Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Fortuna Wolf said:
A new TCU is not needed though?
The new TCU is called right arm, and left leg.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You really should pull your windsheild wipers off, then remove the plenum cover, then you will be able to see the transmission control unit, and the ECU better.

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
I thought the cover was glued down to the windshield, it fits so tight on there.

I'll fix that picture later. That certainly is great news if the TCU is the one on the passenger side, makes it WAY easier to get out.

I only took the pic to try and add to the info alphaseinor has posted before, I plan to get to those last couple wires under the dash by the relay.

One question though - does the TCU need to be completely disconnected once the swap is done, or does it stay in and just have those 2 wires bridged?

alphaseinor

TDI
The TCU needs to be removed. The wires need to be bridged (unless you wire up the clutch relay, in which case that's a little different)... The Bentley has all of the wiring where it goes (although I hate the format, and that they didn't change the color codes to english, they left them "Auf Deutch!")

Schwartz = black
rot = red
etc...

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI
The axels are also needed... definately

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Parts Required

Here is the list I assembled:
MT - Manual transmission and mounts?
(for sure the rear motor mount (I think it is manual specific))

the plate between the MT and engine

axles

Dust "tins" from engine assembly (there are two)

Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch, Misc., all clutch system parts (including switch and wire pigtail)
Clutch Pedal Assembly and the hydraulic lines (don't forget the clips) Misc wires, connectors, etc...

NEW THROWOUT BEARING
2.3L Gear oil G51 SAE 75W90 (synthetic oil)
5/8" to 5/8" coolant hose coupler

Starter (looks identical...)
Starter cable(s) to battery (not sure if this is needed, but if the starter is in a different place the cables may be different)

all Shifter parts
Shifter Box
Shifter Linkage
All interior pieces that touch the stick shift assembly

all brackets associated with the above parts
any other minor MT associated parts
All Bolts and nuts, clips, brackets, etc...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOOLS:

8mm and 10mm triple-square bits, a 30mm 12pt socket
impact wrench and/or a breaker bar
clutch alignment tool

cherry picker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NICE TO HAVE!
G60/VR6 Clutch Kit
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOT REQUIRED

no - brake master cylinder (just cut a nipple to hook up to the clutch)
no - narrow brake pedal

no - ECU (adaptation or recode?)

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Ok. I've got the ESP kit installed in my car which has its own brake master cylinder. the nipple is already cut and plugged, so I will just unplug it and hook it up to the slave cylinder. Where is the slave cylinder? I take it then that I will have to source the rear motor mount.

alphaseinor

TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
I've got the ESP kit installed in my car
Jealousy envelops the scene...

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Fortuna - I'm assuming you snagged that new relay listed a page back when you were scrounging the interior parts from the wreck where I got my swap parts?

I'm guessing you will be the pioneer on getting the clutch relay working via that method.

I forgot about the axles, but in reality could we keep the auto axles by changing the axle flanges on the transmission? We can already swap from manual axles to beefier VR6 axles, I don't see why that same method couldn't be used here.. although I will be installing the manual ones since I already paid for them.
reference this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=138801

Last edited:

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Another little "tip" - make sure you have a clutch alignment tool!

My clutch kit did not include one, and my "universal metric clutch alignment tool" with multiple size bits included does NOT fit. Top it off by allowing 2 minutes to go by past closing time of the local parts place and you'll get yet another delay. :-(

Ah well, another day, 6 bolts removed, a flywheel and 6 new bolts installed.

To be continued...

alphaseinor

TDI
hrm... my universal alignment tool worked perfect... you can always try it by hand, but you are asking for a curse fit putting the transmission in, and getting the IS into the flywheel.

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Yea, I know.. I'm just going to have to wait until Thursday and pray the weatherman is wrong about the rain coming.

In other news, check this out:

"This kit is GREAT, it replaces your four speed automatic with a five speed standard and includes just about everything. No more automatic problems with those high costs, NO CORE CHARGE The kit includes: new 5 speed transmission, flyweel, clutch kit, shift lever, shift cables, pedal cluster knob and boot, clutch slave & master cylinder and hydraulic hose, engine and transmission brackets, hardware. The electrical proceedure to start the vehicle after installation is to locate the Red and Red/black 10 guage wires under the dash comming from the engine and hook them together. This will disarm the interlock and let you use the starter with the key"

Source: http://www.justveedubs.com/catalog....ch&s_vmdl=&s_pcat=&s_pname=&s_pn=02A+398+141A

alphaseinor

TDI
Yup... just what we are doing here... but that's for an A3 golf/jetta... not applicable to a 1999.5

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Just the culmination of everything. EVERY day it has been something.. no clutch, no bolts for the clutch, no clutch alignment tool that works...

I get home at 6:30-7pm, eat, and get to work on the car around 8-9, so if anything happens or I discover there is an issue, it's too late to do anything about it until the next day.

I went to 5 places today, NOBODY could get me a clutch alignment tool, not even the only VW repair shop in town! I wound up getting yet another universal kit from Napa, and it doesn't fit as well as my original one, so I used my original one and adjusted the "wobble factor" by hand as I installed the pressure plate.

In attempting to get the transmission installed the differential keeps hitting the frame, the transmission falls of the jack, the transmission rotates around etc, etc, etc. I try lowering the engine to get a better angle on it and nothing will work. At some point I go back to the top to get a different view on things and notice the motor mount has completely slid out on the passenger side and the post is now resting on the frame, the hoses are kinked, the vacuum lines have pulled off the engine - just not a good picture at all.

Basically the engine is about to fall out.

I at this point have no option but to hoist the engine back up, remove the mount and attempt to re-install the engine. I drive across town to the storage building in my mother-in-law's buick and somehow manage to stuff a 2.5 ton engine hoist in her trunk - at least enough for it not to fall out. I'll find out tomorrow how her paint looks. Now I don't have a chain for it, so that goes on tomorrow's list.
Tomorrow's forecast is scattered thunderstorms - on my only day off - the day scheduled to complete the project. (actually scheduled for LAST Thursday, but the clutch didn't arrive until Friday, bolts until Tuesday)

It's just always something, I think this project is cursed.

Kids - put a cherry picker on your list of highly suggested tools to have on site before beginning this project. Doing it with a floor jack and a small jack just isn't a good thing.

Right now I'm just p!ssed at the whole thing, but I guess the effort wouldn't be worth it if you didn't pull out some swear words that would make a sailor proud.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Contribution

chirorob,

Take heart in the fact that we can learn from your...

Thanks for your contribution and godspeed!

On another note, I will try and measure the amps through the ignition switch somehow to figure if we can insert the clutch switch there without burning it out. Too much amps is the only reason I can think of needing that other relay.

alphaseinor

TDI
Don't bang on the engine too much, it can pull out of the cradle (it has a pendulum, which is just a tube, mounted in a rubber mount). don't let this slip out, because there isn't anything holding the engine other than coolant lines, vacuum lines, and the exhaust (which was disconnected when I was where you are at).

Worst case scenario, you can drop the engine, and mate them on the ground.

The secret is to move the transmission side of the engine towards the front of the car, this allows for faster installation (remember to keep the engine in the mount). I had the help of a cherry picker for the engine. I also didn't drop the engine (i had the engine "level") then jacked the transmission up into the compartment.

When you get the transmission input shaft on the clutch, it will not go in immeidately to the flywheel (because you didn't have an alignment tool that works). This is not a problem, because it's just going to take more time... be patient with the transmission... it will have to physically move the clutch that extra .001" that you (or I for that matter) can't possibly align.

At least the throwout bearing doesn't come loose like on T56's...

GDB:
The switch is wired "backward" where it's normally closed when the pedal is up... then it's open when you put the pedal down, that's why you need the relay... to reverse the switch.

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
^^^ That is exactly what happened. The tube came out, engine held up by AC lines, vac lines etc.. the passenger side wedged itself against the frame underneath the original mount location. It was a big PITA to leverage it out from the spot it was in. Don't let this happen to you!

In my previous experience the mounts were bolted in, so you could hinge the engine down to make it easier to get the tranny in... not with the good ol VW though.

On the good news side the weather held off for quite a while today, so from 2pm - 6pm I managed to repair the damage and get the engine back up, engine mount installed, transmission installed, driver's axle, shifter linkage, starter, clutch hose, and half the passenger axle before the rain began.

A cherry picker is sooooooooo the way to go. I'm grateful I had the use of a land-yacht to bring it back over here, I didn't think it would fit in anything other than a truck but my anger last night allowed me to stuff it in the trunk.

I'm hoping the rain will stop for at least a little while, I might be able to finish this tonight with just another couple hours.

alphaseinor

TDI
I'm always amazed what I can fit in the trunk of my GM product (Pontiac Grand Prix)... Ikea is not a problem... Even Cherry Pickers/Transmissions/Engines/misc crap

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Home stretch, aligning shifter, and one of the black plastic fingers broke off the lower cable gripping thing.

Anyone have a part number? My only hope is a dealer within 100 miles has one in stock.

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Yea man, it's on the ground and everything, just missing the battery and airbox at this point.

Oh yea, and a shift cable end. :)

Alpha - what did you do about your power steering line to keep it from hitting the shifter counterweight?

alphaseinor

TDI
I've switched to a short shifter during the install, so I don't have a counterweight... Personally, I would bend it out of the way, but I didn't think it would be a problem...

alphaseinor

TDI
As for the part number, I don't remember, but I think from the illustrations, it's the whole unit (it's one peice... not two with a spring)

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
It's a dealer-only part fellas, and the only dealer with one in stock is in Atlanta (Jim Ellis), this is going to be one more week. (parts dept closed SAT, x-mas is Monday, so they don't open until Tuesday... overnighted part = Wednesday)

Gee.. nearly a month to complete a job that REALLY could be done in a day if you have your ducks in a row.

EDIT: OK, I went back and looked at the dates, it's really only a couple weeks - it's just felt like a month.

Last edited: