Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
The wriring how to GdB made is awesome would it be possible for the mechanical side of the job get a comprable how to???

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Simple

Step 1: SUPPORT THE ENGINE WITH... VERY IMPORTANT!
Step 2: Rip out the tranny, axles, shifter
Step 3: Shove the 5-speed in, clutch and shifter.
Step 4. Add fluids...

But seriously, it's not that complicated, just a lot to remove and reinstall.

Similar to a clutch job.

I was working on that, but I've been too busy.

I'll post what I got ASAP.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
no rush, i dont plan on doing this for a good while, its just that the wiring guide was awesome and i was wondering if their were plans for the other side.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
lol... I thought the whole 30 ish pages were the howto...

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
yeah, but it might be a little easier if they were condensed to like one or two pages of info maybe??? but then again they would be missing out on the 30 odd pages of whether or not they should do it, btw any problems so far (now that its swapped)?

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
No problems, I'm in the middle of prepping to put TDIRacings engine in, so the engine compartment looks really empty... Might go with a stronger pressure plate...

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
problems prevention

midntdi said:
any problems so far (now that its swapped)?
1. I paid special attention to make sure all the coolant and PS hoses were not rubbing anything. This is a vibrating environment, which leads to chaffing holes in hoses.

2. I made sure the hose and clutch hydraulic lines had adequate support, at least as good as stock. I do not want any leaks, damage.

3. I don't get much salt exposure, but taped up, or siliconed, etc. all the wires and wire ends.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Reverse safety lockout feature is reason for shifter adjustment problems!

I discovered the reverse secret that I wish some 5-speed regular had shared.

I was still having problems getting 5th to engage so I tried readjusting. Then, I came to the conclusion that something in the shifter was blocking stick left motion toward reverse. I was about to start taking it apart, when I accidentally noticed the push down reverse safety lockout feature. So actually I was done!

Before I was barely able to get both 5th and R with the wrong adjustment, now they are both easier!

So here is the new procedure:

Shifter linkage alternate adjustment method2, the bently procedure does not work so good. Basically you are trying to get the stick slightly to the left of centered with the tranny in neutral.

When properly adjusted, the reverse can only be engaged by pushing down on the shifter before engaging reverse. This is a safety feature to prevent the very thing I was concerned about with this shift pattern, mistaking R for 1st and front ending someone at a red light. So here is a better procedure:
1. put the shifter in 5th.
2. unlock the upper linkage at the tranny which control stick left to right adjustment.
3. pull the threaded rod as far into the link end as possible.
4. relock
5. test 1-5 gears to see if the shifter moves freely into each
6. test reverse by pushing down on the shifter before engaging reverse.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Dr.D

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ok, so I have been lurking this thread for a couple months since my 01M has been on it's last legs. I finally did the swap this last weekend, and finished the details tonight. I have to say it was a lot easier than I expected it to be. This is due to all the hard work of all you 'pioneers'. Thank you all for figuring out the hard stuff for the rest of us.

GdB, I was fully expecting the wiring to be a major PITA. I followed your instructions, and I completed all the wiring mods in about 3-4 hours (and I am slow). It started FIRST CRANK and the clutch interlock works exactly how it is supposed to. Good job, and thanks. By the way I have an '02 Jetta, and everything was accurate for my car. Haven't tested the cruise yet, as I haven't recoded it to manual.

Another thing I thought would be really difficult to do was mate the transmission to the engine. I used an old shade-tree method that made it go (relatively) easy. I cut a 4x4 to the width of the top of the finderwells (above the engine) and used a pair of ratchet-straps (on pass. and driver side) to lift the transmission up from the floor and align the angle to the engine. Still helps a lot to have a buddy to help out with this step...

It's 1AM, and the front end is still off the car, and there is almost no power steering fluid, but I had to take it for a spin around the block. Drives just like it should, and FAST!

alphaseinor

TDI
Awesome!

I always love hearing success stories!

GDB's wiring howto is exactly what I wanted to do, however anyone who knows me personally knows how buzy I have been over the last year... lots of timing belts, things along that line...

jusholla

TDI
None
First off, this is a great write-up. Does anyone know if this swap would be the same for a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T with the tiptronic transmission?

alphaseinor

TDI
It would probably be very simular... but YMMV...

I know they have a TCU as well, but I haven't seen a swap come by me yet.

Dr.D

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
An update. I recoded the ECU yesterday and the cruise works, and the CEL doesn't come on anymore. Excellent! I did have the same problem as GdB: resetting the soft coding of Address 19 CAN from 00006 to 00005 did not take, but I also found I didn't need to do it to avoid the CEL (02 Jetta).

Couple hundred miles later, everything still works.

One thing: has anyone noticed a slight vibration or grinding feel in the clutch pedal (almost like you can feel the throwout bearing spinning) when the pedal is partially depressed? Or is this normal for a TDI with a single mass clutch? I did replace the TO bearing, so I doubt thats it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have the same thing. When the clutch pedal is slightly pushed down i get a pulsing,not alot but a slight one mainly at idle.I believe some other members have said (don't know which) it has to do with the way a diesel works.I also have a single mass flywheel,i have over 13,000 miles on my conversion unfortunately i took two deer out last friday morning on my way to work but was still able to drive home (happened close to home) over $4100.00 damage:mad: ,Damm i should never have given up on
hunting :D .IMHO i don't think you have a problem i think it's normal if not someone will chime in their opinon,my .02cents.
Enjoy the new ride.:D

alphaseinor

TDI
csstevej said:
unfortunately i took two deer out last friday morning on my way to work but was still able to drive home (happened close to home) over $4100.00 damage:mad: ,Damm i should never have given up on
hunting :D .
Sounds like you got two in one shot... doesn't sound like you gave up on huting at all...

There should be a little bit of pulsing, that's the chatter of a G60/VR6. It's a bit annoying, but you'll get used to it...

Dr.D

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info. It doesn't bother me if it isn't a problem...

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
csstevej, Sorry to here about the deer.

Relating to my G60 + 14 lb flywheel
I don't notice chatter, maybe because I have no muffler, but I do get rough idle sometimes. I adjusted the idle up as much as I can with VAGCOM, but I only got it to 949 RPM. I think a little more may help, but I'm not sure if this is a weak cylinder problem, why? Maybe HEADGASKET? :eek:

My coolant just started leaking out.

I was getting the coolant light every few days after refilling it, coincidently since I just started driving under higher load with 5-speed than the auto would allow.

On some quick 1st and 2nd gear runs, I may have gotten some boost spikes.

No coolant puddles have been seen under the car.

I have had to refill it 3 times so far.

So I think I have a head gasket coolant leak.

It is consumming roughly 1 quart per 100 miles of city driving.

Do I need to worry about catestropic failure?

I am thinking of putting in new ARP studs and see if the leak goes away?

The one time I checked, I did not notice the hoses being rock hard from cylinder pressure leaking in, so maybe I'm OK.

Also, since its been parked for a few days until I have time to fix it, for the 1st time, I noticed some leaking under the car. Maybe some overpressure caused damage, or did I just never see it? Weird!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You are going to have to pull the head. That's the only fix for a bad gasket. Just make sure it's not the coolant temp sensor, the o-ring on the metal pipe coming out of the backside of the waterpump or the WP leaking.

alphaseinor

TDI
I'd check for water in the oil... any milky white stuff under the cap?

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
If I pull the head, is fire ringing worthwhile, whatever it is?

I bought some ARP studs which I think are well worth using if torqued correctly.

I want to make it bullet proof so I can stomp on the throttle...

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
leak update

I think I found the leak! [FONT=&quot]My coolant flange was damaged [/FONT][FONT=&quot]during my tranny swap, and so I bought another one for $6.20. Well $41 of G12 coolant later, I found out the new one is defective.

[/FONT]
So I am posting these pics so maybe someone else can avoid my this by just looking at the part. I bought the part online, and it looks just like the OEM except for the little circles in the sealing groove. I would not be surprised if some of these also made there way to the dealers.

You might notice some glue which is painted filler epoxy which I used to glue the OEM back together and reinforce the new part (before I new about the defect).

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Possible chaffing hose

Another issue for everyone here to check.

I am concerned about a possible chaffing hose. There must be some different parts on the OEM 5 speeds. I tried bending the bracket out of the way a little with my massive channel locks, not easy. It appears to be just barely touching so maybe this is a non-issue. Another fix would be to slip somethihng between them.

EDIT: YES the coolant leak was due to the defective plastic part!
[FONT=&quot]Yippie! No head gasket leak! I did install ARP studs to 80ft-lbs, so that's good insurance against a head gasket leak. But will also install the boostvalve so I can jam the throttle with no fear of boost spikes.[/FONT]

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI
the issue with the coolant line...
you can bend it. The five speed has some different parts on the engine...

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
So here is a question for the pioneers... What parts would be recomended purchased new vs used and which ones should be kept immaculate? I am going to start purchasing parts soon, I will swap it in about a year unless it breaks (then earlier) but I dont have too much money so would like to do this as economically as possible.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I'll post my doc ASAP you can see the list in there. It should be obvious what to buy new. A lot of new stuff is cheaper on IMPEX.

alphaseinor

TDI
What I bought new:
Bolts (axle, trans mount, flywheel and pressure plate bolts) under $100
Flywheel
Clutch/Pressure Plate
Throwout bearing (above should cost under $500)
Dieselgeek Short Shifter (I used this to get around the power steering line difference) (about $200-300... forgot the exact amount...)
Gaffers tape/loom (gaffer's tape is not cheap... $40 a roll)

What I bought used: (I paid about $1200, but got literally every different component)
Transmission (make sure it's got the silver "golf club" linkage, the diff should counter rotate with relative ease, and all gears should be easy to reach with the golf club) if in doubt, get a rebuilt one, or a new one...
Axles
Shift Box
Clutch Pedal
Engine Tins
Starter
Misc other things

things I didn't use:
Metal Coolant line on engine is different from the automatic to the manual
Coolant Glowplug circuit/glowplug housing
power steering line is of a different design, and in general is a PITA to change over... well worth the $300 for the dieselgeek short shifter

Custom things:
Wiring is a bit custom, but I think GdB got it sorted out better than when I did it...

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Cut the weight off the stock shifter. Works just fine that way.

also the wiring GdB listed isn't consistent as far as color on color. It's eversed a few times and a royal PITA unti you figure that out with a wiring diagram.

And the different year cars have different size clutch start switch and cruise interupt switch sizes. Some are deeper than others and the brackets are different. FYI.