Problem with coolant junction on lower radiator hose

orangefowvay

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hi there!

I replaced the elbow-junction (not sure what to call it) that goes from the thermostat area to the bottom radiator hose on my A3 Jetta, as the original one was no longer up to the job. I've had what seems like a fair amount of bad luck with the replacements that are available, as the first one leaked on the thermostat end after I replaced it a few months after I put it on the car. I torqued the bolts down using my torque wrench, I made sure the surfaces were clean, etc. So I replaced that one with another elbow and the associated connector pipe that goes into the lower radiator hose. That one leaked right out of the package at the junction between the two parts. The o-ring looked fine upon disassembly, but the two parts didn't fit well together even with a new clip holding them together. So I exchanged that and still have two poorly fitting parts that literally move around as though they aren't machined well enough to ensure they don't move when seated together. I'd try to get a replacement at the junkyard but I really don't think that's going to be any better being 20+ year old plastic. I typically try to avoid Uro Parts non-branded parts, but I suspect this is one of those situations where these parts are poor copies of the original? I don't believe you can get the OEM parts at this point, either. So I was wondering if there's a different way to address this problem? Ideally, I'd like to get away from having that junction since it seems to be the weak point.

Thanks!

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I too have had a leak when the o-ring was just slightly out of alignment or spec. Try a different o-ring.
As for the thermostat housing and connector pipe, I recommend genuine parts only. I believe that’s all still available through IDParts.com.

orangefowvay

TDI
1998 Jetta
I too have had a leak when the o-ring was just slightly out of alignment or spec. Try a different o-ring.
As for the thermostat housing and connector pipe, I recommend genuine parts only. I believe that’s all still available through IDParts.com.
Unfortunately, it looks like the ones IDParts carries are aftermarket. 😕 (The elbow says OEM but when you click on it, it's aftermarket. I don't have anything against IDParts for this, as they don't control who makes the parts. Plus there are less of these on the road when compared to a car with the CJAA, for example.)

I suppose I could try swapping the o-ring for another. It's a bit annoying to have to keep fiddling with it, but the car isn't getting any younger, so there's that. :D

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If we could only buy this part:
I need this!
I’ll spray paint some and sell them for $24.99 each! AL paint can be very convincing…

I suppose I could try swapping the o-ring for another.
I posted this before, but use a shop vac to help hold the thermostat in. My M18 vacuum end was only close to the head flange, and it easily sucked the stat to the pump housing. The o-ring will support its own weight while you have both hands are free, to work easily.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I’ll spray paint some and sell them for $24.99 each! AL paint can be very convincing…

I posted this before, but use a shop vac to help hold the thermostat in. My M18 vacuum end was only close to the head flange, and it easily sucked the stat to the pump housing. The o-ring will support its own weight while you have both hands are free, to work easily.

-Todd
Honestly I wondered about that, and the fact that we could never get a brand or retail outlet out of him leads me to believe that it might be aluminum spray on plastic....

As for needing this yes, it would be nice if it was actually metal, but even so there's no guarantee that your fit will be any better. As to why your past pieces have been ill-fitting I cannot say, but I have replaced countless t-stat flanges on these (and Mk3 cars) over the years and NEVER had anything more than an o-ring failure that I caused myself.

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Honestly I wondered about that, and the fact that we could never get a brand or retail outlet out of him leads me to believe that it might be aluminum spray on plastic....
The circular indentation underneath the bolt looks suspiciously like an injection molding mark, not a tooling mark from machined metal. What motivates people to do stuff like this, is beyond me.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’d imagine these are cast, just like the AL ones for the early water cooled cars. I remember seeing a used one on FB, about a year ago, but the guy wanted around $30 plus shipping. It wasn’t worth it to me since I’ve never really had issues with the plastic ones, so I passed.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I’d imagine these are cast, just like the AL ones for the early water cooled cars. I remember seeing a used one on FB, about a year ago, but the guy wanted around $30 plus shipping. It wasn’t worth it to me since I’ve never really had issues with the plastic ones, so I passed.

-Todd
I don't think they are...the color of this flange is slightly off....and the way the piece looks in certain areas makes me believe it's been painted.

I think that whole deal was a ruse....and the fact that we never got anything else from the OP about them leads me to believe these are fake.

Even if it was real there's no guarantee that it would solve any particular problem....maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even if it was real there's no guarantee that it would solve any particular problem....maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.
The complaints I’ve read are cracking and warping. In my 30 years of A1s with cast AL pump elbows, I’ve never experienced either, but then again I’ve never experienced either with the plastic ones…

-Todd

volksguy

Veteran Member
They are very much REAL!!!!
So how would you care like this to be proven???
How About a Whatsapp video call?
PM me your phone number Anyone that wants this proof.
With my paint gauge that will show the material it's made out of.
Moving it from the water pump to the thermostat housing will show on the
gauge the material it's made from.
Or do i need to mail a Compleat one to Steve Addy?????
Free as long as its shipped back
There is a limited of these only available as a complete unit.
Water pump with metal impeller, water pump housing, metal water pump gasket
thermostat, and of course Aluminum thermostat housing.
Right now, i have 5 more being shipped.
And willing to let them go at cost to the TDI Group + shipping.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
They are very much REAL!!!!
So how would you care like this to be proven???
How About a Whatsapp video call?
PM me your phone number Anyone that wants this proof.
With my paint gauge that will show the material it's made out of.
Moving it from the water pump to the thermostat housing will show on the
gauge the material it's made from.
Or do i need to mail a Compleat one to Steve Addy?????
Free as long as its shipped back
There is a limited of these only available as a complete unit.
Water pump with metal impeller, water pump housing, metal water pump gasket
thermostat, and of course Aluminum thermostat housing.
Right now, i have 5 more being shipped.
And willing to let them go at cost to the TDI Group + shipping.
Lol...all I ever asked for (repeatedly) was the brand, part number and the outlet that sells them, and you refused to provide that, even though I took my time to host your photos of the (I still believe it's fake) thermostat flange.

Steve

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
It looks real to me, and I worked in high pressure aluminum die casting. How much are the units?

volksguy

Veteran Member
So, after finding out. the story on theses (and that just happen yesterday).
They are left over stock from a German. Parts Importer that went out of business
I can buy much of the remaining. Stock but once there gone there is no more.
The one i got first Steve Addy was kind to post.
Cost price would depend. on if i buy all the remaining stock.
Could be Lower.
I paid $80.00 each on the 5 i have coming.
All i asked is that and shipping cost.
If no one here wants. them at cost its fine

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I will take one if you will ship USPS to Canada when you get them. Thanks

volksguy

Veteran Member
Pm me with a address for shipping. I will work on a shipping cost. I only ask when receaved you post its as discribed.