project: rally fever/ light bar

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
flatblackrab said:
i just need to find someone to actually make these for me and sell them in a non-profit setting...
Speaking for myself I have no problem paying you for the time you put in to design and debug this thing (especially if that made it more likely I might actually get ahold of one).

Have you considered selling or licensing the design to someone who's already set up to bend metal and sell stuff to TDIheads... maybe one of the Skid Plate guys for example? They'd save on development costs, and you wouldn't have to hassle with getting the things built and shipped...

Eddy

flatblackrab

Veteran Member
TDI
none but sell me yours
its taking some time but i should have a bunch of these available after the new year some time...i know its late but better than ever i can tell you that much.

im doing some fab work currently .... once i have the final done its off and out of my hands to a local shop to have them welded...

keep an eye on the post.

Monkey1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 03, silver
Clean install

Hella 550 driving light, mounted with a custom bracket to the steel channel behind the bumper.
Clean install, does not vibrate, full adjustability. Projects nice beam pattern down road.
I had these on for the late country road drive home after working afternoon shifts.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Monkey1 said:
Hella 550 driving light, mounted with a custom bracket to the steel channel behind the bumper.
Clean install, does not vibrate, full adjustability. Projects nice beam pattern down road.
I had these on for the late country road drive home after working afternoon shifts.

Looks good! Similar to what I've done only I bent up some crappy custom mount that uses the same bolts as flatblackrab's bar but is entirely behind the bumper and the lights can be hidden behind the lower grill (my lights are smaller than yours). I need to rebuild the mount out of something more sturdy though as mine bounce around like crazy. It was mostly just for test fit anyway and I just haven't got around to making something more sturdy.

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
Here are some pics of my new Jetta with the light wing I described a whlie back. I just mounted them today and will try and get around to wiring them this week sometime.

Not very sneaky, low profile, or pretty, but very simple. I am concerned that the turn signals may be blocked too much though. I might flip the whole thing upside down and mount the lights the other way. then they would fall on the front of the bumper instead.

Still playing,
Mikey

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
mikey141414

I like the look of that - particularly the idea of turning it upside down and then mounting the lights on the top so they'd be at about the same level as the license plate as I think it wouldn't effect the aerodynamics as much as if it were mounted up where your picture shows.

I need to ask the dumb question of the day - how does it mount to the car? Is it fastened to something solid like the front rebar or just screwed to the bumper cover.

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
No, it is not bolted down yet. For now it is just screwed into the plate holder. I'm sure they will shake like crazy and would probably fall off eventually if left this way. I will be pulling the bumper in the next few weeks to do some repairs and when I'm in there, I will extend some bolts or some sort of bracket to attach firmly the light wing.

The one thing I do like about the location of the lights right now, is that I can see the tops of the lights when I drive. It gives me this new sense of driving a rally car!! ANd, it gives me a visual for where the absolute front end of my car is, which makes me much more confident about driving close, parking, and overall spacial recognition of my car.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Light bar

After reading all the posts on this issue, and seeing how much interest there is for a working, decent looking light bar, I'll add my 2 cents worth. I recently had a light bar made for my Golf, using 3/4" stainless pipe, made with four mounting tabs for the lights. Two for driving lights and two for fogs. You can read my post in this forum under "lighting issues", as to the results. There are no vibration issues, and I'm more than happy with it. After seeing how solid the set up is, I will now change the PIAA 60-XT driving lights for a set of Cibie' Ce'sar's. I had hesitated to use them because of their weight, but now realize that's a non-issue. I now plan on having another one built for a Jetta I recently purchased, but won't be using until this Spring. However, this time, since I have a working model, I plan on taking it to a local marine manufacturing company, that I've dealt with in the past, and that does custom work. The last time I used them, they manufactured and custom bent a railing for a pulpit I was putting on a boat I had. Since they are set up to do just this type of work, especially with stainless, I will get them to make a duplicate for me for the Jetta, and post the results along with the price. The only difference this time, is that I'll be using 1" pipe instead of 3/4". Here's the link to the picture of the bar on my Golf.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=62252&size=big&cat=505

Gerber177

TDI
2000 1.9L GLS VW Jetta
Anyone still active on this thread? I was wondering if you had the measurements on your build. I was hoping to make something like it for a welding class project. Thanks

Pipe208

TDI
As far as the heights go, i am thinking about making another style bar ...they will raise the lights, i totaly agree with people and what they have stated....when i was making it i really wanted to but using a hand bender it would have been really hard to make more bends. now that it is going to be cnc mandrel bent...for sure.

- - - - - - - - - - -UPDATED PART BELOW- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

here are some updated photos, i have the bar sent out for quoting and i should know soon on how much it will cost.

here it is before the install, the wires are ran through the inside this can be something you want or something you man not want.

next is the bar ready for install,

once you get each side started to the vechile mounts you can stand your vent pieces up like this to support it while you work on it (totally got luckly) but it makes it so you can install it by yourself.

once you have your grounds tight you can start to adjust the bar and tighten it down here are the right and left sides

after the the stuff it tight you can push the vents back into place,

here are some parts of it installed

distance from above

side to side with min wires exposed.

finally all done. the install took about 10-15 min after i had the vent modded out.

i had the bar on for about a week now and i can honestly saw there is little to no movement or bounce on the bar.....on my way home i go over a series of train tracks that they are as steady as my headlights are.

i did change the bar some what for the final parts im gonna make. they will sit closer to the bumper, they have a larger radius 3" compaired to 2.5" (you cant tell the differance) and its a little bit wider in the front (this allows the vent to slide on and back in place really easy.

thanks aaron
Can u make me one 2001 jetta id gladly pay you