project mini estiesel

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
Well today started our project.. well project for the project. im putting a golf 1.9tdi engine in pumpkin, the first one that ive ever heard of being done so its gonna take quite a bit of thinking.

i finished the rebuild on pumpkin back in april 2009, and now im bored again so in goes this.,

so far ive removed the engine from the golf.. and the donor car... i call it the monstrosity.

it is what used to be a clubman estate. and has taken a turn for the worst. but for 100 pounds, i have a donor to cut up so i know what to and what not to do on pumpkin. plus the monstrosity had almost mint rear estate bumpers.. so i nearly got my moneys worth from that.

i plan to have it in and ready to go by the end of april in time for the imm 2010
either way heres what ive got done so far.

well thats all ive got for now. hopefully ill have it all "cut" in tomorrow.. then ill start on the subframe. ill try to post pictures as i get things done. inputs please...

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
How much more space does the Clubman provide under the bonnet versus the standard Mini?
Will you use the Mini's gearbox, too? How well with that hold up to the diesel torque? I have seen how fragile they are with 1275 Cooper power. I can't imagine them coping with a 1900 TDI.
And what gearing if the more compact Mini box is to be retained?

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
the mini gearbox is essentially the oilpan of the engine, so its impossible to use. theres tons of conversions available for mini's. this is the first tdi ever (that ive heard of) most people do the 1.8 vtec motor from the civic type r. (b18c) pushing about 200 hp @9k rpm. im sure it will hold up.. well atleast i hope it will. does anyone know of a remote oil filter kit available?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Great! I wanted to do this but here in the usa its hard to get mini's. Glad to see you UK boys are playing!

On your question for the AHU style blocks NLS (nothing Leaves Stock) and 42 draftdesigns sells a ABA oil block plate that should work for you. You will need to make up AN lines and your own oil filter assembly though. I would also suggest getting the crank case vent in AN fittings and If you can convert it over to a VNT turbo while its out. Also, do your timing belt, waterpump, and thermost on the engine. Good luck! keep posting up!

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
im actually an american stationed here in the uk. (USAF) is there any way to tell what kind of block i have by looking at it? i cant find an engine code anywhere. and ive heard somewhere that the oilfilter for a chevy will work too.. ph8 i think. i know its shorter but i remember someone saying something about a bypass setting on the filter.. i dont want to use remote filter if i dont have to but looks like i may have to. anyways goin back to the garage to pull the turbo/exhaust and intake manifold.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
I ran into the oil filter issue with my Saturn TDI conversion; the TDI uses a 3/4" thread, which is a common size for many makes and models. A PH8A filter will spin right on. I also discovered that my Saturn filter (which is much smaller) will fit, so there is a wide range of sizes between those two.

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
cool thanks.. so any one that spins on will work? obviously with it being smaller id have to change the oil sooner. and again thanks for the information. and just as an update.. the engine is all "cut" in, just alittle clearance issue with the diff being so big needs about 1/2 inch (well its about 1 inch too far forward for the shafts to be centered, not sure if/how it will affect it) i think im gonna grind flat one of the bolts just to see how much room it gives me. ill get some pics up soon.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What will the left side's shaft length end up as? You'll want to keep the diff to wheel hub as in-line as possible to keep the C/V angle to a minimum.
Not just fore-aft, but also height....

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
im thinkin something around 7 inches of shaft exluding ends... tho i just looked at ebay.co.uk and there is a vw transporter transmission which has a long extension on the right shaft, which will make it about 11" shorter. i think i might go that route.. or just have a big shaft on one side if i cant find anyone willing to sell just the end..

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
ok sorry for the lack of updates.. heres what i have done so far.
only had to cut 1/2 the inner wins the one with the rad already had the grille removed but it was only half that i cut off.

its looking like its going to fit. even with the turbo installed. with no cutting of the firewall.. however i will have to use a smaller oil filter.
next week starts the subframe build. i have a few ideas but we'll see how it works out.

it fits better than this at the turbo.

i also have a few ideas concerning the shaft length. the vw transporter has the same transmission, but with an extension on the end of the diff housing which will make the shaft shorter, limiting the torque steer.
also i learned thru research that the mk3 tdi from the golf has the tallest final drive available, at 3.10 so should be around 2800 rpm at 70 mph (pushing 13" tires).. not too bad but remember the tdi pegs out at ~5500 rpm (i think). and starts producing boost at 2200rpm. but it shouldnt be a problem.
anyways ill holler at yall tomorrow with some more pics..

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
95 indian red wagon (glx swapped), 97 classic green wagon (Glx swapped)..SOLD
what are you planning on doing suspension/brake wise?

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
ive already upgraded everything during the origional rebuild 8 months ago.. adjustable suspension, slotted drilled disk upgrade. i dont know the exact weight of the 1.9 motor but as far as i can tell it only weighs no more than 50 more pounds than the mini engine.. which is also cast iron.. both the head and block..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I can't see any pics from where I'm at. What year is the mini the TDI is going into? I plan to add this to the TDI swap directory :)

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
any updated??? just picked up my jetta tdi today... i should be working on it soon.. but i need to watch you so i know what im doing :D

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
i gracefully bow out of this swap... i dont want to extend the front of my mini... and theres no way its fitting if i dont... ill keep watching in envy/jealousy... good luck

wilp99

TDI
mk3 golf tdi in a mini
sorry for the lack of updates. things are going slowly.. i got about `1/3 of the subframe done, just need to figure some things out about the mounts. im currently making the rear (engine) mount, the trans mount matched perfectly with a civic trans mount. so all i need to figure out is the front one next to the oil filter.

i still need to take some pics of what ive done. just been really busy.. were moving ont he 10th so everything will be on hold till after that. (not looking forward to transporting all this stuff.) plus i bought my civic vti (b18c4, limited slip, etc) for my other project but that swap will be basically plug and play as they already make a subframe and shafts for it.

does anyone know if i could use any oil filter that will fit. or does it have to be the ph8 size. i have one that fits and seals but its the standard size.. like what would be on a civic or something.. any help is appreciated.

highbody.. sorry to hear about your mini.. i didnt even think about the size of the standard round nose mini. maybee a clubman flip front or something would help.

and the estate is a 1978.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
did you get the civic from Barnsley by any chance?

Ry