Project Phoenix: The Wagon Rising.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Tongsli, check your inbox.

Alright gents. I need a little motivation.

I can't believe the car is this horrible. I'm in it monitary wise, way to far and I still have a ways to go. I've sourced most of the interior though so I really just need to put to back together. Then comes the part of the suspension, then engine/trans mechanicals, then a good buff/wax.

I guess I'm just losing motivation. This is a gigantic pain in the butt without a garage and Pa's weather sucks to make any plans. Should I cut my losses and see what I can get out of the car, or solider on? I could probably rent a big ol storage unit for a month and finish the car, but there's even more money I'm shelling out.

You're trying to do it all at once and make it perfect. Forget it! Make it better and closer to perfect along the way. Get it useable (whatever that means to you) and drive it and enjoy it. When you have motivation again-- and/or nicer weather-- then work on some big things. Trying to do it all in the winter without proper accommodations, and spending $$$ left and right, sucks!

Do it in little chunks and lower your standards for awhile. It can get to where you want it eventually. Just not next month, and maybe not even next year... And that's okay :D;)

Andrew

Ps. Don't sell it. It's yours now!

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
^^^^ what he said. Make small goals and get them done then move on to the next small goal.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
You could also get one of those garage tents or just rig up some tarps to work under. But definitely keep it, mine is still not rid of all the mess ups from the previous owner but it has come a long way.

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
wow!
What price are you looking to sell it for?
No idea what you paid for it but with a full detail you could of squeezed out$4'000 the way you bought it. I have an 03 wagon auto and got it from original owner. You really are trying to do too much too fast.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
I paid 3500, plus a few small parts I already have to fix it.

I don't know. I think it'd be hard selling it with a gutted interior. Half of me wants to save it and the other half feels it's to far gone. Going to talk to a friend of mine that owns a few storage units, see if I can cut a deal on a 10x40 for a month.

I'm too OCD to half-ass it. It either needs to be done right and completely, or not at all. It's a fault I've had for years. It has to be perfect, lol.

Last edited:

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
I used to detail cars also and a good carpet cleanse would of gotten the smell out. You should put it back together and either enjoy it or sell it. You weren't ready for what you got yourself into but at least you tried.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
I used to detail cars also and a good carpet cleanse would of gotten the smell out. You should put it back together and either enjoy it or sell it. You weren't ready for what you got yourself into but at least you tried.
I've been a detailer for the past 15 years. That was way more than a shampoo'er could handle. F that noise.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
You weren't ready for what you got yourself into but at least you tried.
There is a big difference in being in too deep when you know what is required ahead of time, and being in too deep when you thought you were buying a sound car.

I for one do not care for the wagons, but there are those who do, and they bring in a big premium. I say continue on, in the end you will know whether or not you need to keep it. It will likely become a love/hate relationship.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My vote: continue on. I want to see this thread come to a happy ending no matter how long it takes.

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
I want to see the wagon finished as a wagon owner myself but its draining his wallet and thats the problem he is having.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Finally making some progress. Well, spending more money and a small amount of progress.

Just returned from a 10 hour roadtrip to pick up this girl:

image by SmallsVw, on Flickr

She's a 2002 2.0/5-spd with a broken timing belt and has met the end of the road at a short 110k. However, she will still live on, as she also has a beautiful black leather interior and all of the panels I need to finish the inside of my wagon.

Now I just wish it would warm up a tad so I can start teardown.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
You are a brave man with way too much time on his hands.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Well, got some elbow grease working today. Finished tearing out the headliner and all post covers. Busted out the deep cleaners a few times, followed up with some diluted bleach spray and a final rinse. Have it drying this evening.

Hope tomorrow to have gold wagon dismantled and everything cleaned and organized. Then I'm going to use my federal holiday on Monday and hopefully have the black car back together minus headliner and pillar trim. I'm still playing with fabric and options to have it the way I want it. I'll drive it without the upper stuff.

Then I hope this week to get it on the lift get suspension/drivetrain parts ordered, then taking the engine out and giving it a good wash and inspection and cleaning the engine bay. Hope to have it 90% and driving by first or second week in Feb.

westcoastmike

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Comfortline
damn that gold wagon!!! I would have kept that one. Dark blue... boring! plus it always looks clean :confused: Can I have the gold wagon pleeease

Rsgunther

TDI
2013 Passat
So what are you doing? Getting the black one or the gold one ready??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Black.

The black one will be the driver. Gold is for parts.

I got it stripped today. Getting a bite to eat, then busting out my hot water extractor on the carpet and seatbelts. Might try to get the dash in this evening yet.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
How do you like me now!

You have no idea, how friggin' stoked I am. A good friend and a few dozen hours this weekend and it officially has a new(Er) and non smelly interior. Save for a center console and trim. My donor car's was busted.

Now I just need to wrap the headliner and all of the interior trim pieces and it'll be done.

It's loaded up on the trailer to make a journey over to a buddies house whom has a lift, so we can get a good diagnosis of the suspension and prepare to pull the engine. Stay tuned for more!

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Awesome work!

I'm also a PA resident and I agree with your plan to use the parts from the gold wagon to refurb the TDI. While mechanically, swapping the engine into the gold wagon may be easier, the way registrations and inspections work in PA, it would be a royal PITA to get a TDI-swapped gasser car inspected here.

Anyway, what are you plans for the gold car? part out? I ask because I could really use a few of the parts. LF fender and the hatch.

Good luck! I'm hoping this (and getting active on the Club again) will inspire me to finally get my own wagon back on the road. It's been torn apart on the lift in my garage since 12/2013. :eek:

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Awesome work!

I'm also a PA resident and I agree with your plan to use the parts from the gold wagon to refurb the TDI. While mechanically, swapping the engine into the gold wagon may be easier, the way registrations and inspections work in PA, it would be a royal PITA to get a TDI-swapped gasser car inspected here.

Anyway, what are you plans for the gold car? part out? I ask because I could really use a few of the parts. LF fender and the hatch.

Good luck! I'm hoping this (and getting active on the Club again) will inspire me to finally get my own wagon back on the road. It's been torn apart on the lift in my garage since 12/2013. :eek:
Shoot me a PM. I'll give ya my address if you're close. I'm parting the gold car out.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Matt, do you need my buddy to paypal you money now? ( front and rear bumper/rebar) rear door seals. He can't get them for a couple of weeks. He's going up to Jeff's(Rocketchip) and was going to stop by then. Don't ship my front door seals, it can wait for him to pick up.

Just let me know how much you want for the rear door seals and if you want the paypal now.

thanks!

Lito

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Brief update:

Got the car up on the lift earlier this week. The underside isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. All struts are blown, one axle boot, both outer tie-rods, strut bearings and control arms are shot also.

Tires, brakes, wheel bearings all check out.

This engine though. OMG. I've never seen something so gunked up and oily. Timing belt looks great. Seems like the roller is new and I see no M&P marks, so I'm "hoping" it was done correctly. The P.O's were adamant that the TB was done every 100k. So this one should be about halfway through it's life. I'm going to wait to change it, once I get a few miles on the car, to make sure everything is kosher.

I dropped a big order over at boraparts to the tune of about 1100 bucks for all new upgraded bushings, a set of Bilsteins HD's, and a pile of other stuff. Hopefully it will be here soon next week.

Can't wait to get some more pictures taken and get this thing back on the road!