Project 98 New Beetle TDI Overhaul, And then some.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
I just put a 2" Metalnerd lift under my Golf. I've got some 205/70R15 Nokian WRG3s that should fill some of the space in the wheel wells and grab better than the tires I have now, but I may have a set of BF Goodrich Mud Terrains in my future. :D
Frankencar, would you please point me to a description of the heat-gun mods you mentioned? How difficult were they?
It was just a matter of bolting up the bigger wheels and analyzing where they rub, then heating up and reshaping bits of the fender liner till they don't anymore. there is still slight rubbing when turned hard-lock, but nothing bad. :)

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
It was just a matter of bolting up the bigger wheels and analyzing where they rub, then heating up and reshaping bits of the fender liner till they don't anymore. there is still slight rubbing when turned hard-lock, but nothing bad. :)
Thanks. I think I can handle that. What do you do about a spare? Sealant and the air compressors you mentioned above? (I just discovered the Nokians I mentioned above won't fit in the spare tire well. Usually I can just carry the spare in the "trunk" area, but on those trips where the car is full, it could be an issue.)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Thanks. I think I can handle that. What do you do about a spare? Sealant and the air compressors you mentioned above? (I just discovered the Nokians I mentioned above won't fit in the spare tire well. Usually I can just carry the spare in the "trunk" area, but on those trips where the car is full, it could be an issue.)
I am running a full size spare. Deflated and forced into place by some fat guy :eek:. I don't know how easy it will be to retrieve shall I need it - but I wanted to carry a full size spare when traveling on a 500 mile long dirt road with no services for 250 mile stretches on our way to the arctic ocean. :D

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Wow. I tried to force one of my Nokians into the spare tire well of my Golf before it was mounted on a wheel. I may have been able to do it, had I really tried, but I was concerned about it getting stuck in there.

I ended up filling my spare tire well with one of the large foam inserts from the 20th Anniversary GTIs (which had no spare tire). It has space for the jack and other tools, a bottle of sealant and the factory portable air compressor. The insert supports the floor, so I can keep my full size spare in the "trunk" area of my Golf. Having the spare there isn't an issue 99% of the time. Now that my kids are teenagers, we usually take our minivan on long trips. The wife and I still take my TDI on road trips when it's just the two of us, but then we can use the back seat for cargo.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI

themaddog

TDI
99 New Beetle ALH 5 speed
I followed the build of the Beetle, and have been gradually accumulating parts to copy what you guys have done. I'm curious about why you decided to change your set up. Were you disappointed in it, or is it just the never-ending search for something better? Were there any specific problems you encountered? I'm curious to see what your new setup is. Will you be posting anything soon?

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
just read this entire thread from start to finish.. What an awesome build and an even more awesome thread! Very well told story..

Out of all the things you have done to that beetle.. I am absolutely shocked at how well your rockers have held up!!! I have no idea how you havent either A: Dented them in some form during off roading. or B: Sandblasted the paint off of them where the dirt kicks up from all of the miles upon miles of dirt roads. Very impressive indeed!

Would love to see how the car is looking these days.

Sincerely.. owner of a now quite boring looking bone stock 2002 NB TDI

06tdibug

TDI
2006 tdi beetle
Hello, I know this is an old post but I'm researching to lift my 06 TDI beetle as much as I can and keep alignment within specifications. This is my drive to work vehicle and keep hitting highway debris.
Do you remember what those front and rear spring were?
And how much ground clearance did you end up with?
What size spacers did you make for the rear?
Thanks

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hello, I know this is an old post but I'm researching to lift my 06 TDI beetle as much as I can and keep alignment within specifications. This is my drive to work vehicle and keep hitting highway debris.
Do you remember what those front and rear spring were?
And how much ground clearance did you end up with?
What size spacers did you make for the rear?
Thanks
Not to deter you away from this thread, but also check out the "beef on a budget" thread. Id parts has the springs for this lift. And the "2" lift for 40$" thread. I used this one for my beetle and enjoyed it for a couple years before dropping it to stock hight. I also recommend a skid plate if your willing to pay for it. I got my dieselgeek skid plate 2nd hand for a lil over 100$ and its been awesome.

06tdibug

TDI
2006 tdi beetle
Not to deter you away from this thread, but also check out the "beef on a budget" thread. Id parts has the springs for this lift. And the "2" lift for 40$" thread. I used this one for my beetle and enjoyed it for a couple years before dropping it to stock hight. I also recommend a skid plate if your willing to pay for it. I got my dieselgeek skid plate 2nd hand for a lil over 100$ and its been awesome.
Did you find the diesel geek skid plate on here? and where did you get the hardware needed to install it? I would assume you would need the insert rivets.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you find the diesel geek skid plate on here? and where did you get the hardware needed to install it? I would assume you would need the insert rivets.
The attachments (rivets and bolts) i got on dieselgeek site. The skid plate i found on here about an hour away from my place and it came with the bracket/mounts. Its one of those things you keep an eye out and eventually you find one for a price your interested in. I did my "build" on 2nd hand parts, and saved a ton of money. It just takes time and a lil patience. In 2 months i got everything i needed to support a stage 3 malone tune for under 400$, and it was all new/less the 5k miles equipment. So taking time can save a lot of money.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Otherwise theres plans somwhere around on how to make one out of a street sign

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
This thread took me back. Glad to see good oldies get bumped. Makes me wonder though... Does TurboChick's awesome black beetle still cruise the streets of NorCal?