Project Sound & Noise Control

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My main reason was to muffle my exhaust sound....currently running the full Eco setup from Malone and Rawtek. With that in mind, the trunk netted me the greatest gains plus it's the easiest. But remember that there are complaints about rattles everywhere, mine has zero. The windshield is awesome! In a driving rain you hear nothing thru the windshield. Doors would be the second thing to do. I would probably do it in order as I have laid out. My roof will be done next.
Since I have the JSW the noise from the rear is fairly noticeable. I tried some damping material in the wheel well. Perhaps the rear fenderwell would have some payback along with the windshield when it has to be replaced as well.
I don't know about the trouble in doing the doors, but I will think about that as well.

Thanks!

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Since I have the JSW the noise from the rear is fairly noticeable. I tried some damping material in the wheel well. Perhaps the rear fenderwell would have some payback along with the windshield when it has to be replaced as well.
I don't know about the trouble in doing the doors, but I will think about that as well.
Thanks!
Put as much material in the rear wheel wells, rear floor, spare tire well that you can swing. Will require removing all the trim and interior panels. Let us know how you proceed!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I just ordered some jute and will insulate my trunk when my order arrives. Referring back to page 1, I don't think I saw whether you used adhesive or some other sort of tension to hold the jute in place. How did you secure your jute?

Also...

My roof will be done next.
If you don't mind, would you take plenty of photos of the roof with the liner removed? Serious ham radio operators insist on drilling a hole in the roof. I won't consider it unless I know exactly what's above that roof liner. I think a consensus is that just forward or aft of the sharkfin is ideal because of the sunroof. If you can, photos with the sunroof open and closed would be wonderful! Thanks for considering it.

Scott

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Hello,

I use spray adhesive. I spray both surfaces fore a more secure bond. Put down some CLD tiles (dynamat type stuff) to the metal first, then put jute on top of it. Go for 100% coverage with the jute. Multiple layers of jute when/where you can.

[/URL][/IMG]

I surely will take pics of the headliner job.

Hello,

I just ordered some jute and will insulate my trunk when my order arrives. Referring back to page 1, I don't think I saw whether you used adhesive or some other sort of tension to hold the jute in place. How did you secure your jute?

Also...

If you don't mind, would you take plenty of photos of the roof with the liner removed? Serious ham radio operators insist on drilling a hole in the roof. I won't consider it unless I know exactly what's above that roof liner. I think a consensus is that just forward or aft of the sharkfin is ideal because of the sunroof. If you can, photos with the sunroof open and closed would be wonderful! Thanks for considering it.

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks for that!

I surely will take pics of the headliner job.
I have one more request that came to mind later. Can you please take a measurement of the sharkfin antenna mounting hole? I have some external measurements of the plug that goes with the base Jetta. But I'm not sure what the dimensions are for the actual hole or whether it is non-round:

Thanks Again,

Scott

joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
Resurrecting this thread....Anyway to get the images back for guidance and proper placement of the materials?/

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Resurrecting this thread....Anyway to get the images back for guidance and proper placement of the materials?/
I have been thru a few cars since this Jetta Sedan...I just so happen to have a 2014 JSW right now that I am sound deadening at the moment. I always wondered what happened to my images...so I finally logged back into Photobucket....looks like they want money now so I can host images.... I am thinking about it....