Production numbers for Beetles?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have an interest in knowing how many tdi Beetles were produced in 2015 and/or 2012-2015. Anyone point me to that info by chance?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Given the TOTAL US sales numbers dropped like a stone in 2016, I'd say a fair number of them 2012-15 were diesels. But you are still talking about a fairly small number of cars.

2012 was not a "full" model year for them, and there were no convertibles yet, so that is kind of an off year. 2013 was the first full year, and sales were strongest that year, nearly 44k cars (about 25k were coupes, the rest 'verts) were sold here that year, and I suspect to some extent being the first diesel convertible available here ever made for a unique sales opportunity but they were still probably only 10-15% of the total sales.

I have no source that breaks down the engines, unfortunately. And of course the ones that got crushed will have reduced the potential available units in the marketplace.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
My SWAG is that across the New Beetle/A5 Beetle production, TDIs made up about 10% of the totals for the US market. The exception would be the initial year 1998, when they may have been 25% or higher. VW expected more uptake on the TDI in the US, and the demand just never got out of the niche market, especially for the Beetle model. That took hold in Europe and other markets, but never met expectations in the U.S.

I've owned our '03 NB TDI since new. Since the NBs were never badged as TDIs its always been a somewhat fun game to try to identify one on the road, usually by the soot deposits on the bumper around the tailpipe. From extensive forum participation across TDI Club, Vortex, etc over nearly 20 years I think the 10% guess holds. I live in a small town along I-80 in Northern California which sees a higher number of TDIs due to the number of commuters traveling more than 60 miles each way nearly daily. Plus there's no level ground and few straight roads, so the TDI's torque is especially appealing. Still, that demographic has nearly completely switched to electrics.

An even wilder guess would be that 2015 saw 1,300 coupes and 900 convertible TDI Beetles sold in the U.S. using the 10% number.

Using the same guess, there may have been roughly 13,000 TDI A5 Beetle sold in the US from 2012-15.

Our 2015 convertible didn't sell(actually lease)new until July 2015. It was turned in in January 2019, with the emissions updates done at that time. Since then it's been driven less than 100 miles. It was sold at auction in July 2019 and offered for sale later that month at the Hayward, CA VW dealer we bought it from on May 30th, 2020 as a CPO.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
cevans here has a '15 Beetle convertible TDI with a 6 speed manual transmission. He'd love to know how many of those were sold here. Not many, I'd suspect.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The beetle tdi was not available on the 2012, just 2013-15. My beetle was received by the dealer in July 2013, sold February 2014. I bought it as a CPO at 10,000 miles in October 2014. It’s a base tdi, no sunroof, no fog lights or navigation as original equipment. It now has fog lights and navigation:

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Ah, I forgot about that delayed offering, I recall the anticipation when I heard the news it would be coming, hoping the new engine would be more like an ALH/AFN than a BEW or the like(quality and reliablity-wise)

The beetle tdi was not available on the 2012, just 2013-15. My beetle was received by the dealer in July 2013, sold February 2014. I bought it as a CPO at 10,000 miles in October 2014. It’s a base tdi, no sunroof, no fog lights or navigation as original equipment. It now has fog lights and navigation:

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
cevans here has a '15 Beetle convertible TDI with a 6 speed manual transmission. He'd love to know how many of those were sold here. Not many, I'd suspect.
I lusted over a Yellow on Black 'Vert 6MT with the retro steelies at the dealership in Springfield, MO when I was there for work in '13 or '14. I should have bought it, and I have kicked myself ever since for not having done so. It was just perfect. :(