Projected tire life on TDIs anyone?

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I am at 16K on my 2012 TDI and I don't think I will get much beyond 30K out of the stock bridgestones. My driving is mostly highway and some interstate and I keep them slightly over inflated at about 38psi. They are wearing very flat across the face with no feathering or cupping etc.

Its just not going to be a 50K tire I don't think. Do any of you have closer to 30k or more miles on their TDI that can comment on tire life?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I just got my 60K service done and the original Bridgestone Turanzas still have some life in them. I think I can get them to last until fall (around 70k). I didn't think they'd make it this far but they've been good tires, although I know many on this site don't like them.

Last edited:

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Dumped em at 23K. I couldn't stand the road noise anymore, but treads still had plenty of life. It's a pleasure to drive again. Got Michelein Primacy MXV4.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
At least you guys didn't get stuck with the Hankook Optimos.

They are not confidence inspiring to say the least.

Feels like I'm on a Slip 'n' Slide in the rain.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Dumped em at 23K. I couldn't stand the road noise anymore, but treads still had plenty of life. It's a pleasure to drive again. Got Michelein Primacy MXV4.
It took me 21k miles more before I dumped my Bridgestones EL400s. The noise was getting unbearable and I was about to take a 5k road trip. I probably could have got around 55k miles out of my Bridgestones.

I also replaced the Bridgestones with MXV4s and it's like night and day. All one has to do is look at Tire Rack's survey data of the Bridgestone Turanza EL400s vs the Michelin MXV4s.:D I set both the Turanzas and MXV4s at 38 psi. Treadwear was / is flat across the tires.

I've got 16k on the Michelins and based on current tread depth, I should get around 70k miles on the MXV4s (currently wearing at about 8k miles per 1/32).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I guess I got lucky. My car came shod with Michelins. They have almost 46,000 miles and they still look good and still work well.

Have Fun!

Don

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW

Had the Optimos, loved them. The new wheels came stock with Perilli P6, worst tires ever! On Khumo ecowings now.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I am at 16K on my 2012 TDI and I don't think I will get much beyond 30K out of the stock bridgestones. My driving is mostly highway and some interstate and I keep them slightly over inflated at about 38psi. They are wearing very flat across the face with no feathering or cupping etc.
Its just not going to be a 50K tire I don't think. Do any of you have closer to 30k or more miles on their TDI that can comment on tire life?
On a 2009 Jetta TDI with app 36,000 miles, oem Bridgestone Turanza EL400 02 's, the projection (based upon miles / measured wear per 1/32 in) is a minimum of 80,000 miles. While I think it will easily exceed that, that is far less than the 112,300 miles I got from an 03 Jetta TDI oem GY LS- H's. The second set (Toyo TPT's) is on a 120,000 mile pace also.

It is my anecdotal op/ed that GENTLE initial break in (first 500 to 1,000 miles) is probably the key to tire and component longevity. Once broken in I do not baby the vehicle nor do I try to trash and thrash it. I do keep both under XXX speeds however.

Last edited:

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback

Agree with you on that. I got stuck with those too.. And besides, who cares what mileage you get on factory tires. They are supplied by the lowest bidder, and are usually junk. Drive them till you can't stand them anymore, then go buy what you want.