Prevent Rocker Panel Rot

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Noticed a lot on rocker panel rot however has anyone fixed the problem before it starts? Replace the foam backing
with something that does not hold water? Mine had a pile of wet stuff behind that foam (sponge) only a matter of time
before rot comes. Ideas needed!

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Well, surprised that nobody tried something to prevent rust - just let it rust?
Cleaned area, let form dry out which took 4 days, shrink wrapped it with boat stuff.
It's back in, so hope no future rust.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Many owners in NE / salted winter areas do a combination of consistently washing the salt off and applying a rust preventative 1x/2x a year. I have used Fluid Film with good results. I'm guessing most of the Mk7 cars are still young enough that they are not experiencing notable rust yet- do you have any pictures? The foam you are talking about is in the wheel well (not rocker panel)?

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Correct, runs from behind the mud flap up to the hood hinge. Just removed the right side one on Sunday, placed under the boiler and it's still wet as of Monday @ 8pm. What a poor design! :mad:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
The two primary points of rust for the MkIV fenders are/were the the foam installed at the top of the wheel well liner, and the collection of debris behind the liner, in the space between the liner and well at the rear of the tire. Most MkIV owners ripped the foam out entirely, and went to routine cleanings / rust proofing of the debris collection area. Our Mk7's are so new (to us, at least) and have so few miles, I haven't even investigated that area yet, but my guess is that solution will be similar to the MkIV. If you haven't tried it, Fluid Film is a lanolin based spray that works really well. It's also not too pricey, and is quite safe compared to some of the other products.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Another vote for fluid film. Buy a gallon, thin with mineral turps, keep a rag around with some on it. Great for all your ferrous metals, your tools will love it.

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Here is the foam after shrink wrap, the picture before and after are in a location called "Jetta"
Unable to put into the thread, sorry

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Has anyone heard of NHOU (nhoilundercoating.com) products? Discussed quite a bit on a variety of US truck and auto repair shows. Seems to deliver good results based on google searches. Seeking any comments from users that have used it or heard of it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline