Price for "Stage 1" Chip

magdoll

TDI
2005 Golf
I picked up my 05 Golf from Mobile One a couple of days ago and while I was there Jason asked if I would be interested in modifying the ECU.

He boasted a 50% increase in horsepower with slightly increased efficiency--the price he quoted me was $550. Has anyone else around here done this?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Lots of info on power mods here. In fact, a whole section of the forum is dedicated to power mods.

50% more power out of a chip is highly unlikely, though. Not without some other serious mods.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Lots of info on power mods here. In fact, a whole section of the forum is dedicated to power mods.

50% more power out of a chip is highly unlikely, though. Not without some other serious mods.

whats 50% more of 90hp?

magdoll

TDI
2005 Golf
Yeah I read a whole thread about about it. It seems like everyone gets an increase, but the amount of increase varies. This very well could be his custom tune, I know he has a dyno. I was just curious if anyone else has tried his tune... and if that price was fair.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
On my ALH with PP520's stock turbo I got just under 130 hp with RC2. Now I am at 146+hp with same injectors, 17/22 turbo and RC4. So for me I did get about 50% increase in hp with both injector upgrade and chip.

The price is more than I have ever paid for a chip. www.rocketchip.com

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
$550 for a chiptune seems pretty high to me as well. I had Jeff, Mr. Rocketchip, remap my ECU at a GTG a couple years ago for less than that and I'm quite happy with the results. For $550 I'd expect overnight return of the ECU and the short tasting menu with wine pairings at Alinea.