Pre-Fliter for "Algae" Removal from Fuel?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The gold standard would be tank removal and steam cleaning by a professional steam cleaning service... which is what most people probably mean when they say "I cleaned the tank" or "had the tank cleaned".

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The fuel pickup vessel had to be removed to see inside of the fuel tank. Draining the fuel (and I assume gunk) from the sender seems to have solved my issue, at least temporarily, as the car hasn't shut off once in 90 miles of city driving since then. I do plan to clean the tank after running this tank down a bit. In the meantime, I'm searching for a tank cleaning procedure that I can perform from the top porthole with the tank remaining on the vehicle.
Did you also change the fuel filter at the same time? My bet is there's a nice bit of gunk in there.

Also, treat the next 5-7 tanks fuel with Diesel biocide!

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
The clear prefilters 80s Mercedes use fit perfect on a Mk4:
IDParts sells them and so do lots of other vendors.
-J
Thanks. I found a Purolator F50153 inline prefilter for 1983 mercedes at the local auto parts store. Sized perfectly for the hose.

Untitled by Larry Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
are you worried about the cracking in the fuel hose?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thanks. I found a Purolator F50153 inline prefilter for 1983 mercedes at the local auto parts store. Sized perfectly for the hose.

Complete waste of time. Just get ALL of the fuel out and thorouly clean the tank. If you leave in any of the contaminated fuel your problem will just return. I really like the idea of removing the tank and having it steam cleaned.

Sure, you put some fresh fuel in, but now that fuel is contaminated with algae.

Last edited:

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
The fuel pickup vessel had to be removed to see inside of the fuel tank. Draining the fuel (and I assume gunk) from the sender seems to have solved my issue, at least temporarily, as the car hasn't shut off once in 90 miles of city driving since then. I do plan to clean the tank after running this tank down a bit. In the meantime, I'm searching for a tank cleaning procedure that I can perform from the top porthole with the tank remaining on the vehicle.
Complete waste of time. Just get ALL of the fuel out and thorouly clean the tank. If you leave in any of the contaminated fuel your problem will just return. I really like the idea of removing the tank and having it steam cleaned.

Sure, you put some fresh fuel in, but now that fuel is contaminated with algae.
Mybe you should read the entire thread before spouting off at the mouth. I made it easy for you, just read my quote above.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Is it wrong to hope his IP takes a dump while he is still running the algae laden fuel?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Mybe you should read the entire thread before spouting off at the mouth. I made it easy for you, just read my quote above.
Easy man! Folks are just trying to help you out :cool:

You might be able to get the tank steam cleaned with it still in the car. It might not be quite as through as if you removed it, however it may do the trick if you also treat the next few tanks of fuel with biocide.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Is it wrong to hope his IP takes a dump while he is still running the algae laden fuel?
Yes. Just because we drive German cars doesn't mean we need to practice schadenfreude. ;)

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.

You can also get the "official" MB angle filter at any MB dealer. it's for the 123 series diesels. (1977-85 240D, 300D)