Pre-oiler for timing chain tensioners

TIG

TDI
Mk4 ALH with 615K kms, 2011 Touareg TDI 115K kms
Have any of you guys considered adding a pre-oiler to your 3.0TDI vehicles to pre-charge the engine with oil pressure, thereby tensioning the chains and preventing the startup rattle and associated damage from ever occuring?

Accusump makes some, but there are several brands.

I was thinking that it would be very easy to add one of these with a 12V solenoid hooked into the glow circuit, precharging the engine with oil pressure while the "wait to start" light is on. This also adds some reserve capacity to the oil system.

Chain stretch would always be an issue, but it seems the majority of issues I hear about are due to tensioner bleed-down and damage due to chain slack. If everything is tight, the chance of damage is minimized.

The B6/B7 S4 guys use these accumulators to great effect.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
3.0 TDI engines have timing chains?? :confused:

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Have any of you guys considered adding a pre-oiler to your 3.0TDI vehicles to pre-charge the engine with oil pressure, thereby tensioning the chains and preventing the startup rattle and associated damage from ever occuring?

Accusump makes some, but there are several brands.

I was thinking that it would be very easy to add one of these with a 12V solenoid hooked into the glow circuit, precharging the engine with oil pressure while the "wait to start" light is on. This also adds some reserve capacity to the oil system.

Chain stretch would always be an issue, but it seems the majority of issues I hear about are due to tensioner bleed-down and damage due to chain slack. If everything is tight, the chance of damage is minimized.

The B6/B7 S4 guys use these accumulators to great effect.
Do you have a link to purchase this ?

kevingrall1

TDI
2005 BEW Golf, 2013 Touareg TDI
I know this thread has sat quiet for 3 years but I’m curious to this as well. My 2013 sometimes makes the chain rattle at start-up and I would love to prolong the life of the chains.

an7mal

TDI
1999 Jetta
I think an accumulator/pre-oiler would be a great solution for timing tensioner issues on startup and greatly prolong tensioner, cam, and valvetrain life.

Most of them are manual (see oil accumulator on jegs or summit), but the ones with a solenoid valve are what you need for an automatic preoiler.

See this article: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/...ccusump-oil-accumulators-how-do-they-work-281

This is the one usually recommended, but you have to buy all the pieces and it's expensive:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Touareg_1--V8/Engine/Performance/Oiling_System/

Low cost, all in one solution (probably going to try this on my touareg which has occasional startup rattle issues):
https://f-o-a.com/shop/foa-oil-accumulator/