Pricing for A3 TDI

minienigma

TDI
Murano Green Audi A3 TDI
jkp1187 said:
Just wondering what sort of pricing people have been getting for A3 TDIs lately. May be in the market this month. Thanks.
I just got mine two weeks ago, got $750 off MSRP, which is a bit high IMO, but it's a custom ordered car with custom color, so I'm satisfied.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
@minienigma: Just curious, what options did you get? We're in the situation where we may have to special order a 2011 b/c it may be hard to find what we're looking for...

minienigma

TDI
Murano Green Audi A3 TDI
jkp1187 said:
@minienigma: Just curious, what options did you get? We're in the situation where we may have to special order a 2011 b/c it may be hard to find what we're looking for...
I got the premium plus trim with convenience and sport package. I would recommend finding a dealer stock one to take advantage of the $1300 tax credit ending in June, not to mention avoiding the wait for the custom built car.

I've heard that demand for the A3 is way down on the count that people are waiting for the 2011/2012 refresh -- to the point that they shutdown the factory for a week or two during February and March. It would probably explain why my A3 was late by about two months (originally supposed to have arrived in March). So, wait time might be considerable for a custom ordered A3.

The main reason I went with the custom built route was the color. Audi/VW isn't very creative when it comes to color for the North American market, other than the standard red, black, white and plethora of silver/gray paint, there isn't much else. The only paint color that interested me was the Aruba blue, which dealers don't typically order. So I had to custom order it.

Most dealers will probably at the very least order the convenience and cold weather packages with premium plus trim level. I live in so. cal. so cold weather package is basically useless.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Yeah. We're having difficulty finding one because we want premium plus and cold weather, but no sunroof. No one seems to have one available at all. Getting the $1300 tax credit is nice, but even if we don't get one until later, we'll still be eligible for 50% of the tax credit until December 31.

Is there a refresh planned for the 2011 model year? The dealer I talked to indicated that there weren't many changes in the offing -- though I never trust dealers to know what's actually happening.

hyampols

TDI
Just Dreaming
One Available in NJ

JKP1187-

I believe there was a lightly used one (1500 miles or so) available in NJ (Jack Daniels Audi), right outside of NYC. I believe it was gray with Premium Plus, Cold Weather but no sunroof. They were asking $31,900. Don't know if it is still available.

Good Luck!

minienigma

TDI
Murano Green Audi A3 TDI
jkp1187 said:
Yeah. We're having difficulty finding one because we want premium plus and cold weather, but no sunroof.
Yeah, I forgot about the sunroof that dealers typically will order their cars with. Personally I don't really use sun/moon roofs (you would think I would, since I live in so cal) -- so I ordered mine w/o one.

jkp1187 said:
Is there a refresh planned for the 2011 model year? The dealer I talked to indicated that there weren't many changes in the offing -- though I never trust dealers to know what's actually happening.
I remember reading about it somewhere. I'm not sure which year -- probably 2011 for the European market? Who knows when the refresh will reach U.S. shores -- maybe 2012? There were speculations about the new A3 will have notch back version. I wasn't about to risk the hatchback version not reaching U.S. shores, so I ordered and purchased mine now.

Based on my order, it took about 5 months for the car to arrive from order to delivery. So, if you want to get in on the $650 tax credit, you should probably get your orders in soon.

Last edited:

automobiliben

TDI
2010 Audi A3
jkp1187 said:
I was in the Munich airport today and there was a French car magazine L'Automobile with pictures of the 2012 A3 on the cover and some interior shots insides. I would expect they would bring the car to the US at the same time, since the European and US cars run down the same assembly line...

I am surprised I haven't seen more pictures of the 2012 online if a magazine is running an article on it...

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
automobiliben said:
I was in the Munich airport today and there was a French car magazine L'Automobile with pictures of the 2012 A3 on the cover and some interior shots insides. I would expect they would bring the car to the US at the same time, since the European and US cars run down the same assembly line...

I am surprised I haven't seen more pictures of the 2012 online if a magazine is running an article on it...

Is this what you saw? I don't speak French so I just looked for 2012 on the page. It looks like a render. I would love to have more info on the 2012 A3.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
minienigma said:
Yeah, I forgot about the sunroof that dealers typically will order their cars with. Personally I don't really use sun/moon roofs (you would think I would, since I live in so cal) -- so I ordered mine w/o one.
It's funny, we rented a Ford Mustang convertible while on vacation in Las Vegas a few years ago. After spending a day with the top down, we quickly grew tired of the noise and constant heat. We resolved that we'd never get a convertible or sunroof again if we could avoid it - we're just not open sky people! :)

Based on my order, it took about 5 months for the car to arrive from order to delivery. So, if you want to get in on the $650 tax credit, you should probably get your orders in soon.
Kind of reluctant to order until we see an actual price sheet -- dealers said they won't be finalized until July at the earliest.

automobiliben

TDI
2010 Audi A3
torifile said:

Is this what you saw? I don't speak French so I just looked for 2012 on the page. It looks like a render. I would love to have more info on the 2012 A3.
Hmm, I don't remember that pic from the article, but this link shows the cover photo:

http://www.automobile-magazine.fr/les_plus/l_automobile_magazine

Car definitely looks really neat, and the couple of interior shots looked really nice. I think these pics are renderings as well.

JaivH

TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium
minienigma said:
I got the premium plus trim with convenience and sport package. I would recommend finding a dealer stock one to take advantage of the $1300 tax credit ending in June, not to mention avoiding the wait for the custom built car.

I've heard that demand for the A3 is way down on the count that people are waiting for the 2011/2012 refresh -- to the point that they shutdown the factory for a week or two during February and March. It would probably explain why my A3 was late by about two months (originally supposed to have arrived in March). So, wait time might be considerable for a custom ordered A3.

The main reason I went with the custom built route was the color. Audi/VW isn't very creative when it comes to color for the North American market, other than the standard red, black, white and plethora of silver/gray paint, there isn't much else. The only paint color that interested me was the Aruba blue, which dealers don't typically order. So I had to custom order it.

Most dealers will probably at the very least order the convenience and cold weather packages with premium plus trim level. I live in so. cal. so cold weather package is basically useless.

Mine arrived this week and I custom ordered the Aruba Blue as well. It is such a nice colour and it is the only one of its kind in town. :)

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
JaivH said:
Mine arrived this week and I custom ordered the Aruba Blue as well. It is such a nice colour and it is the only one of its kind in town. :)
Does anyone have any pictures posted of the Aruba Blue A3? Just wanted to see what one looked like - the Audi website doesn't have any.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Just wondering if anyone had invoice pricing for 2011 yet? I talked to a dealer this weekend who had the 2011 MSRP price list (which he gave that to me,) but he didn't give me the invoice, of course.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Hate to say it, but we're on the verge of making a new car purchase shortly, and will probably pass on the Audi A3 TDI option this time around. Ultimately, the stories of the HPFP issue were worrying to me. I tend to keep cars well past the warranty time, and the thought of having a $10,000 repair expense past warranty, however remote the chance, and constantly worrying about fuel lubricity just is a bit too much for my first time at bat with a diesel. It's a shame, b/c we both really liked the TDI for its luxury and fuel economy, and little bit of sportiness.

kcc

TDI
2011 A3 Ibis white
Invoice pricing

FWIW, detailed invoice pricing can be had on the 2011's from Motor Trend:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2011/audi/a3/tdi_hatchback/1600/pricing/index.html

I was able to match sticker price to the dollar with several different configured 2011 models in the area, and my dealer offered me $700 over invoice which I felt was fair.

If everything goes through tomorrow afternoon, we will take delivery on a white premium plus with cold weather, convenience, and sunroof packages!

Bilsko

TDI
A3
FWIW, detailed invoice pricing can be had on the 2011's from Motor Trend:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2011/audi/a3/tdi_hatchback/1600/pricing/index.html

I was able to match sticker price to the dollar with several different configured 2011 models in the area, and my dealer offered me $700 over invoice which I felt was fair.

If everything goes through tomorrow afternoon, we will take delivery on a white premium plus with cold weather, convenience, and sunroof packages!
I'm pretty sure those are MSRP prices - not Factory invoice. All of those numbers are somewhere around 7% higher than what the dealer pays the factory to order the vehicle.