Project Hailstorm

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I'm gonna start off by saying that craigslist just tends to be evil. I don't know why it's so hard to ever walk away from a craigslist endeavor fully satisfied. Earlier this week I stumbled across a car for sale that had the specs of my dream jetta. MK4, black, black leather interior, manual, moonroof, TDI. On paper this sounded great. The mileage was under 200k (in my opinion it's becoming harder and harder to find MK4 TDI's under this number... not saying they don't exist, just saying they are becoming scarce.)

There was a small picture of the car posted to the ad. The seller noted that the timing belt had just been changed and regular maintenance had been kept. I emailed the seller to see if larger pictures could be sent. I received the larger pics in my email. The car looked great. The pics were from an iphone, but the interior looked spectacular. The exterior looked very solid. I would spend the next several days talking with the seller via text and email. I was doing my best to secure financing for the vehicle. As it turned out I was successful in getting my loan for the vehicle and went further to discuss purchase with the seller. It was at this point that I started to get more details about the car.

Apparently there was some rust on the fenders. It was not easy to see this rust in the photos. I hadn't even noticed it myself. This did not concern me as I feel I might still have a chance to get them replaced under the supposed 12 year rust warranty. If not, I could always either swap them out or have some body work done. Then I was informed that the check engine light was on, but that it wasn't anything to worry about because it comes on and goes off. Something to do with the glow plug harness I was told. I was told I could call the mechanic who last worked on the car to verify the severity of the issue. I was also informed that the driver's side floor matt was pretty worn. None of these issues seemed life threatening to me and I was still very excited.

I proceeded to run a carfax to be safe. The carfax revealed what the seller had told me. That he was the second owner of the vehicle and has had it for almost 10 year straight. That he was meticulous with maintenance and care for the vehicle. This pleased me as it appeared that he truly cared for the car and wasn't just someone trying to flip a recently acquired vehicle. I inquired about any other known issues with the vehicle. I was told other than the rust on the fenders, floor matt, and check engine light, everything else was perfect.

I anticipated other things to be not exactly perfect, but I didn't expect what I came across. The problem with the rest of the story is as follows. I made arrangements with the seller to spend my Saturday driving with my father and my girlfriend in my Ford Taurus to go retrieve this jetta. I changed the oil in the Taurus, filled up the windshield wiper fluid, and on we went.
We drove 6 hours to northern Wisconsin. We get to the vehicle around 6:30pm and it is already dark outside. I point the Taurus' headlights at the car to try and get a good view. Up until this point I was rather pleased with my dealings with the seller. He seemed to be as upstanding a guy as you could possibly deal with. He had answered all of my questions without hesitation, and was even willing to sign over the title to me and let me take his car with only me handing him a CHECK from my credit union. I knew the check from my credit union was good.... but how could he possibly know? For all he knows I could have forged a check. I'm just some stranger from craigslist. "Yeah buddy, here's the legit check, and I'm off with his car and title in hand"

So I felt there was some mutual trust. Upon initial inspection I noticed that there were a couple of dents in the hood. We gave the car an overall inspection, but it was hard to make out in the dark. The seller let the three of us take the jetta for a spin. We headed straight for a well lit gas station. Getting out of the vehicle we immediately realized the sad truth.... The car had been the victim of a severe hailstorm..... Dings, dents, more dings, more dents...... it had the texture of a golfball.... I kid you not.
My girlfriend actually started crying right there in the gas station. She knew how badly I wanted that car and how far we had just driven. How could this guy possibly knowingly let us drive 6 hours one way and not disclose the countless dents over the entire body. I had spent nearly a week texting him back and forth about the car and this did not once come up in conversation.

I was horrified and severely shocked. F THIS!!! was all I was thinking. I was standing there in a gas station in northern wisconsin with a check for $7500 and no way to even counter that offer. Did I even want the car still? My immediate thoughts were quite random.... I had no idea what I was going to do. The interior was gorgeous and the car ran quite well...but what the hell could I do with the body? Did I really just waste an entire day to walk away empty handed? 13 hours round trip give or take and all of that gas the Taurus sucked down.....
My dad and I quickly scanned the severity of the damage. We came to the conclusion that if we replaced the hood and the trunk lid (the brunt of the damage) and had the dings pulled from the roof (there were far fewer on the roof) Then the car would actually be really nice. It was at this point we realized that if we could talk the seller down and have him write us a check for a decent amount to offset the unchangeable check I had from the credit union, then perhaps it was worth it.

Upon returning to the seller's home, I immediately began with my issue. In my head I was screaming to myself, "Why the !*!*!*! would you let me drive this far and NOT MENTION THE 100 DENTS ON THE TOP OF THE CAR???? His response was nothing short of pure confusion for me.
"I guess I did forget to mention the hail damage.... It completely slipped my mind... I've gotten so used to it myself now that I don't even notice it"
I looked him right in the eyes and I have no idea to tell you the truth. The sincerity in his eyes..... Part of me largely thinks by some grace of god he really did forget, but a larger part of me cannot imagine how he can mention a cut up floor matt, but not mention obvious body damage over the entire car.

I don't know what to make of him. He seems like a genuine person and I think at this point I'm over the shock and frustration. I'm not entirely sure I currently harbor any negative feelings towards him. Maybe he forgot, maybe he didn't. Either way it wasn't pleasant. We were able to negotiate a lower price due to the body damage and he cut me a check. I'm coming up on almost 24 hours without sleep and spending 14 of those hours driving so who knows how I'll feel in the morning. Here I go praying that I can either find a trunk lid and hood at a junk yard and also replace the fenders at the factory.
Another fun tip was that the seller did not do me the favor of replacing the dead lowbeam headlight bulb so my choice of driving the return trip of 357 miles was either one headlight or brights the whole way.

I'll leave some pics here of the interior for now. I'll upload the pics he sent me of the exterior tomorrow when I have the energy to photoshop out the licence plates.
ugh.... hopefully I can turn this car into the car I believed it was and more...

PLANNED REPAIRS

Replace fenders (due to rust) under 12 year VW rust warranty (if possible)
Repair dents on roof, doors, and quarter panels
Possible repair of dents on trunk lid (if not, the trunk lid will be replaced)
Likely replacement of hood (due to dents)
Repair / replace lower valence on front bumper as it has been damaged
Repair arm rest (sides are pulling outward and armrest wont lock into position)
Repair arm rest latch (it is missing entirely)
Clean engine bay
Inspect and clean EGR
Diesel Purge
Replace driver side low-beam headlight bulb (it is burnt out)
Polish headlights as they are very dull and yellow (replacement if needed)
Get rid of check engine light (reason for this light is still unknown, suspected glow plug harness)

*All of these repairs are planned to be completed before TDIFEST 2012

PLANNED UPGRADES

*ENGINE

PD150 intake manifold
Garrett VNT 17/22 turbo
RocketChip (goal is RC5)
DG by-pass filter (I know they are not made anymore, but I will do my best to hunt one down)
Frostheater
Either R32 OR VR6 airbox and snorkel (not sure which is better yet)
Upgraded intercooler and piping (front-mount)
11mm Injection Pump
Bosio PowerPlus 764 Injectors (these are better than the 520 correct?)
PD In-tank Life pump

*BODY
DG Skidplate (I may go with sideskirts as well)
Blackout taillights
Clear sidemarkers
Maybe different front bumper

*SUSPENSION
tbd

*INTERIOR
Tint (not sure what % yet)
SuperbrightLeds
Boost gauge
tbd

*AUDIO
tbd

*TRANSMISSION
tbd

Last edited:

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Hope it works out.
A hood and trunk from a salvage yard may be good enough for a 10yr old car. I'd be happy.
Yeah, it stinks driving 6hrs to see that.
Depending on the discount I may have just walked on principle.
We once drove 4hrs to look at a RV. Guy said it had a roof vent leak but he fixed it and all was ok.
Part of the roof was rotted, everything was moldy and 2 walls were being held together by the aluminum skin as the wood had rotted out.
When I called him on it, he dropped the price so low it was worth it, but I drove off because he tried to succer me.
The leather interior is nice though, and hard to find.
If their small, don't pull the roof dings. Hammer them up with a dolly, then smooth with filler.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Thanks for the tips. I contemplated walking off many times. It's just frustrating. It's not even like that's something I wouldn't notice until later. like... "oh, i get home and it turns out the turbo is bad" or something like that. Something he could hide from me and try to sucker me. How did he not think I wouldn't immediately see the dings all over the car? I think a lesser man who REALLY didn't want the car as bad as I did could have even gotten borderline violent after potentially wasting such a long drive. I talked to the guy all week too. Many times... phone conversations, text messages, and emails. never a single word coming even close to a discussion about hail.

as far as potential dent removal from the roof... I'm definitely going to end up having a professional do the work. If they pull from the top or hammer up with a dolly I'll have no idea what method they prefer haha. I'll obviously do my research on whichever company I select to do the work as I wan't quality results.

Also after getting home today I did a quick search of the forums and now have a full understanding of the overwhelming "crayon" smell in the car. I'm the type of person that will likely have to have the sound deadening material removed and replaced with dynamat rid the car of this smell. I can tell already it will bother me too much.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
It really sucks to go through that kind of experience, and in some ways the car will never be the same in your eyes, compared to the ideal. And who knows how shady the seller is - I would also be unhappy.

However, it looks like you got a well cared for car overall, immaculate interior, nice paint, well serviced, etc and for a 10 year old car those are the important things. A little work will fix it right up, you got a discount negotiated - check and check. The small stuff will drive you crazy, and people suck, so don't let either get you down!

Think of the dents as character wrinkles on the face of a loved one - all things age, and the character lines tell a story more beautiful than the perfection of youth ;) (Yeah, gettin a little deep...)

Enjoy your sweet car - looks good :)

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Congrats on becoming a TDI owner!

The story leaves me wondering if the Carfax did not catch the insurance claim the p/o may have made on the hail damage and pocketed the check. I hope your discount was near equal to the cost to repair. I hope too that the p/o's "rebate because I have selective memory" check clears :eek:.

I feel your pain on this issue. Usually such "oh, forgot to mention that" BS comes from shady car dealers. Get the car into a trusted mechanic asap for a thorough inspection and a fresh oil change.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Congrats on becoming a TDI owner!

The story leaves me wondering if the Carfax did not catch the insurance claim the p/o may have made on the hail damage and pocketed the check. I hope your discount was near equal to the cost to repair. I hope too that the p/o's "rebate because I have selective memory" check clears :eek:.

I feel your pain on this issue. Usually such "oh, forgot to mention that" BS comes from shady car dealers. Get the car into a trusted mechanic asap for a thorough inspection and a fresh oil change.

thanks guys for the moral support. The first thing that came to mind too was "why didn't he get this covered under any type of homeowners insurance even?" Also when I confronted him about it and started discussing a lower price, he even mentioned that he had an rv get shattered sunroofs and the covers for roof-mount ac units destroyed during the storm. We'll have to see how good I can make this car look. I modified the bill of sale to mention the price drop and the exchanging of checks to do my best to make sure I'm covered. I'd hate to have to go to small claims court if the check bounces.... but i'd have little choice not to. Plus I have 2 witnesses and signed paperwork. I'm still optimistic! More-so for the car's potential than my ability to drive stick.

This is my first manual car and I basically taught myself how to drive on the road trip back. I only stalled maybe.........10 times...

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
well, as it sounds, somebody tried to sell a car for a decent amount of money and knew that the hail damage would lower the price of the car tremendously.

i understand the sellers standpoint. a black car with damage not noticeable from 40 feet away. i had dents i completely forgot about.

he however should mention every flaw in the car before sale.

a misleading sale is against the law where the receiving party inherits a debt.

BTW, nice looking car. having the roof repaired and hood and trunk and fenders painted will probably set you back about 2.5k. maybe 3.5k to have the entire car redone.

That interior looks NICE!!!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I remember reading somewhere a while back that someone had success in removing hail damage by placing a small chunk of dry ice in the dent. It supposedly shrinks the metal and actually pops the dent out.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
The above post is true, dry ice wrapped in a paper towel.

or an air duster sprayed upside down.

it may prove time worthy on the roof and fenders :)

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
i may have to try dry ice on the trunk and hood for starters.... it's not like I can make it look worse! haha. I actually have air duster right now.... ::thinks about going outside after watching youtube videos::

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Well I'm a bit more optimistic after seeing the car in sunlight for the first time. The dents are clearly visible, but overall I think it has potential. I tried a can of duster and a blow dryer from the 1940's (the only one I had access too) and was unable to pop a ding. I think it might be too cold out and the hair dryer doesn't get hot enough. For now I'll leave you with some photos!

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I was also shocked as to how small the stock turbo intake piping is. I've stared at countless pictures of them over the years but this is the first one I've seen in person. I had no idea it was that small in reality. I cannot wait to upgrade!

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I washed her today. I also got a quote to repair the dent damage. The first quote was $2,200 (not including hood as it was recommended to me to replace the hood).

I got a second body shop to look at the damage. He is going to call me tomorrow with a quote.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
PLANNED REPAIRS

Replace fenders (due to rust) under 12 year VW rust warranty (if possible)
Repair dents on roof, doors, and quarter panels
Possible repair of dents on trunk lid (if not, the trunk lid will be replaced)
Likely replacement of hood (due to dents)
Repair / replace lower valence on front bumper as it has been damaged
Repair arm rest (sides are pulling outward and armrest wont lock into position)
Repair arm rest latch (it is missing entirely)
Clean engine bay
Inspect and clean EGR
Diesel Purge
Replace driver side low-beam headlight bulb (it is burnt out)
Polish headlights as they are very dull and yellow (replacement if needed)
Get rid of check engine light (reason for this light is still unknown, suspected glow plug harness)

*All of these repairs are planned to be completed before TDIFEST 2012

PLANNED UPGRADES

*ENGINE

PD150 intake manifold
Garrett VNT 17/22 turbo
RocketChip (goal is RC5)
DG by-pass filter (I know they are not made anymore, but I will do my best to hunt one down)
Frostheater
Either R32 OR VR6 airbox and snorkel (not sure which is better yet)
Upgraded intercooler and piping (front-mount)
11mm Injection Pump
Bosio PowerPlus 764 Injectors (these are better than the 520 correct?)
PD In-tank Life pump

*BODY
DG Skidplate (I may go with sideskirts as well)
Blackout taillights
Clear sidemarkers
Maybe different front bumper

*SUSPENSION
tbd

*INTERIOR
Tint (not sure what % yet)
SuperbrightLeds
Boost gauge
tbd

*AUDIO
tbd

*TRANSMISSION
tbd

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I'm an idiot..... I brought the car to a local VW dealer to have it inspected. I have a much better local mechanic I love to work with, but I needed to go to the dealer to see if I can get the fenders replaced under warranty. I figured I would have them inspect the car as well.

For some stupid reason I agreed to pay $140 inspection fee (I was informed that if I had any repairs done with them that the $140 would go into the cost of repairs)

They called back with a long list of issues the car has (nothing too serious but all of them expensive.... aka dealer costs)

They then informed me that they had replaced the headlight bulb (I had asked them too), but that the cost of the would not be included from the $140 because it's not a "repair" So here I am paying $140 for the inspection, and an additional $48 for the bulb replacement..... Great....

The only good news from the phone call is that they WILL replace the fenders for free. Music to my ears when they said "they're covered"

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
actually... come to think of it... I'm gonna have to try and fight them on this one... I never authorized them to replace the bulb. I never approved the price. I asked them to look at the bulb. He calls me to tell me the pricing of various things and mentions the bulb is $48 and then I asked him if he already did it.... to which he replied "yes" We'll see how it plays out...

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
I washed her today. I also got a quote to repair the dent damage. The first quote was $2,200 (not including hood as it was recommended to me to replace the hood).

I got a second body shop to look at the damage. He is going to call me tomorrow with a quote.
No, no, no! Do NOT take this car to a body shop until you have had a good PDR (paintless dent removal) guy work on it. Hail damage is their bread and butter and a good PDR guy will work those dents out so that you would never know they were there. It will also cost you less than having a body shop do it and you will still have the factory paint.

There may be a few dents that are too sharp or are in places that can't be reached, but you will be amazed at what can be fixed by PDR.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
No, no, no! Do NOT take this car to a body shop until you have had a good PDR (paintless dent removal) guy work on it. Hail damage is their bread and butter and a good PDR guy will work those dents out so that you would never know they were there. It will also cost you less than having a body shop do it and you will still have the factory paint.

There may be a few dents that are too sharp or are in places that can't be reached, but you will be amazed at what can be fixed by PDR.
I guess I was using "body shop" as a rather general term. The quote for $2,200 was for PDR.

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
I guess I was using "body shop" as a rather general term. The quote for $2,200 was for PDR.
OK. Suggest you get a couple of quotes as this is a nice job for a PDR guy - i.e a lot of dents all in one place. As a rule of thumb I don't think you should be paying more than $75 per dent. Good luck with your project.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Thanks for the tips migbro. I may have to count the dents myself as it may be on par to hit $2,200 for that amount of dents haha. I am waiting to hear back from a second quote hopefully today.

I also just investigated the fuel temp sensor replacement. The dealer wanted to charge me $240 to replace it. Considering it appears to be roughly 6 screws and a >$30 part, I will likely attempt this myself.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My wife's car got pelted pretty bad in a hailstorm a couple of years ago. Dents all over the roof, trunk, hood, door sills, etc. Cost was about $1,200 which surprised me. Insurance covered all but our $500 deductible. I would get another quote.

Change the temp sensor yourself. Keep the car away from dealerships.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You can buy a basic glue puller for around $50 bucks and work those dents out yourself. Watch some videos. Take your time. It's easy.

I agree. Keep that car away from dealership service departments. Your car will suffer due to their incompetence. Not sometimes. All the time.

Nice car. Good luck! Enjoy it.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
You can buy a basic glue puller for around $50 bucks and work those dents out yourself. Watch some videos. Take your time. It's easy.

I agree. Keep that car away from dealership service departments. Your car will suffer due to their incompetence. Not sometimes. All the time.

Nice car. Good luck! Enjoy it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll investigate the glue puller a bit. It can't hurt on parts I plan on replacing (ie. the hood)

Today I removed my armrest completely from the vehicle in an attempt to repair it. The armrest does not lock into position. The dealer wanted to charge me like $300 to replace it. From what I can tell is that this is a common issue where the plastic bearings pull outward. I can tell by looking at my armrest that there is no permanent damage or cracking. I'm going to use a clamp to push the bearings back into place and then use screws to prevent them from sliding outward again. This will succeed in completely repairing the armrest and avoid the $300 charge.

I'm also still learning to drive stick. I'm getting better but still have a bit to go to be fully comfortable.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
today I ordered the fuel temp sensor, triangle tool, and gasket kit from dieselgeek.com. I look forward to replacing the sensor and hopefully my check engine light will go away.

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Great looking car, I'm partial to the color as mine is the exact same, my rims are even missing the VW logos too! The only difference is mine has a tan leather interior which now that I see your black leather...it's soo much nicer then mine.

Can you give me some info the the "12 year rust deal" you were talking about? I doubt that mine will be able to fit under that as it's a 99.5, but it's worth a shot my fender is rusting out as well, just surface rust at the moment but a few more of theese WI winter's and it will kill it.

Again, great car and it sounds like you're going in a great direction I will be keeping an eye on this

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Great looking car, I'm partial to the color as mine is the exact same, my rims are even missing the VW logos too! The only difference is mine has a tan leather interior which now that I see your black leather...it's soo much nicer then mine.

Can you give me some info the the "12 year rust deal" you were talking about? I doubt that mine will be able to fit under that as it's a 99.5, but it's worth a shot my fender is rusting out as well, just surface rust at the moment but a few more of theese WI winter's and it will kill it.

Again, great car and it sounds like you're going in a great direction I will be keeping an eye on this
I'm not positive if the 12 year rust warranty covers the entire vehicle or specifically just the fenders. I know that whichever it is, it is supposedly 12 years from the vehicle's "in service" date. My warranty expires 10/2012. I've read numerous reports of TDI owners having difficulties with various dealers in actually honoring this warranty. It appears the dealers tend to try to get out of honoring it citing abuse etc. Best of luck.

Thanks for the comments about my car. I cannot wait to get it on par with some of the greats of this forum. (wishful thinking) haha

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
On the PDR thing, just a thought. There was a PDR guy at the DC fest and he was amazing! The prices were below retail, reasonable and he was probably the hardest working guy there, aside from Fest staff of course! I have no idea if this will be on the agenda for this year, but you've got plenty to do there. Mechanical work should come before cosmetics IMO. Wait and see a little. Sounds too like you might be wanting to set aside some clutch $$ :p

The grille looks a lot worse in the second 2 photos...I cannot see any of that wear in the first picture.

like the new avatar btw

Last edited:

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
On the PDR thing, just a thought. There was a PDR guy at the DC fest and he was amazing! The prices were below retail, reasonable and he was probably the hardest working guy there, aside from Fest staff of course! I have no idea if this will be on the agenda for this year, but you've got plenty to do there. Mechanical work should come before cosmetics IMO. Wait and see a little. Sounds too like you might be wanting to set aside some clutch $$ :p

The grille looks a lot worse in the second 2 photos...I cannot see any of that wear in the first picture.

like the new avatar btw
I've been dying to get outside and work on the engine bay. I want to clean it out. I plan on using an air compressor to blow out all of the crumbled pieces of foam that was stuck to the back of the upper engine cover. I also have a handheld steam cleaner I was going to try and use on some parts of the engine. I also want to clean the egr etc. Perhaps the intake. Then I can replace my fuel temp sensor and hopefully fix my check engine light. It has just been too cold and rainy for me to get any work done outside.

With regards to the front grill. I'm going to see if I can get it media blasted somewhere and painted. All little things that will lead to a nice ride hopefully.

::Emergency replacement clutch might be a good idea:: haha