Press Releases

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
Guys, I've been working on press releases to try
and get this in some of the local news papers and in front of the general public.

Last night I got word from the " community shopper" that they will be usign the press release that Ed and I put together.

I just got off the phone with the Janesville Gazzette and they too will be putting an article in their paper about the events that will be going on. I don't get that paper but for those of you who have access to it, maybe watch for it?

I'm have sent the press release out to many others but have not heard back yet. Who knows, we may have media coverage out there, helicopters, and who knows what else besides a lot of general public asking questions? So, be sure and put on your best duds and brush your teeth to get rid of your beer breath from the night before!

Later, Jeff

Here is what the press release states:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They keep going…and going…and going!

Lake Mills, WI. – August 23, 2005. This Labor day weekend (September 2nd – 4th) a group of North American car enthusiast will be gathering locally with perhaps some of the most fuel efficient cars to date. We’re talking about the diesel TDI engine, which stands for Turbo Direct Injection. The TDIClub.com group, which has nearly 36,000 registrants on their web site, is hosting this national event called “TDI Fest” which will be held this year in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. This is the 6th year of the event which takes place annually at various locations throughout North America. In previous years the event has been held in Boston MA, Toronto Canada, and Park City UT among others. This year’s event is expected to draw over 150 club members from around the continent with these vehicles embarking on Lake Mills this coming holiday weekend. The numbers of attendees have grown substantially over the years as these cars begin to become more and more sought after and more popular.

Remember the early diesels that belched the black soot cloud behind them and were noisy? Today’s diesels put to rest these issues and if someone didn’t tell you it was a diesel, you probably wouldn’t know it was one. The biggest feature of the diesel TDI engine is the excellent mileage per gallon of fuel. The TDI engine can get over 50 miles per gallon, and some vehicles can get over 1,000 miles on a tank! Another unique design of the engine is the potential to burn alternative fuels. A highlight of this gathering will be supporters of Biodiesel and waste vegetable oil. Biodiesel has been around for some time now but has been mostly used by the farmers in their farm machinery. It can be made from almost any vegetable oil, but is generally made from soy beans. The soy bean is processed and refined into a fuel that these cars can burn and obtain an even higher mileage per gallon of fuel, is cleaner burning and relieves the burden of having to depend on foreign lands for oil production. The Biodiesel can be blended with standard diesel in various percentages all the way up to 100% Biodiesel. There will be a large number of Biodiesel supporters at the event, Biodiesel vendors and seminars being held during the event on Saturday explaining the benefits of this alternative fuel.

The majority of the Biodiesel event will be held at the Lake Mills town hall building throughout the day from 9-4p.m. There will be many other events held during this day such as a show-n-shine car show, horsepower competition using a portable dyno lab, slow skills driving competition and other various events located at the Rotary Park in Lake Mills. Boucher Volkswagen out of Milwaukee/Racine is planning on having a large number of TDI vehicles there and will be having a one day sale as well as Volkswagen of America representatives there to explain the TDI engine and how a diesel works.

With the rising cost of a gallon of gas, don’t be surprised if you begin to see more and more of these vehicles pulling up to the diesel pump.

If you’d like to find out more information on TDI’s or Biodiesel, you can log on the internet and log into www.tdiclub.com or http://www.biodiesel.org/.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Reposted by eschady for bluenb1.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, we've already been covered by the Jefferson County Paper, and have been contacted by the Lake Mills and Janesville papers. It looks pretty favorable that we will have some press coverage.

If anyone has any contacts with the local TV stations, that would be awesome to get one of them here.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
cool! argh i wish i could make it! just filled up with b100 today, despite it's price tag of 3.75 in my area. i normally run b20. i'll be interested in hearing all about fest!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Have you folks thought about contacting VW Vortex and having them cover it? I believe they are out of Chicago.

Sam in St. Cloud

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
I sent something into them...I never heard a thing though...I'll try again.

I just got off the phone wiht the Lake Mills Leeder. Their article should be publised this coming Thursday and they will be out Saturday to take some photos for a follow up. Later, Jeff

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
What about contacting the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel or some of the Milwaukee news stations? Especially with gas prices going up $0.20 this morning. I'm sure they would send someone out to report about cars that get over 50mpg and is currently over $0.20 cheaper then gas. Heck, I think I might try calling them and see what they say.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Well I got off my lazy butt and just called the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and TMJ4 to let them know about the fest. So we shall see if they come out. They did tell me that they were going to go on TDIClub.com and to the TDIFest 2005 section to find out more about it.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
May I suggest contacting Wisconsin Public Radio? They have a great team of reporters, and I'll bet they'll make an effort to get there. They also frequently contribute to National Public Radio, so maybe those of us who couldn't make it can tune in.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I contacted an old student at WDAZ and asked if they were interested.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Local cable access channels could do something too.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
I just did a phone interview with Gil from Wisconsin Public Radio. It lasted about 5-10 minutes and the main topic of discussion was the recent events with the huricane and gas prices and the draw towards "alternative" fuels.

It went very well I think. I hit pretty much all the hot topics:

The US relying so heavily on Dino fuels
Mileage of the diesels. 700 miles per tank is not uncommon and some get 1000 miles per tank.
Itroduction of more diesel passenger vehicles like Jeep Liberty and the VW Toureg.
Biodiesel and how it's produced and where it comes from and how it's been around for some time but is becoming more popular.
Waste vegtable conversion kits and what they'll allow folks to do.
The prices of diesel compared to RULG (in our area) and what it's done in the last month or so and where it's going.
That we'll be having seminars on Saturday at 10 and 2 specifically on Biodiesel and that there'd be a seminar on the grease car kit and WVO production. (must have a WVO car there on display. Please contact me via PM)
That there would be on display vehicles with the waste vegtable kit and folks there to explain how it works and how to process the fuel. (again, contact me via PM)
Where and when the event will be held and how many registered TDI club members will be coming from around North America.
I invited folks out to come and talk with us about the diesels, how they work and how we benifit.

I wouldn't be surprised with the issues this past week with gas prices if we saw quite a bit of general public showing up and multiple media coverage while at the event. Just remember, the folks you are talking with while at the event may be future TDI owners. Spread the word.

See you at the Fest!
Jeff

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
Matt M should have his WVO setup at the Fest. So we should have atleast one we can display. Perhaps we should have Matt park his car near the Town Hall for that purpose?

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
I agree! Matt...you up to it? Bring lots of water to wet your throat from talking so much! Could be a long day....