopeful gas buyers ten cars long formed behind me.

As with any other purchase, preference and emotion factor in as much as dollar signs when choosing a vehicle; it's a personal choice.

For me: I like the mileage, the torque makes me smile...and I like the sound, but that's just the engineer listening :)

PS: There's also nothing quite like the sound of a tuned VR6, with a good exhaust, winding through the gears ;)

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
As with any other purchase, preference and emotion factor in as much as dollar signs when choosing a vehicle; it's a personal choice.
For me: I like the mileage, the torque makes me smile...and I like the sound, but that's just the engineer listening :)
PS: There's also nothing quite like the sound of a tuned VR6, with a good exhaust, winding through the gears ;)
The engineer in me likes the sound of diesels too. The sound of a 3.0L TDI (Audi Q7) accelerating beside me really made me smile the other day. It was possibly one of the most refined sounding machines I've ever heard. It was as smooth as a jet engine spooling up. However, a part of me yearns for a 2.0T.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Here two are two good points about diesel.

1 You never have wait in line for a pump.

2 You are never charged for using your credit card.