Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

SLF-951

TDI
MK3 Jetta. MK4 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately I don't know at this time. The scanner I have doesn't support airbag diagnostics on VW's. Guess it's time I buy my own Vag-Com so I can code this one to manual and figure what happened with the airbag system.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Unfortunately I don't know at this time. The scanner I have doesn't support airbag diagnostics on VW's. Guess it's time I buy my own Vag-Com so I can code this one to manual and figure what happened with the airbag system.
Yeah, and even if you fix the problem, the light will stay on until cleared.

SLF-951

TDI
MK3 Jetta. MK4 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, and even if you fix the problem, the light will stay on until cleared.
Got the Vag-Com today, cleared the airbag code, was low voltage something, didn't come back. I did have some things disconnected and had the key on several times during the wiring. So just a fluke. Coded for manual transmission and everything is working fine with the swap...

Now onto this : 01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201): Electrical Fault in Circuit. No ABS light, but the ESP light has been on since I bought it :(

QWASZX

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Reflex Silver (5-speed swap)
I am just starting on the wiring portion of my swap. Can I skip the cruise control wiring? I literally never use it and never will. I would rather not add unnecessary steps.

All I care about is the reverse lights and have the car to run smoothly with the swap(no codes and such).

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I am just starting on the wiring portion of my swap. Can I skip the cruise control wiring? I literally never use it and never will. I would rather not add unnecessary steps.
All I care about is the reverse lights and have the car to run smoothly with the swap(no codes and such).
Dave
Yes. just wire up the reverse lights, starter cancel, and recode the ECU.

alphaseinor

TDI
And what about the blue clutch pedal switch in that instance?

I thought you didn't care about the cruise... you wouldn't need the blue switch since you are not going to use it.

QWASZX

TDI
I thought you didn't care about the cruise... you wouldn't need the blue switch since you are not going to use it.

Correct, I was just verifying the blue switch wasn’t used for any other functions. I appreciate your help. Everything is wired up sound and now it’s time to put everything back together.

Thanks!

dvw23m

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I've been reading this for the past week or so. just finished. all 175 pages lol. Now I can't wait to start my swap. I just picked up a 04 Golf for my donor. Now just have to get the other stuff i need.

I'll be honest the wiring scares me, but I'll give it a shot

Last edited:

IsMuck

TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan
I just want to give a shout out to everyone in this thread who provided helpful information. I just successfully completed the auto-to-manual swap this weekend with almost not issues.
The only problem I'm having now is with the reverse lights. They were wired up exactly per the diagram with still no luck. I'll have to do some troubleshooting soon - but for now I'm going to enjoy this 5spd!!

RobertT

TDI
00, 01,02 beetles, 02 Jetta...flipped and totaled.04 Passat BHW
advice on 02M swaps

You can use these o-rings for your clutch slave cylinder, they are the same for the hards lines from ECS tuning or USP motorsports PN: 9464K15 "Round #010 Medium Hard Viton O-Ring, 0.239" I.D., 0.379"O.D" Why would I need extra orings? when you install certain clutches with an 02M you need a shim from NLS (nothing leaves stock) behind your slave cylinder to get your clutch to release. Found this out the hard way. But I enjoy this ryanp 02M every day.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Correct, I was just verifying the blue switch wasn’t used for any other functions. I appreciate your help. Everything is wired up sound and now it’s time to put everything back together.

Thanks!

It also makes it a little nicer to drive, as without that signal from the clutch switch, the ECU seems to make the revs drop a little slower when shifting I've noticed. When you're someone like me who knows exactly how fast the revs should drop and when it doesn't do what you expect it to, it drives me a little nuts.

So, wiring in the clutch switch just for that alone to me is worth it, but not everyone is as picky.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
So I basically took a whole day and read through the entire thread. I removed the parts from my 2002 a while ago and didn't remember where stuff went. IE. white clutch switch and brace to brake pedal. I have the wiring and the VCDS coding left to do. Also the clutch pedal installation. I need to rework the power steering line a little more. It's close but I'm not happy with it yet. Hopefully I'm driving it in a day or two.

Last edited:

Mikie243

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI
5 Speed Swap Engine Idle Pulsing and Speedo Inop

Good Evening Everyone, I've been going through the post and could not find a definitive answer or fix. Did the 5 speed swap on my 2002 Jetta TDI almost a year back, followed the instructions on from the posts, referred to the post and youtube for any problems that I was able to resolve. But, I could not find anything on a pulsing idle. Drives good, but the moment that it returns to idle speed, engine starts surging/pulsing. I see some posts about injectors, control of the injectors, clutch safety switch, ECU parameters. But I could not find anything on it. It Idled normally while it was one the automatic tune, but the moment i changed the coding to 0001, started idling weird. Any input for that would be much appreciated. Also, Speedo and Odometer haven't worked since I swapped in the transmission, found the existing connector for the VSS, but doesn't, fit in the manual transmission VSS. Any input on that would be much appreciated.

alphaseinor

TDI
Look at your iq, you'll likely need to do a hammer mod to reduce the fueling.

alphaseinor

TDI
The injected quantity is too low, a VCDS cable is needed to get the injected quantity. not sure if a high end scan tool has access to the adaptation channel.

if you do a search on here for `hammer mod`, you'll be able to find more information. basically you will be loosening the top of the pump (which requires a special tool) and moving the top of the pump to set your IQ.

the symptom you are asking about is more commonly known as `slowdown shudder` and is listed in this thread as well, although I can't remember where as this is a very long thread that is 15+ years old.

cantelonjeff

TDI
2002 jetta 2003 jetta 2002 jetta
Hey guys , I bought a 2002 with an auto and have been swapping it over to a 5 speed but am having starting issues ... i did all the wiring changes but this car had a short from fuse 11 to the instrument cluster when i got it , so i replaced the wire with a new one . I also did an egr delete . I had to get another ecu because someone must have swapped out the inst cluster at some point and after the short the immo numbers didn’t match anymore . The new ecu has immo off and egr delete . Now when you start it , it fired right up but when I shut the key off it keeps running . So i went out and blocked the egr off to stall it . Try to restart and it won’t do anything unless you pull off the battery cables and hold them together . Then it will start again. It seems like something on that relay rewire must not be right??? Anyone have any other ideas. One time after checking relays and pulling relay 53 ( on the rewire job ) and replaced it , it started ( instead of holding the cables together )

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Will it restart if you just pull out the key...and then reinsert the key and turn?

cantelonjeff

TDI
No it won’t.... have to pull the cables and hold together for 20 seconds , it started once after pulling the rewired relay 53 after putting it back in . It once or twice also acted like it had no diesel at the injectors ( cracked them and only a dribble ) once i held the cables together for 20 sec it fired right up

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are those two wires that you can either wire up to the clutch switch or simply tie them together - whatever relay those go into, and wherever they're wired...that'd be where I'm focusing my attention.

cantelonjeff

TDI
The clutch switch seems to work correctly as it won’t turn over unless the clutch is depressed , plus the reverse lights work also , so i will double check the wires again today to be sure.. ...thanks for the reply

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe see what happens when you bypass the clutch switch and just fuse those two wires together (of your own volition and at your own risk, of course).

cantelonjeff

TDI
Tried cutting the wire for the cruise to the ecu but that didn’t make any difference, when i unplug relay 53 ( on the rewire job )and put it back in , it starts and it is wired correctly according to the prints on the first page , think there must be other wiring issues esp when it won’t shut off with the key , my other jetta has an egr delete and it shuts off no problem. Have way to much time in this thing

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I know when I did my swap I decided that I wasn't going to change any wiring until I absolutely sure that I understood what I was doing. It took a while but I got it and everything worked the first time. I even added the coolant glow plugs because where I live where they are useful.

I had real issues with finding the right wire locations on the 175/53 socket. I finally took a picture of the socket with my phone and then enlarged it. It doesn't matter from which corner you start counting the middle wire is always #5. Once you find the actual number 5 then you have a chance to find the rest. Take your time and look carefully. I then took a fine Sharpie and marked the numbers around the outside of the socket.

My wires for the ECM weren't anywhere's close to the picture in the write up. The numbers were right but not in the same place. So I took the socket apart and took a picture of each of the sides of the two internal sockets. There is only one number at each end, so you need to count the wires to get to where you need to be. Again I marked the locations for the wires with a Sharpie. I installed three wires into the ECM plug. One for the cruise control and two for the glow plug relays.

Last edited:

cantelonjeff

TDI
I was able to find all the numbers and almost all my wires matched colour wise etc , the reverse lights work now and the car won’t start unless the pedal is pushed in , the problem is something in the starter circuit on either pins 2,8 or 4,6 can’t remember which one ( i know the starter wire is red/black strip seems odd when i pull the now 52 relay out and put it back in it will crank and start , once i just held both battery cables together for 20 secs and reattached and it started , weird that the key won’t shut it off either ( have to starve the intercooler line to shut off )

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm curious too; once you figure this out, please be sure to post back here - very interested in what would/could cause such bizarre behaviour.

cantelonjeff

TDI
I talked to another guy thats an hour away and he had done the swap and he told me i was supposed to join two wires at the transmission range plug to make the ignition work properly but all I see on these pages are the wires you use for the reverse switch , I might see if I can go check his wiring to see if I’m missing something....

QWASZX

TDI
Stupid question...
First timing belt job status-post manual swap. If I didn't pay attention to where the TDC mark was on the flywheel when installing, is there a chance the mark may not really represent TDC or is there only one way to bolt the flywheel on?
Thanks