Projector headlights for '09 Jetta?

LBJ (Laser Blue Jetta)

TDI
2009 Laser Blue Sportwagen w/DSG
I've got an '09 TDI Sportwagen and am very disappointed in the headlights. I drive a lot in winter and these lights have a lot of vertical light scatter which is very bad in snow. Has anybody found a projector headlight retro kit that works for the '09? All I've seen are ones that claim to install up to '08.
I'd consider the fog lamps but unless I could just run with fog lamps and the marker/tail lamps, they wouldn't do me any good if the DRL can't be turned off.
I see that ECS tuning has a light switch with more lighting options that ON/OFF but it seems to require VAG-Com to make work and I'm without access or knowledge of such. So, I'm hoping for a simple headlight replacment.

LBJ (Laser Blue Jetta)

TDI
2009 Laser Blue Sportwagen w/DSG
'09 JSW headlights

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what year range used the same headlight shape. I'm not so sure about the 2010, however. I saw one at a local dealer last week and the front end appeared quite a bit squintier with a narrower headlight unit that was more pointed as it met the grille. It was still a reflector style but the innards had changed from my 09.
I'll check into the Hella as it is my light vendor of choice.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
LBJ (Laser Blue Jetta) said:
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what year range used the same headlight shape. I'm not so sure about the 2010, however. I saw one at a local dealer last week and the front end appeared quite a bit squintier with a narrower headlight unit that was more pointed as it met the grille. It was still a reflector style but the innards had changed from my 09.
I'll check into the Hella as it is my light vendor of choice.
http://tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1028

For $1000, OEM cannot be beat.

ECS Tuning

Vendor
TDI
Volkswagen
Hella Mk5 Halogen projects are basically the same housing / projector as the OEM HID with a halogen bulb. The will accept drop in HID kits as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
ECS Tuning said:
Hella Mk5 Halogen projects are basically the same housing / projector as the OEM HID with a halogen bulb.
I've got these lights in my 09 JSW, and really like the way they look & function. (And ECS Tuning is a good source.)

However, if you are having scatter problems on snow, you might look into getting a set of fog lights with yellow bulbs. I've heard a number of sources that say the yellow light is better on snow or wet roads. ECS Tuning also supplied my OEM Projector fog lights (and a wiring harness), might be worth looking at.

If you go that route, you'll probably want to add a Euroswitch, and program the vehicle so that you can run on just fogs without headlights. If you can find someone with vag-com, it's an easy change to make.

Last edited by a moderator: