Princess auto vs Metalnerd

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I have decided to change my alternator pulley before it seizes, and in Wingnuts "on car pulley swap" he uses a modified metalnerd tool (MN3400). While google-ing "alternator pulley socket", I found this tool kit which seems to include the proper selection of bits and sockets to get the job done. Can anyone tell if the included bits are short enough from the pictures? They look good to me but I wanted a second opinion.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Princess auto costs twenty dollars more.
the fact I'm in Newfoundland and looking at princess auto should have tipped you off to the fact I'm in Canada. The poor exchange rate, shipping, and border fees would mean the metalnerd tool is actually more than the PA kit.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Went with the PA set

So I went ahead and bought the PA set. If it doesn't end up being what I need then I can always return it. They are good that way. Its a pretty comprehensive set, and the M10 bit looks about as short as the metal nerd set to be honest. What surprised me if that there are actually 3 separate 33 spline go-through sockets. 2 have a 17mm hex end and 1 has a 15mm hex end. A fourth spline tool is slightly smaller than the other 3, not sure what its for. Possibly a different car brand altogether. I took some pictures if anyone wanted to see what the set looks like, and the 2 parts needed for the pulley itself.

Side note, If anyone plans to do this job in the future, You can buy the set here for about 15 dollars (shipped). Probably the cheapest route to take and the route I would go if I had known about it a while ago. It will take a month to ship it directly from China and I want to get this done before the cold weather sets in and makes working in the driveway unbearable.
PS For anyone who wants to chime in and say "Chinesium", keep in mind the PA and metalnerd tools come from Asia as well.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Went to swap my pulley, found the supplied 10mm 12 point bit is about a centimetre too long. I'll cut it and file flats for the wrench Wednesday and hopefully it works then.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Let us know how you make out, i should pic a kit up, i have an alternator i need to work on

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Got it cut down a bit, I can post pictures a bit later. Couldn't get the pulley turning yesterday when I tried using my fancy new bit. Would it be better if I warm up to the pulley since its below zero where I'm working? Its a bit close to the fuel lines for a torch but I can get a heat gun on it for a few minutes. Will a standard heat gun provide enough heat to ease the removal? Oh, and PS, my idler pulley failed catastrophically the other day.
[/url][/IMG]

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Sorry to be late, but I measured the tool. At 62mm it clears the frame rail, and enough of it protrudes to be accessible past the spline tool. I had to grind 2 flats onto it to fit the wrench, since cutting it down removed the hex end. I may end up tacking on a nut to make it easier to use. Not sure, will update if i do.

scottw99

TDI
2002 Jetta 5MT
I just took the alt off the car and used the PA kit on the pulley off the car. I was hoping I would be able to remove it with the alt on but oh well, got experience removing the alt and after figuring it out it wasn't that bad.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just took the alt off the car and used the PA kit on the pulley off the car. I was hoping I would be able to remove it with the alt on but oh well, got experience removing the alt and after figuring it out it wasn't that bad.
Do you have A/C? If so how was it to remove and reloacte the compressor? I mainly wanted to keep the alt on the car so I could leave my compressor in place. Really hate having to play with that system since it's full of bad news fluid.

In other news, I still haven't changed that pulley. Winter out here in NL is never ending and non of the guys in my program have a enclosed garage.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Do you have A/C? If so how was it to remove and reloacte the compressor? I mainly wanted to keep the alt on the car so I could leave my compressor in place. Really hate having to play with that system since it's full of bad news fluid.

In other news, I still haven't changed that pulley. Winter out here in NL is never ending and non of the guys in my program have a enclosed garage.
The A/c pump is quite easy to remove, after removing the rear covers and belt, two 16 mm bolts a bit of wiggling and it drips, you could set it on an upside down bucker or box , or grab a bungee cord and tie it up to the frame rail. They have those slide nuts on the back side, apply a bit of oil to them, and to make it easier to install just put a bolt back in and tap them back in gently before you put it back in place.