(probably moronic) LED/DRL/HID install questions

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Posted elsewhere too...

DUMBASS ALERT: Received my OEM-style w/ HID kit today. Thanks, Ed! Questions for the experts...

The parts included with the HID kit kinda gave me pause so I installed the regular light set only for now. May get to it later, may sell the HID kit. We'll see. Didn't make much sense to me, install wise, and had limited time today.

Removed the grill in about 2 minutes following instructions I found here. The removal of the light made sense to me and I disconnected the wiring. Made a BIG mistake by mixing the parts from the HID kit with the regular light parts; actually, they were all in separate bubble wrap bundles and I wasn't sure what went with what.

I used the "three arm harness/adapter" thing to install the lights, which seemed pretty straight forward, and no other parts or wires. Everything seemed to connect -- the larger plugs to the larger receptacle, the smaller to the smaller. Took me a while to realize I needed to use the existing bulbs from the existing lights... :facepalm:

(and we absolutely confirm this was above my paygrade) :rolleyes:

The lights all seem to work, but I get error messages saying to check the left and right DRLs. Also, the headlights seem to be at about 50% power when turned on. And should the amber lights and regular headlights be on when it's a DRL only situation? (Auto lights off, headlights not on)

Lastly: is everything in the pic part of the HID kit, or should some of it been used in the non-HID install? :confused:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...334.1180660948&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
sounds like the adapter harness is not wired correctly.
Your photo link is not working.

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/jpbran/media/HID_wiring_zps11ec75b4.jpg.html

Here's a better link... why can't this site just allow direct photo uploads? :p

Now NOTHING comes on unless the headlights are actually ON or activated by AUTO in darker settings. No DRLs, etc. (they actually seem to come on at first, but go off at some point along the way)

The headlights do come on, but are crazy dim at night. Like worrisome-amount of dimness. Had to use my brights to see coming home last night; took side streets. Pulled up behind a dark gray SUV and very little light was hitting its rear gate, shiny bumper, etc.

Blurg.

Last edited:

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Sorry... I meant like an "Upload Photo" button vs. having to provide a photo link. ;)

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
if you are running HID's you must disable the DRL, they will burn up the HID's running partial power. you need VCDS for this

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
He's running halogens in it now, based on the first post. Sounds to me like you have a bad ground, OP. Check all of the grounds and make sure you have solid connections.

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Does this seem correct? I have the two larger connectors wired together (disconnected for pic):

And I have the small red/black wire cluster plug connected to the small yellow/black cluster plug: (disconnected for pix)

When the headlights are ON or AUTO-activated, everything seems to come on with the headlights at about 50% as I mentioned...

When in DRL mode, the left (driver right) side looks perfect, but the right (driver left) does nothing.

Was I supposed to wire more than those two connections per side? (again, NOT using the HID set currently) THANKS!

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Turns out it was a mis-wire with the DRL dongle/extension on the harness. One of them needed a black/yellow reversal. Next step is adjusting the positioning of the lights. Hoping a slight vertical increase will help with the amount of usable light.

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Guidance on adjusting the lights using the screws in the back? There's one easily accessible screw/bolt that seems to be behind the high-beam. Adjusting it though doesn't seem to make much difference (that I can tell). Does it JUST do the high beam?

The lower, hard-to-reach screw/bolt definitely seems to make the regular/low projector move vertically. I've adjusted it up a LOT but it still seems to leave a big dark gap between the lights' illumination.

Ideas? Is there a way to adjust them horizontally?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The first adjuster that you mention should do horizontal adjustment, I believe.

SLOVW

TDI
B7 Passat SEL Premium
if you are running HID's you must disable the DRL, they will burn up the HID's running partial power. you need VCDS for this
I installed these same lights with HIDs. I also have the same "Check Daytime Running Light Front Left and Front Right" message showing up in the MFA. Functionality, however, seems fine. HIDs power up to full brightness. DRLs work when parking brake is released and during the coming home feature. With coming home HIDs also come on which to me seems like an extra load on the bulbs and ballast. I do not have VCDS to see if the tweaks will help. Anybody else have any tips? :confused:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I installed these same lights with HIDs. I also have the same "Check Daytime Running Light Front Left and Front Right" message showing up in the MFA. Functionality, however, seems fine. HIDs power up to full brightness. DRLs work when parking brake is released and during the coming home feature. With coming home HIDs also come on which to me seems like an extra load on the bulbs and ballast. I do not have VCDS to see if the tweaks will help. Anybody else have any tips? :confused:

Coming Home and Leaving Home can be adjusted in the MFI with the steering wheel controls.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG

Actually, this is not exactly correct for a 2012+ Passat. This is because the 2012+ Passat uses a separate bulb for the DRL function. (Older cars like the A5 Jetta uses the headlight bulb at low power).

Still, I would probably disable the "lifetime extension function" (it reduces the voltage to the headlights to I believe 12.8 V; I'd think the ballasts would like to receive full power especially at startup (~14 V).

SLOVW

TDI
B7 Passat SEL Premium
Coming Home and Leaving Home can be adjusted in the MFI with the steering wheel controls.
Great! found it. Thanks! This looks like it adjusts the length the lights can stay on.

Actually, this is not exactly correct for a 2012+ Passat. This is because the 2012+ Passat uses a separate bulb for the DRL function. (Older cars like the A5 Jetta uses the headlight bulb at low power).

Still, I would probably disable the "lifetime extension function" (it reduces the voltage to the headlights to I believe 12.8 V; I'd think the ballasts would like to receive full power especially at startup (~14 V).
If I disable DRL using VCDS won't this then also disable the LEDs?
I'm also still trying to see if doing this change will also disable the "Check Daytime Running Light" Error. Definitely going to spring for the RossTech VCDS now.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Great! found it. Thanks! This looks like it adjusts the length the lights can stay on.
If I disable DRL using VCDS won't this then also disable the LEDs?
I'm also still trying to see if doing this change will also disable the "Check Daytime Running Light" Error. Definitely going to spring for the RossTech VCDS now.
Yes VCDS is awesome... but you should not be receiving the error message at all, with VCDS adjustments or not... sorry but I believe something is wrong, you should contact the part supplier.

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
STILL having issues getting the lights adjusted. Partially due to having a very slanted drive and a garage with an angled wall (neither make for a very good situation to test the light pattern/spread.)

I figured out tightening/clockwise is the way to raise the beams and loosening/clockwise lowers them. Which is the correct way to adjust right and which to adjust left? Has been trial and error going out to find a dark road to test, and it's REALLY hard to see any movement as you adjust the very hard to reach screws for horizontal tweaks. Thanks!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What you need to do is go for a drive down a straight dark back road. Observe the lights - is the cutoff too close? are they hitting oncoming traffic in the face? Adjust as necessary, perhaps stopping 3 or 4 times to make adjustments, with beam pattern observations (a mile of driving) between each adjustment.

This is how I adjust all of my lights. I don't use tape on a garage door or any of that nonsense. How does it actually perform on the road? That's what's important!

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Thanks -- definitely done that a few times. Just can't seem to figure out the horizontal adjustment method. I think it's one way, then next time out realize it's probably wrong. And the horizontal adjust screws are super hard to reach, which doesn't make for simple on the go tweaks... (Verticals are prett my easy.)

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
you can reach the horizontal adjust screws through the little hatch in the front wheel well that is used to change the OEM DRL bulb, pita that it is. It is best to use a ratcheting box wrench to adjust the screws. That way it won't slip off.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
you can reach the horizontal adjust screws through the little hatch in the front wheel well that is used to change the OEM DRL bulb, pita that it is. It is best to use a ratcheting box wrench to adjust the screws. That way it won't slip off.
+1 on the ratcheting box wrench.
The right & left adjusting screws are on the outside of the light. On the drivers side light clockwise (righty-tighty) will move it to the left. Counter clockwise (lefty-loosey) will move it to the right.
The passenger side light is opposite, clockwise will move it to the right, counter clockwise will move it to the left.

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Thanks everyone!

PS -- Anyone know if I should have bulb-life extender turned off while using the HID lights? (I know someone locally who can do it for me.) They're sorta bright, but nowhere near as bright as the Xenons on the Acura TSX we (briefly) had.

Ray Khan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks everyone!

PS -- Anyone know if I should have bulb-life extender turned off while using the HID lights? (I know someone locally who can do it for me.) They're sorta bright, but nowhere near as bright as the Xenons on the Acura TSX we (briefly) had.
The bub life extender won't change the light output for the xenon. It raises the voltage to the ballast but the ballast controls the output to the bulb.

Last edited:

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Just got a "Check Left Front Turn Signal" warning, and the light seems to be staying on steady. Ideas? Ugh.