Preferred fuel filter brand???

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Hello all,
So I'm dealin with a bit of dirty fuel and might go through a couple filters in quick succession. What is THE BEST/PREFFERED fuel filter element for our TDI's? As it turns out DIRTY FUEL is MY hard start issue.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Also, do the JSW's have 2 FILTER'S??? An element up front and a smaller line in/line out metal canister filter on the firewall side?

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
My preference is mann and as far as I know the filter by the windshield washer reservoir is the only one for the diesel. The dsg filter is back near the firewall on the drivers side down by the battery.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
My preference is mann and as far as I know the filter by the windshield washer reservoir is the only one for the diesel. The dsg filter is back near the firewall on the drivers side down by the battery.
Ok, that kinda makes sense. Ive seen another metal canister filter listed for our cars in about that spot

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Let's hope there is no water in your fuel. Wouldn't it be best to get the dirty fuel suctioned out? Our fuel pumps are not famous for tolerating sub par diesel.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
mann
mahle
hengst
OE VW
wix

in no particular order
That's my preferred list, with OEM at the top and any of the others about equal. Aside from WIX, no experience with those (although no reason to doubt them).

Also, I second @Diesl 's suggestion to drain the tank and try again. Cheap insurance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I prefer to use whomever supplied it OEM for that application. For 1Z, AHU, ALH, BEW, and BHW cars, it is Bosch. For the canister type filters with the replaceable elements, the BRM, CBEA Volkswagens, and CJAA cars it is Mann (but there are two different versions). Some of the later CJAA cars, some of the CBEA Audis (A3), most of the CKRA cars, and I think pretty much all the 2015 cars, UFI is the supplier. The canister will say right on the side of it. Mann, Mahle, and Hengst elements fit in the UFI canister perfectly fine. UFI elements are not widely available outside the dealer. Wix doesn't make filters for Volkswagens, they just rebox someone else's. Sometimes they are good, sometimes not. Bosch replacement elements for the Mann canisters are usually Mann filters reprinted and put in a Bosch box. Don't think I have ever seen a Bosch boxed element for the UFI ones.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Ok, well....I went to the dealer and paid the $40 for the Mann🙄. I'll get them from FCP Euro next time for...$20.50. That seemed to correct it and I also went back to the Shell station I HAD been fueling at. It SEEMED to correct the problem...but it came back yesterday. I put another filter in today and filled back up. I'm not certain if it's happening ONLY when the tank is down around a 1/4 or less...not sure. I have a picture of the filter..How to I add it to this post? Also the fuel pump just above the filter at the passenger side of the engine seems "buzzy" to my ear. It has about 50K on it after the HPFP debacle got me. Do those pumps have a short-ish life span? They aren't very expensive, about $160

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
That's both sides.It's about the same "appearance" of dirty at 1500 miles as the previous one was at 15K. I can't really determine if this is bad or average.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
My only bad experience with fuel was from a Shell station, back when I still had a gasoline car. They sold me a water/gasoline mixture, and refused to cover the towing and repair cost. Haven't been back to that station in 20 years, and I drove by every day.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
For the canister type filters with the replaceable elements, the BRM, CBEA Volkswagens, and CJAA cars it is Mann (but there are two different versions). Some of the later CJAA cars, some of the CBEA Audis (A3), most of the CKRA cars, and I think pretty much all the 2015 cars, UFI is the supplier. The canister will say right on the side of it.
What's this about two different versions of the Mann filter?

Do you have any specific part numbers that we should pay attention to?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Mann element numbers are PU936/1x and /2x. Same as the BRM cars and they could have either although most all the CBEA and CJAA Volkswagens use the /1x. They are completely different looking and are not interchangeable.