Programmers???

howesje

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have done some moderate research and found only one programer, the Q-loader. I have a programmer for my truck and could choose between several differenct brands. To me the programmer makes sense. You can hook it up to the OBDII port and download the tune. Make adjustments to the wheel size, timing etc w/ease from you driveway. Then take the tune out if needed. Why is it I can't find this versitility for the VW? Seems the only way to get a tune is to send your ECU to someone or hope you live next to a tuner so you can take your vehicle to them.

Am I al alone on this one or are there others that would like to see more programmer type devices?

J.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Programmer for those are available, but works one tune at time and can only be reversed back to stock no other changes can be mayde

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
engineperformancetuning said:
Programmer for those are available, but works one tune at time and can only be reversed back to stock no other changes can be mayde
I'm sorry, but you are misinformed.

I have the Q-Loader and have changed my tune numerous times without going back to stock. You can store countless tunes in a file on your computer and you can store up to two tunes on the Q-Loader at a given time.

Howesje, I'm with you. There are not nearly enough options for us in the VW market. However, I have been very happy with the Q-Loader. It's very easy, and KermaTDI is able to send you the tunes you want via email. :)

howesje

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
jetta-girl said:

I have the Q-Loader and have changed my tune numerous times without going back to stock. You can store countless tunes in a file on your computer and you can store up to two tunes on the Q-Loader at a given time.

Howesje, I'm with you. There are not nearly enough options for us in the VW market. However, I have been very happy with the Q-Loader. It's very easy, and KermaTDI is able to send you the tunes you want via email. :)
I do like the sounds of the Q-loader but the price is a little high for me. The programmer I purchased for my truck was several hundred less than the Q-loader. The reason? Because I have 5 or more different brands to choose from. This makes it more competitive which brings the price down to a reasonable level.

I am not knocking the Q-loader. If I had the coin I would get one. Until then I will either get a tune, wait for the price to come down on the Q-loader, or wait for another programmer to show up on the market.

J.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
*read* there are programmers enough

only problem is you need a tuner that wants to mail you an unecrypted file to use with the "master" type programmer, or even better, make you own tunes :p

The Q-loader is a good concept, but I would never buy it because I can't load my own tunes with it and you're stuck to one tuner, but this si the case with all slave type programmers and the reason why they seems cheaper..

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS & Jetta GLS(Parts Store), 2015 Passat 6spd
howesje said:
I have done some moderate research and found only one programer, the Q-loader. I have a programmer for my truck and could choose between several differenct brands. To me the programmer makes sense. You can hook it up to the OBDII port and download the tune. Make adjustments to the wheel size, timing etc w/ease from you driveway. Then take the tune out if needed. Why is it I can't find this versitility for the VW? Seems the only way to get a tune is to send your ECU to someone or hope you live next to a tuner so you can take your vehicle to them.

Am I al alone on this one or are there others that would like to see more programmer type devices?

J.
Look up VWMikel. He does ECU programming and not far from you.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
HelenaTDI said:
Look up VWMikel. He does ECU programming and not far from you.
I've already talked to him a bit. I'm in The Dalles right now and heading to Portland to do some tuning tomorrow and probably do some more tuning on saturday. Hopefully I'll be in his area soon....I was hoping it would be in the next week or so but I think it's going to be a little longer. :rolleyes:

howesje

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
vwmikel said:
I've already talked to him a bit. I'm in The Dalles right now and heading to Portland to do some tuning tomorrow and probably do some more tuning on saturday. Hopefully I'll be in his area soon....I was hoping it would be in the next week or so but I think it's going to be a little longer. :rolleyes:
Yes, we have talked and I will prolly go this route. I'm just looking at all my options.

The way things are heading for me I will not have the fundage to get a tune until next spring. Hopefully you will still be in Eastern Wa at that time. Then I could take a little trip.

Rub, my main point of this thread was to get some feedback as to why there are not more programmers out there. Seems to be several in the Diesel truck world that are getting great results. Most of us are not programmers and don't mind having to stick with one tuner. As long as I get results I am happy.

J.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
You have to keep in mind that, compared to the diesel truck market, TDI's are a drop in the proverbial bucket. In the past 7 1/2 years of owning a TDI, the availability of such things as turbo upgrade kits, injector nozzle upgrades, DIY programmers and all the various goodies that are available to us has increased exponentially! When I first joined on here, there were 2 main "players" in the chip-tuning game and they only had a basic off-the-shelf tune for your car. That was the extent of power upgrades. So things are getting better as more and more people buy these cars and look into upgrading them, but you have to be patient because nobody has the time/effort/money to throw at a project like programmers for our cars if there isn't a decent expectation of making a profit. Kerma was very careful and cautious with the roll-out of the Q-loader and did a lot of research before he even mentioned it on the forums to see what our thoughts on it were. When he saw that the feedback response was very positive, he went through with the project, but even then it was still a gamble to invest in something like that piece of hardware based on a bunch of people saying "yeah, I'd buy one" or "that looks cool".

howesje

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Ed's TDI said:
You have to keep in mind that, compared to the diesel truck market, TDI's are a drop in the proverbial bucket. In the past 7 1/2 years of owning a TDI, the availability of such things as turbo upgrade kits, injector nozzle upgrades, DIY programmers and all the various goodies that are available to us has increased exponentially! When I first joined on here, there were 2 main "players" in the chip-tuning game and they only had a basic off-the-shelf tune for your car. That was the extent of power upgrades. So things are getting better as more and more people buy these cars and look into upgrading them, but you have to be patient because nobody has the time/effort/money to throw at a project like programmers for our cars if there isn't a decent expectation of making a profit. Kerma was very careful and cautious with the roll-out of the Q-loader and did a lot of research before he even mentioned it on the forums to see what our thoughts on it were. When he saw that the feedback response was very positive, he went through with the project, but even then it was still a gamble to invest in something like that piece of hardware based on a bunch of people saying "yeah, I'd buy one" or "that looks cool".
Fair enough. It is nice to hear the aftermarket world has been growing so well for the TDIs. It seems as though the the TDI is getting noticed more 2nd to the high fuel cost. That will only help increase the need for the aftemarket parts/tunes.

Thanks for the reply,

J.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
jetta-girl said:

the question was about be able to make changes (Make adjustments to the wheel size, timing etc w/ease from you driveway)

the Q Loader is a slave and gest locked whit the vin # and it vould anyting the master allow to do as many tuned file you want, but wy is the need to change tune in a car?
i would understand if was a truck and for sefty need to back-tuning for heavy towing, but not for cars

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
the question was about be able to make changes (Make adjustments to the wheel size, timing etc w/ease from you driveway)

the Q Loader is a slave and gest locked whit the vin # and it vould anyting the master allow to do as many tuned file you want, but wy is the need to change tune in a car?
i would understand if was a truck and for sefty need to back-tuning for heavy towing, but not for cars
The same does apply for cars. You can have a tune for all out power, and a tune for moderate power and better MPG. :rolleyes:

Some people like myself do not just use a "one size fits all tune" constantly.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
DaMidget said:
The same does apply for cars. You can have a tune for all out power, and a tune for moderate power and better MPG. :rolleyes:

Some people like myself do not just use a "one size fits all tune" constantly.
What is the difference between tuning and MPG then, can you describe ?

yoder5racing

TDI
2001 jettta
Ive been debating all this stuff to i think when i get around to one im going to get a Q-loader but im like you with big diesel trucks and chips, having lots of choices and being able to change them while your driving is nice. but Bullydog have a chip for the VW not sure how good it is though anyone have one?

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
What is the difference between tuning and MPG then, can you describe ?
I have a tune that has power for autocrossing and dragging - I do not use this tune all of the time. I normally drive a lower power tune - primarely because my fiancee is learning to drive my car.... :rolleyes:. I've also noticed this tune gives ~2 mpg more than my all out tune, I doubt this can be attributed to the tune but moreso to the fact that I don't floor it every chance I get.

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
My big diesel truck has a 4 position chip that is change on the fly. I run one setting in the city that gives a power increase but low smoke. I have another tune that is a good highway tune. It can climb hills and maintain speed pulling a load but puts out more smoke. At highway speeds, this smoke is dissipated by the passing air, but if I use this tune in the city and am a little prodigious with the go pedal, it looks pretty bad pulling through an intersection. Of course, there is a stock setting, and a melt your pistons setting. I warm the truck up in stock for a few miles before I switch, and never use the high setting.

I wish these were available for the TDI.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Sooner or later there will be. After all, the CR Tdis are here and no one has tuning for them....except tuning box companies. So....till the tuners catch up.... it will be boxes for all.

howesje

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Gearhead51 said:
My big diesel truck has a 4 position chip that is change on the fly. I run one setting in the city that gives a power increase but low smoke. I have another tune that is a good highway tune. It can climb hills and maintain speed pulling a load but puts out more smoke. At highway speeds, this smoke is dissipated by the passing air, but if I use this tune in the city and am a little prodigious with the go pedal, it looks pretty bad pulling through an intersection. Of course, there is a stock setting, and a melt your pistons setting. I warm the truck up in stock for a few miles before I switch, and never use the high setting.

I wish these were available for the TDI.
This is exactly what I was talking about. There are a lot of programmers for the diesel trucks and for gaser cars but not for the TDI. It would be nice to have a couple to choose from. Then I am sure there will be different types. One as you described and some that you have to download tune at a time. Either way you would have several options w/o having to take your car to a tuner and/or mailing your ecu to someone.

J.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Would be nice to have an EFILive like app for the VW like they do the DMax...

You could custom tune forever if you wanted :)

I am thinking about a PPE Econo tune for my oldmans '07 LBZ Duramax.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
DaMidget said:
I have a tune that has power for autocrossing and dragging - I do not use this tune all of the time. I normally drive a lower power tune - primarely because my fiancee is learning to drive my car.... :rolleyes:. I've also noticed this tune gives ~2 mpg more than my all out tune, I doubt this can be attributed to the tune but moreso to the fact that I don't floor it every chance I get.
this dose not explain anyting

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
mrchill said:
Sooner or later there will be. After all, the CR Tdis are here and no one has tuning for them....except tuning box companies. So....till the tuners catch up.... it will be boxes for all.
Sorry to disappoint you, EDC 17 is been out there for 2 years now in Europe,Regardless if is CRD or PD system and none mayde a Smoke box for it, "Tricore"/EDC17/MED 17 ECU's dose not like to full them, those can be tuned very soon anyway

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
Wrong.. You are talking again without knowledge! We have tuning boxes for the CR 140 engines. I had the opportunity to test one out on a 2009 Clean Jetta on Wednesday. The car performed very well. And get this Zero smoke.

Perhaps Tonino you could try to educate yourself befor talking Cr_p about every product, service or vendor. I am pretty sure you are not bringing yourself any credibility to any of the members of this board.

Sorry to disappoint you, EDC 17 is been out there for 2 years now in Europe,Regardless if is CRD or PD system and none mayde a Smoke box for it, "Tricore"/EDC17/MED 17 ECU's dose not like to full them, those can be tuned very soon anyway

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
JoeHafner said:
Wrong.. You are talking again without knowledge! We have tuning boxes for the CR 140 engines. I had the opportunity to test one out on a 2009 Clean Jetta on Wednesday. The car performed very well. And get this Zero smoke.

Perhaps Tonino you could try to educate yourself befor talking Cr_p about every product, service or vendor. I am pretty sure you are not bringing yourself any credibility to any of the members of this board.
And here are the numbers (also passes smog tests TUV):

Serie 103 kW 140 PS 320 lb-ft 236 lb-ft
Diesel Power 121 kW 165 PS 377 lb-ft 278 lb-ft
Injection System Common Rail
Diesel Power Module DIGI CR
Article Number DPCRBD
AdapterKostal Bosch
TÜV Certification Yes
Price 649 CDN

Where are the engineering "pimps" numbers??:confused: :confused:

Last edited:

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
Where are the engineering "pimps" numbers??:confused: :confused:

Still Tryin to pull them out of his woohoo!

Wit tuenning as gude as his hoo needz numburs, thay ar only gude forr accowntints.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
The "pimps" numbers are 127.4 HP, 265lb.ft., 4500rpm, 100mph, and 19.5psi. You've got the guns but he's got the numbers. Gonna win yea he's taken over. COME ON.....

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Sorry but i've just fallen over!! and its not the Jack Daniels plus you what thats caused it:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Jarmstrong

TDI
07 GMW LBZ, 95 F350 PSD, 03 Jetta
It's a blessing that these boxes aren't as available for the TDI, that means there's less abused TDIs on the market.

Every freaking "arm chair mechanic" with a diesel truck wants to put a chip in them, be cool, and run them hard. never upgrading anything else. then they get rid of them and an abused truck is on the used market. or they complain when they break something and there warranty is void.