Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

babydoll

TDI
01 jetta 5 spd 01 golf 5 spd cruze diesel 9 spd auto 17
trying for the cruise, did the inside wiring, wiring on the ecu/tcu has me stumped
moved the #19 wire [black] to pin 66 car was sluggish got a maf code, moved it back, # 18 blue/ light blue [had continuity with yellow red wire ], moved it to pin #66, throttle wouldn't work scanner said no throttle pos. return , moved it back car runs well again, looking for more wiring possibilities

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
yeah... if #19 doesn't have continuity to the TCU pin, then you are on the wrong pin.

Pin #66, when you are done, should have continuity to the bottom clutch pedal switch. if it doesn't then you did something wrong.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Also the wire at pin 19 will not be black but yellow/red. Look on page 41 of the attached howto for a picture of the ecu plug with pin 19 and pin 66 locations. It is very easy to mis count the pins.
The yellow/red from the ecu goes to the tcu plug. Check it’s continuity. This wire you need to connect to the yellow/blue wire in the tcu plug and it is this same yellow/blue wire (from the pin 9 of the old 175 relay connector under the dash) you connect to the clutch pedal cruise switch and should, from this point, give you continuity back to the yellow/red wire that you moved from pin 19 to the empty slot of pin 66.

Last edited:

babydoll

TDI
good news , I have cruise, no indicator light I guess it has one maybe a bulb.
the previous owner did say had it hooked up to a vag com so I guess they changed it from a auto to std with it,, don't have mine yet. pretty shallow history , thanks much guys [ was looking at connectors on ecu backwards I guess]

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I forgot which cars have cruise lights, but I'm pretty sure it's only automatics... maybe Marin can chime in...

babydoll

TDI
I wonder where you could connect to have a light while cruise is engaged put a optional light somewhere

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
My 2001 Golf (factory automatic) always had a cruise light. You could probably swap in a cluster with a cruise light. Keep in mind the cruise light is rather worthless from the factory. It comes on when the cruise switch is turned to on. The cruise light in some clusters can be modified to come on only when the cruise is engaged. The cluster currently my Golf is that way.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Just finished converting my 02 Golf to a 5 spd and loving it! This forum was really helpful.

I have a question though. I am noticing a lot more engine noise coming into the cabin and it seems to be coming from the centre console area and also telegraphing in through the shifter. Has anyone else had this issue? I was wondering if I didn't put the heat shield on exactly right or something. The only other thing I could see that might be causing it is that one of my coolant lines leftover from the automatic is touching one of the shift cables (the part that doesn't move) so that could be sending engine vibrations up the cable.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
If you can feel the vibration, then I would check and recheck everything. Coolant lines shouldn't rattle- and they shouldn't be touching anything either- they will get holes worn through them. If you just think the noise is louder, you may just be hearing clutch noise- especially if you used a smf conversion or a Lightweight flywheel.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
It is not as much that I can feel the vibrations as much as I can hear them when you get close to the shifter. The coolant line that touches is one of the leftover trans cooler lines and it touches at the metal elbow at the back of the engine, so there is no way for me to move the coolant line out of the way as it is fixed (unless I bend the elbow) and the shift linkage is fixed by the bracket on the trans.

I have already anticipated the wear and have placed another piece of hose over the line as a protective jacket.

I did indeed install a SMF, but the noise I am hearing is quite distinctly engine noise coming from the centre console area.

EDIT: I discovered what the problem was. The donor car I got the shifter from was missing a piece of foam insulation that sits around the base of the shifter below the boot. Found one on another car, installed it and the noise went away.

Last edited:

SelbyTDi

TDI
2005 Golf Tdi
word docs???

See several people talked about turning this forum in to a word doc or pdf was anyone successful in putting together a helpful one? would love to have a hard copy to look on while doing my conversion.

SelbyTDi

TDI
2005 Golf Tdi
Recently bought a 2005 golf tdi automatic to make into my daily driver (this is my first vw), car will not shift out of first gear and has check engine light. upon getting the car back to my garage i discovered tranny hadn't been serviced properly. i properly serviced the golf and was hoping this would help get the car driving while i gather parts needed for swap but no luck. it is a theory of mine that due to being in properly serviced that the car put itself in to safe mood to protect itself. is there anyway i can test this theory. i was aware of a transmission problem at time of purchase and plan on doing a swap but was hoping to get it driving for a month or two any advice or theories would be appreciated.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Are there actually 2 dust tin plates?
I've looked up "06a 103 645" and "06a 103 645 m" with and without the spaces. I get the exact same results with both searches.

Additionally, ECS tuning returns "no results" when searching specifically for 06A 103 645 M

MyFastVDub

TDI
2003 MK4 Golf GTi 1.8T

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
The first two work together. The pictures are deceiving but the second one in your list isn’t like 2”x4”. There is also a screw and washer that join them and allow the little plate to swing out. I don’t know about the other two, they don’t look like parts I’ve used in a swap, but maybe those part numbers superceded?

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Hey wondering if anyone in the know can advise on something regarding the the wiring for the 2004 Bew auto to standard swap. 2004 Jetta tdi wagon

I have run into some confusion with the process where is it states for the starter interlock wiring to check the wires for any unwanted ecu connections. I do have the Bentley but following the wiring diagrams has the best of me so far.

Wondering are there supposed to be connections from these wires at the ecu, ie one connection but more than that indicating some kind of short or altered wiring.

I have continuity between blk/blue (at relay connector) to Blk/Grn on pin 35 of the smaller ecu connector.

Hoping I am overthinking the instructions, but just concerned with blowing up an ecu.

Appreciate any insight from anyone running into the same concern.

alphaseinor

TDI
You won't touch anything on the small connector.

Almost nothing from the wiring diagram on the ALH will work.

More information in a bit.

alphaseinor

TDI
Still Under Construction
5 speed automatics require more wiring than on the 4 speed. All connectors in engine compartment are different
The starter wiring is identical with a 53 relay replacing the 173 relay
reverse wiring is similar, but not exact, so read on
On the BEW engine: The cruise control cancel switch is a +12v normally closed, to the bottom switch on pedal which connects to pin 43 on the large ECU connector.
Move pin 94/59 to pin 94/43 on the Large ECU Connector.This is the kick down (F8) switch wire which we will be re-appropriating for the cruise cancel switch​
Cut pin 1 on the throttle pedal connector and connect it, using a new wire to the bottom clutch cancel switch​
Connect other side of Bottom clutch cancel switch to black/Green wire from ALH wiring instructions​
A27 Bus will not be present. This is how the ECU knows how fast the cluster is reporting the vehicle speed, On BEW engines the A27 bus is a connection between pin 3 on the blue connector of the instrument cluster to pin 90 on the large ECU connector.
Move pin 94/28 to pin 94/90 on the large ECU connector, which is where the A27 bus is supposed to go​
Move the engine harness side of pin 9 to pin 6 in the orange connector in the plenum (under the wiper motor on the drivers side) This is the signal from the instrument cluster to the ECU, we are just connecting it to the wire in the prior step.
The VSS harness is not present and must be wired in manually: This requires a 10a fused positive connection (usually fuse 7 bus B163) to pin1 , ground to pin 3, and a wire from pin 2 to the instrument cluster blue connector pin 28
Pin 1 is connected to the reverse light positive wire​
Pin 3 is connected to the ground in the range switch (brown wire)​
Cut pin 56 from the transmission computer, this leads to the instrument cluster for the VSS signal on Pin 2​
Connect pin 2 from the VSS to pin 56 of the transmission computer using a new wire, or you can use one from the transmission range switch that goes directly to the TCU as a short cut.​
Consult your bentley manual for all other details... Your Mileage May Vary... Yada Yada Yada
Kinda been doing this for 12 1/2 years... I have ways of making this work :)

Last edited:

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Thanks for the reply,

I will have to double check my steps so far. I got past the cruise wiring already as you wrote out above. The reverse wiring from the relay area is showing continuity to a pin 35 on the ECU.

Since that seems incorrect I will have to check it again and see if I can figure that out.

alphaseinor

TDI
The reverse wiring from the relay area is showing continuity to a pin 35 on the ECU.
Yeah. There shouldn't be anything to pin 35 on the ECU from the reverse switch wiring.

It's pretty simple wiring
+12v to the reverse switch (and the VSS) which is a black/green wire from the transmission range switch
The reverse switch
The other side of the reverse switch goes to the Yellow/blue trace wire with continuity to the back of the 175 relay.
Once you have that, you have switched 12v to the interior of the car. cut the yellow/blue wire flush with the relay panel.
Now you need to direct it to the back of the car, which is the black/blue wire... however this one you don't cut flush, because you need that to start the car. leave a small lead for that off the relay block.
Now butt connect the yellow and blue wire to the black and blue wire that lead back into the harness (not the one on the relay block).

Not too hard.

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Thank you Sir,

Got the main wiring done and tested. All good

Pieced it together with your post and the other contributions of those on this site, as some things were not a match on my wiring. Made for a slick install and no unneeded extra wires via the plenum.

Coding her up and will see what errors we get if any.

thanks for the time spent to give the extra input.

Peter

QWASZX

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Reflex Silver (5-speed swap)
Im just finishing up ripping everything out of my donor car. Before I scrap the car I want to triple check and make sure I have everything I need.

On the clutch pedal assembly, I have the two switches (female side) but do I need the male side of the switches wired to my donor?

List of what I have so far:

Axles
Dust tins
Trans
Trans mount
Shifter assembly
Shift linkage
Clutch hydraulic line
Clutch pedal assembly/master cyl
53 relay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
You will need the wired pig tails of those two clutch switches to finish the wiring. You really don’t need the master cylinder as the master cylinder on the auto has the nipple for the hose that goes to the clutch slave cylinder. One only has to cut off the plugged tip to make it functional.
You will need the 5 speed starter, shift boot and shift knob.

SLF-951

TDI
MK3 Jetta. MK4 Jetta Wagon
I finished my 04 BEW conversion yesterday, but have been driving the car for a month or so.... With no reverse lights, cruise, speedo and the auto trans selector zip tied in place to start the car.

Everything is working except my cruise cancel due to my computer isn't coded manual yet. And when taking pin 3 from the cluster to pin 90 at the computer my airbag light is now on. Was I supposed to cut that wire, or tap into it ? I cut it and ran a separate to ecu 90. I've read so many different versions of this part, just found this way to be the least confusing(from Spartan's 05 BEW Wagon instructions).

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

alphaseinor

TDI
And when taking pin 3 from the cluster to pin 90 at the computer my airbag light is now on. Was I supposed to cut that wire, or tap into it ? I cut it and ran a separate to ecu 90. I've read so many different versions of this part, just found this way to be the least confusing(from Spartan's 05 BEW Wagon instructions).
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The only thing you need to splice would be the positive for VSS and reverse lights... nothing else splits a signal.

check this post for the way I do the 5 speed automatic wiring... shouldn't be that confusing.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5493075&postcount=2601

SLF-951

TDI
MK3 Jetta. MK4 Jetta Wagon
check this post for the way I do the 5 speed automatic wiring... shouldn't be that confusing.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5493075&postcount=2601

I appreciate that response. I did have that procedure printed out as well from another post you were helping another member with.

I just hard wired it from the cluster, as stated in the Boertje procedure pg:33 by Spartan. It was more work, but that should be the same result, right? I just wasn't sure if that way should have been tapped into or cut away like I did. I've been driving the car for a month then all of a sudden the airbag light is on after doing this.

alphaseinor

TDI
I've been driving the car for a month then all of a sudden the airbag light is on after doing this.
What's the code for the airbag... not likely associated with this, but stranger things have happened.

Yeah, there's a dozen ways of connecting wire a to slot b