Project: dz.day.c.rad..

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Got started on my Corrado conversion; thought it would be a good idea to post up some of the project here for input and advice. The Corrado is a '92 VR6 and the donor is a '96 B4 with the 1Z. I currently drive a '82 Rabbit Diesel daily, but this will eventually be my new daily driver.

Here's a quick picture of the Corrado from the previous owner at our local show last year:

Hopefully I'll be pretty close to done with it by the time summer hits, but you know how projects go..time and money.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Rabbit "pickup" to the rescue! I felt like I was in Back to the Future, shame 88mph isn't in the cards. ;)

One motor..out.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Nice corrado! So there are really tdi/diesel fans on MIve.
Of course! Been a while since I've updated this..here's what I've been up to.

Pulled the VR a few weeks ago for my friend to use in his MK2.

Got some new wheels for the summer and did some work on the brakes. The ABS components and wiring were pulled. I picked up some later MK3 calipers for up front to take advantage of the larger rotors. In the rear, I went with MK4 aluminum calipers.

Also been working on this gauge setup.

This week, I've tore into the interior to rebuild the heaterbox.

The bay is now cleaned up and ready for the new wiring, manual brake setup, and test fitting the engine (which is in the middle of getting rebuilt).

Hopefully the weather stays nice and I can continue to knock things out.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You did good on finding a clean Rado. Also I really like what you did with the dual gauge setup. Any other pics or at least a few words?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
tell me how I can recreate it. Its one of the best dual gauge pods setups I've ever seen. I complements to the creator.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Thanks. I don't have any more pictures, but it's just a later model cubby cluster.

Tore into the Passat today..

Any pointers or special circumstances I should be aware of wiring this all up?

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Elbows deep into wiring now..few questions.

I was going to tear the harness down and remore the 5th Injector bits. This is it's own entity right; I won't have problems with anything by deleting everything in this picture?

Also, what is this little guy for? Located on the driver's side of the engine bay on the inside of the fender.

Any insight would be appreciated.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Recirc flap for fresh air in the hvac system.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
So, since I am using the SLC HVAC system I shouldn't have any issues not using it. Thanks..time to invest in a Bentley for the B4.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With your corrado being a 1992 with what I presume are the stock slider HVAC controls then no you will not need the valve. You will have to figure out what route you plan to go on the a/c & fan controls. I'm no help on this because on my SLC I used the ALH's relay box. On my G60's AHU I used the G60's a/c, fan and after-run relays (simple but effective).

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Yes, it does have the sliders. I planning on using the Passat's A/C and Fan Harness. I think I have it all figured out so far. Some more progres..

Got a couple items going this week.

Heater box is resealed and Passat drive by wire pedal cluster are in..

The fuel system got some attention as well. Pulled the stock fuel pump out of the tank and drained out the rest of the gas. Waiting to find a diesel fuel pump sender for the tank right now before I can button that up. Also received this little guy in the mail. It'll act as a lift pump to the main fuel pump. It's mounted to an aluminum plate and takes the place of the stock fuel filter mounting location under the car.

Got the day off tomorrow, so hopefully I can get some more things done.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which fuel sender do you plan to use in the SLC's 18 gallon tank? Maybe you could modify a jetta tdi's so that its a little longer.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Yeah. I was going to use the one from the B4, but it's not the same size. The MK3 looks like it will work with some "fine tuning"..just got to get my hands on one.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Whoa, time to give some updates..kinda forgot about this thread.

I've been chipping away on the project the past few weeks. I got my turbo in the mail a little while ago..thanks JFettig & G60ING.

I think I solved my fuel sender issue by modifing the stock sender housing.

Last friday I was able to get the motor off the stand and into the car..

Looking like a good fit..

Saturday I was able to get the exhaust welded up with the help of a fellow dubber..

Other then that, my tune also came from Jeff at Rocketchip..

Finishing up some wiring and am hoping to start putting the interior in next.

I've been waiting on my set of Injectors (Titans) and an Injection Pump (11mm) for going on 7 weeks now. Hopefully they show up soon and I can get some miles pumped out. I had the bracket machined for the 11mm ALH IP and it's all ready to go. If it doesn't show up soon, my friend offered to let me borrow a 10mm ALH IP..anyone know if they have the same opening size for the bracket?

Last edited:

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
Finally got my injectors and I borrowed an ALH pump to go and get this thing up and running, but am having some issues starting it. The engine turns over fine, but will not fire. I have fuel coming out of my lines, so I don't believe it's related to that. I am having some weird issues with my cluster though. I am not getting any glowplug light and my oil and temp lights start to flash as soon as I connect the battery. It's about 75* here..should I be getting a glowplug light before startup? Would that system not functioning correctly prevent me from starting on a warm day? Any insight would be appreciated.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like there is no power from the 109 relay.

Can you connect via vag-com?

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
I personally don't have a VAG-COM, but could probably get one over here soon. They relay I have is 103? Is that correct..position 12 on the box? Is it mission-critical to the whole system?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
103 is the glowplug relay in the #12 position. I'm talking about the #3 relay position. It should be #109

Relay #109 in the #3 position on the fuse/relay box powers all of the sensors, the IP and the ECU. Its a crital relay. Below is a picture of my Corrado TDI's fuse box.

Also are you using a lift pump? If so how does it get power?

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
My box looks the same except for the 42 in position 5 and 53 in position 10.. I just added my alarm back in and it seemed to cure my cluster lights being on when the battery is hooked up issue, but I am still not getting a glowplug light on key on. I am getting a buzzing from my 103 relay. Currently don't have the liftpump hooked up.

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
G60ING,

He wouldn't see fuel coming out at the top of the injectors (collar nuts) if relay 109 was not functioning, would he?

I'm confused. I thought when relay 109 went bad, you'd get no fuel at all?

Kirk

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't figured out the injector pump yet. I don't know if it will pump fuel out of the lines when the 109 relay isn't working.

n0ftInc

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Corrado TDI
So, as it turns out it is my 109 buzzing, not the 103. Anyway, I did some checks today. I am getting 12V at terminal 30 on the box and when I jumper 30 to 87 I get my glowplug lights. I can also get my lights if I manually ground the 85. I have also confirmed continuity from 85 to G1/7 and G1/7 to the ECU T68/42. Possible bad ECU..?

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Well, since you never heard this ECU run a vehicle, I suppose it's always possible, but typically not likely.

But if you want to try a swap, I will offer up (again) my chipped ECU for swappage from my wagon, Sonny!

Kirk

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
109 buzzing sounds like a grounding issue. On my ALH corrado my 109 was buzzing its ass off when I hadn't tightened down the grounds. Your donor has a different grounding location than the ALh but the relay works the same.