Project Sound & Noise Control

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
I am in process of a fairly complete interior tear down project on my 12 jetta TDi to make the cabin a little less noisy.
I'm using the following materials;
RAAMMat
1/8" Closed Cell Foam
1/4" thick Jute Insulation
....all areas and panels will be addressed. This type of project I rather enjoy.

I started in the trunk, stock deadener strips;
[/URL][/IMG]
I added some Hush Mat I had to use up(30% surface coverage is a general rule of thumb);
[/URL][/IMG]
I layed in jute;
[/URL][/IMG]
Sub woofer and rear deck are next...

Last edited:

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Fender sub

I removed the Fender sub and layered the top with RAAMMat;
[/URL][/IMG]
After RAAMMat;
[/URL][/IMG]
.....note that the metal "install helper" clip is a source for rattling. I used some rubber hose to wedge between it and the deck to keep it isolated.
I then layered it with jute to help decouple between the rear deck and sub box;
[/URL][/IMG]
Next up was adding a foam strip to the back edge of the rear deck trim panel, this keeps it from rattling against the rear window;
[/URL][/IMG]

Spray the foam strip down with windex right before putting this panel back in the car. It will help it slide in place without distorting the foam gasket...

Last edited:

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Under the rear seat...

I added some RAAMMat to the floor under the rear seat;
[/URL][/IMG]
I added a layer of 1/8" closed cell foam;
Next up is a layer of jute;
[/URL][/IMG]
Carpet back in place;
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Trim panels

Put a layer of jute on the inside of the rear trunk floor trim;
[/URL][/IMG]
I put 2 layers of jute on the trunk lid trim;
[/URL][/IMG]
I put a layer of jute on the rear headliner side trims;
[/URL][/IMG]
I put a layer of jute on the rear hip trim panels;
[/URL][/IMG]

ShawnShady

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 3 Pedals
Do you do any tests with a db meter before you started? How hard was it to get the rear package shelf out?

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Very Nice! It's a shame the factory didn't take these same steps...

Did you do anything to the door panels? Most of my rattles seem to come from the door and the headliner (right by my head of course).

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
It seems that you have very sharp ears. Otherwise the auto manufacturer would have put additional insulation to dampen noise.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
I've just got started...

I have the doors to do and the floor and the cowl and the hood plus the trunk lid itself.

Tw at I've done so far took less than 1 hour to disassemble. The rear deck shelf was fairly easy to take apart.

martiniwg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M - 2015 Golf 6M
Subscribed! And very nice man, I will be doing same thing after my warranty ends. Thanks for the photos and explanations, will be very useful !

martiniwg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M - 2015 Golf 6M
Only because here in Qc, Canada dealers are just looking for something wrong so they don't have to do the job for free... I could just ask them to do it themselves but then again I don't trust them a lot... That's why. I posted a thread on the tires that came OEM on my car and when I went to see them they told me it was my driving that did that to the tire... I honestly hate the dealership and their lame excuses sometimes...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Has all of this made a significant difference? Do you plan to insulate the headliner? Also, how did you start when removing the rear deck? Does it come out alone? Or does something else need to be removed first?

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Jute is were it is at

Has all of this made a significant difference? Do you plan to insulate the headliner? Also, how did you start when removing the rear deck? Does it come out alone? Or does something else need to be removed first?
Thanks everyone

Dynamat type sound deadener is designed to eliminate resonance frequencies of sheet metal. Most cars wont resonate unless you have an aftermarket exhaust or a powerful subwoofer. Laying 100% surface area with this material is not necessary.

Jute absorbs sound and prevents sound waves from bouncing off of sheet metal. Jute is about the best method to quiet up a car. It's also inexpensive. 65$ got me a 10 yard roll which will do the whole car. It works beyond expectations.

MLV and CCF have their places but are more expensive. I have just started this project and already am loving the results. I have a complete 3" open exhaust back to a magnaflow muffler. Driving at 70mph and I can't here the exhaust note. Driving at 80mph and it becomes noticeable. The heat shield over the muffler is the cause for this. I will be applying sound deadener to it this weekend.

Removing the rear deck panel is painless and can be done in about 20-30 minutes. There are the following fasteners;
2-10mm nuts
2-torx screws
5-push pins
Edit......remove the rear seat base first, unsnap the front by just pulling upward then push rearward to unlock. Note the seat backs fold perfetly flat with the base removed.....
You must remove the trim panels over the rear door jambs first. Then unsnap the side trims above the rear deck. Then unsnap the deck lid and that's it.

Last edited:

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Rear seat foam strip!

I put in the foam strip behind the rear seats to effectively fill the gap when the seats are up. This alone made the cabin quieter! Thanks to the guys on the passat forum!
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Looks like you've done a great job. I agree that jute is much better return on investment. I was thinking of doing MLV in my doors and jute everywhere else. Also, Alphadamp is 50% off right now with the code "half-off"

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
The trunk lid continues.....

Last weekend I did the trunk lid trim. Last night I finished up the trunk lid.
Applied RAAMMAT;
[/URL][/IMG]
Applied Closed Cell Foam, boy this stuff is difficult to handle;
[/URL][/IMG]
Put back on trim and used as a guide to Trim the closed cell foam;
[/URL][/IMG]

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
The rear quarter panels

It was time to pull the side trim from the trunk, I decided to partially remove it. Was only 5 push pin fasteners to get it out this far.

I applied RAAMAT and you can see the factory blue sound dreading foam here;
[/URL][/IMG]

I then layered jute on top of as much as I could(
[/URL][/IMG]

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
The Cowl area.....

This spot was slow going but I "had" to do it. I removed the wipers and then pulled both trim halves off. Then cleaned, cleaned, cleaned the cavity out;
[/URL][/IMG]

Then piece by piece, RAAMAT was layed in;
[/URL][/IMG]

Closed cell foam was then applied;
[/URL][/IMG]

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Monster Mat

Extra insulation or just over doing it?
Well, my plans dictate a quieter ride than a stock TDi even with my exhaust system. So I put a layer of jute and covered with Vinyl to the bottom of the Monster Mat;
[/URL][/IMG]

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Impressions thus far

I went for a test drive and all I can say is wow! Prior to these steps, my cabin noise significantly increased when the seats where folded down as compared to when they where closed. Now it's not any different. It's much quieter, and the sub works much better. Now to do the doors. I looked at the muffler heat shields and this may require dropping the exhaust to do properly.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
The front doors

Well I have both front doors done. There is a little sound deadener mat in the outer door skins. There is ZERO, insulation. Doing this will net huge dividends.
I added some more RAAMAT to the outer door skin, basically everywhere I could get my fingers into;
[/URL][/IMG]
I added a 7" square piece of closed cell foam directly behind the door speaker;
[/URL][/IMG]
I then layed RAAMAT to the inner doorskin;
[/URL][/IMG]
I added a layer of closed cell foam over the RAAMAT;
[/URL][/IMG]
Last but not least a layer of jute on the door panel;
[/URL][/IMG]

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Rear doors...

The rear doors are a little easier to work on.
Here is the door with RAAMAT on the outer door skin;
[/URL][/IMG]
Now the inner door skin with RAAMAT and top row of closed cell foam;
[URL=http://s306.photobucket.com/user/logpresser/media/CE5FAB41-43B0-4AD2-87CF-76DD4D76BA46.jpg.html][/URL]
Finished up with the closed cell foam;
[/URL][/IMG]

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
What's left?

Well I'm still going to tackle the floor, but another day. I've got about 24 hours into the project so far. I've got the speed sensitive volume turned all the way down and the perceived loudness of my music at just under mid volume is the same at 25mph as 65mph. This project has met my expectations and then some. The sound quality of the fender system has changed drastically (as expected)..... It changed a nice sounding system into a super sounding system.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Any links for the products you're using? I covered my whole trunk in dynamat. Decent price on amazon. I looked up jute there n no luck.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Well I'm still going to tackle the floor, but another day. I've got about 24 hours into the project so far. I've got the speed sensitive volume turned all the way down and the perceived loudness of my music at just under mid volume is the same at 25mph as 65mph. This project has met my expectations and then some. The sound quality of the fender system has changed drastically (as expected)..... It changed a nice sounding system into a super sounding system.

Really glad to hear that! I've been saying that a proper install and deadening would make it a night and day almost. I do believe the tweeters next to the glass is still an issue though. I can tell a difference now that I have the sound proof glass in my Hybrid. But it's still not an optimal location.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Any links for the products you're using? I covered my whole trunk in dynamat. Decent price on amazon. I looked up jute there n no luck.
I picked up the RAAMAT and foam as kit#2 directly from them. Just go to raam audio online. I got my jute locally from an Auto interior shop.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Really glad to hear that! I've been saying that a proper install and deadening would make it a night and day almost. I do believe the tweeters next to the glass is still an issue though. I can tell a difference now that I have the sound proof glass in my Hybrid. But it's still not an optimal location.

Where did you get the glass? How did it happen? Cracked windshield need replacing?

Yes, the tweeters could use some aiming.....so to speak. I am going to try a dashmat.... A molded one from Coverking. This should help a little. Plus the glare......will be gone.

Last edited:

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Oh man!!...I've been wanting a decent dashmat for a while. I'm going to look at that myself.

My windshield never broke. The Hybrids come with the sound proof glass from factory. You really can hear a difference with it too since the tweeter is right there. I use to have some nasty reflections with the TDI Fender system. It's not so bad now...still there. But like I said...I still need to install my equipment when I get home from deployment.

I'll try to reuse the factory location but if my processor can't help tame the reflections then I'll be doing sail panel pods.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Very Nice! It's a shame the factory didn't take these same steps...

Did you do anything to the door panels? Most of my rattles seem to come from the door and the headliner (right by my head of course).
my doors are done and the car is 100% rattle free.

From the factory, they did an okay job securing the wiring to the door, but with a plastic door panel with no insulation.....it's just a rattle(s) waiting to happen. Now all of my wiring is sandwiched between closed cell foam and jute insulation.....