problem with regens

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Does anyone have an idea of how to get the TDI to do a regen when you do a lot of short trips with out going on a 100 mile run every few weeks. Most of my miles are on long trips several times a year,but in between I use the car for 5-10 miles trips.
I get a CEL every year .

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Use VCDS to look up your regens "stats" to confirm there's a problem unless you have some other indication that you have a problem.... you could be overthinking the situation.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
It's been a while since I posted the issue. The car was in for service and check on CEL, and the DPF is toast, an attempt to force a regen failed so a new DPF will go in next week gratis VW for the emissions settlement .

fohveh

TDI
2013 Beetle
Hi, same issue here. When you went in did they tentatively charge you for the scan and the force regen? Then, did they tell you it will only be warrantied if the force regen does not work? My force regen worked so I was left with the scan plus the force regen to pay for. They would not warranty it if it worked. It required two visits. It just upsets me that the scan is forced on you when I had already scanned it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I didn't have to pay anything ,because this issue is covered under the emissions settlement. I have a new DPF so I'm good for another 35k miles LOL. The whole thing is ridiculous , in my humble opinion. They can replace the DPF as often as they would like.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm unclear as to what @fohveh is saying, but I know that over here, you're "on the hook" for the initial diagnostic\scan which they perform as the first step in confirming your reported issue (even if you show up with your own VCDS scan, codes, whatever). Once they validate the issue and that it's something that will be covered by the warranty, they wave the fees and proceed with the repairs.

Realistically, if you have an active CEL, you're basically "covered".... assuming that you know how to interpret the official documentation and how to "argue" when required about it being covered or not.

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
This must be part of the emissions mod. I don't have a DPF on my 2014. 157K miles and it runs beautiful. So far I don't regret not getting the emission mod done.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you mean you don't have a DPF? So you've deleted it and at the same time said no thanks to free money?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What do you mean you don't have a DPF? So you've deleted it and at the same time said no thanks to free money?
They also tune the Transmission to suck, which people revert the flash or buy an old TCU.

It's a toss up of free money or a crappy tune/fix.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They also give you extended warranty coverage which saves you a lot of coin.... I just received $2500 worth of no cost repairs to a 9 year old vehicle with 173k on the clock..... everyone has priorities I guess.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They also tune the Transmission to suck, which people revert the flash or buy an old TCU.

It's a toss up of free money or a crappy tune/fix.
Not to mention, that if I was going to spend 2-3k on tunes and deletes, I'd still want 7k or whatever of free money before I spent it.....

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I don't think I have a DPF but maybe I do. I never deleted anything. I bought my Touareg after the calamity hit and wasn't available for the cash back. The only thing I do on it is to change fuel filters. I drive fairly conservative and it averages about 27 mpg. I really don't think its performance has changed much after 157K miles and it loses about 3/4 quart of oil after 8K miles. It still goes like hell when you nail it. But knock on wood, something always fails.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
In the states there are some states that don't have emissions test, Quite amazing ,but it is a states option. I can't imagine passing a emissions test with out a DPF. Tail pipe emissions test would pick that up immediately .