Project 2013 SE

cudabnu

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, just sold my 2007 Touareg V10 TDI
Just picked up a project Passat, 2013 SE, blown turbo, possible bad DPF. Have a new turbo on order, taking the old one off, pulled the lower intercooler hose off and had a ton of oil. Took the o2 sensor ouf of the dpf and it was wet with oil. In California, so on the fence with just doing a dpf/egr/add blue delete, or inspect and clean the dpf. Just sold my 2007 touareg v10 tdi a few months ago that I did a dpf and egr delete with Malone tune and didn't have any problems passing smog.

cudabnu

TDI
Turbo impeller does spin, but is hard to spin, no play in our out, up or down, when I get it fully off, will tear down to fully inspect to see what happened.
Ps 159k miles on it, so out of extended warranty

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
In California,
I did a dpf and egr delete with Malone tune and didn't have any problems passing smog.
The tech must not of been wearing his tri focals that day. In the past getting away with a NON delete tune was doable if the car ran good/clean/up to 2 markers/no CEL (Ca.). 1/1/22 Ca. tightened down to check ecm's for a present tune.

cudabnu

TDI
Got it all out today, exhaust impeller is frozen, shaft snapped, tons of oil came out of the intercooler. New turbo should be her next week.

cudabnu

TDI
Decided to just replace the intercooler just incase, $230 for peace of mind is cheap! the stupid lower rubber turbo hose is almost as much as the intercooler, who prices these things! Got all the other gaskets etc delivered today, now just need to wait on the new turbo, and tips or trick on the new Borg Warner turbos to help them last?

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Best of luck. We had a 13 SE with no issues at 40K, did the buy back. Picked up a NOS 2015 SEL in 2017 for the buyback and about $1.5K. It's now at 41K miles and we haven't had ANY problems EVER with it except for a battery that died shorly after we purchased it. The dealer replaced the battery and gave us a $100 gift card for out troubles. It's a great car, knock on the fake wood dashboard trim!

BTW I had a similar problem on a 97 Passat wagon TDI and I just removed the intercooler and cleaned it with solvent. It got to 330K before salt rendered it uninspectable here in NH.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Where are you getting a turbo, and do you know if a Garrett turbo is available (which would be my first choice)? The intercooler can be cleaned in situ with a solvent, no need to replace it or even take it off. There is a thread on that from flyboybob. . . .

cudabnu

TDI
I do aircooled VW parts for a living so have an account with our local dealership, So I ordered thru Neftin VW in CA. he had said he showed a few avail in their east coast warehouses. I do not know if a Garrett turbo is avail, all I found searching so far was rebuilt, new Borg, or china made replacement cartridges.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How many miles on it?

With all the coolant issues the 12-14 have id say 230 isn't that bad for a new IC. Check the coolant side ports of the old unit see how much scaling is built up.

cudabnu

TDI
The new turbo didn't arrive, but another l9cal VW dealer had a reman in stock, so had that delivered Friday, and I installed it on Saturday, fired right up and running great, going to drive it to work the next few days, 30 miles each way the give everything a once over before I put the bottom pan on.

cudabnu

TDI
ok, onto the DPF doing very frequent regens and failing. I can do a forced regen with Vagcom and and watch soot levels go down etc, and ends successfully, but then a check engine light comes on in a day or 2 (8863 (P2459)) I travel about 60 miles each day and take the freeway and will cruise at 80mph, no black soot in the tailpipe, in fact when I replaced the turbo and had the DPF off, the outlet was clean. The last code I had that I just cleared this morning showed my measured and calculated soot mass at 25.01 grams, Difference pressure was 43.3 m3/h. What other parameters should I look at? I didn't save the file, put I did print it. I'm in California, so not sure if just getting a Malone tune and gutting the DPF and/or getting a delete kit is an option anymore(rawtek, Stevenson's), and a new DPF is about $900, which I have no problem doing, I'll spend the money, but just want to do it once! Not sure if the DPF cleaners like Wurth foam spray in the o2 sensor opening may work?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check the ash load too. Your soot is in the regen needed phase for soot. Mine triggers at 24+/-. Drops to around 5 when done completely. DPF may have been oil soaked from the turbo.

Last edited:

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
For 2013 Passat, Regen starts when Soot mass hits 22.77g and ends at 5.** (Can't remember the value). Also Ash load max is 70g for the life of the DPF.

cudabnu

TDI
With a new DPF having 1000 units on backorder and no ETA, I guess my options are limited!

cudabnu

TDI
on my printout I do have Normed Load Value: 43.9% is that the ash volume>