power windows! Ugh!

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
:mad: Well, I've read about them on and on and on and now... my rear passenger side window refuses to go up and it is RAINING! I just had to vent. Sorry... :eek:

Do I need to buy a new motor?

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
What position is it stuck in? Which way were you trying to go when it got stuck? Do you hear any sound when you try to go up or down?

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
This problem may be covered by a recall at the dealer. I know the front windows are covered for 7 years.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
It is stuck at 2/5 way down, meaning 2/5 is open and 3/5 closed. It goes down but not up. I was trying to close it when it got stuck and I didn't realize what was happening and thought I pushed the switch the wrong way so I opened it even more. Now, it is just stuck and I am not going to try to see if it goes down anymore. I will have to check for the recall. Somehow I think it won't cover with my luck these days.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It may not help but I have read about rolling them all the way down then back up resets them (pinch protection). Try this on the way to the dealer and if it works go home. :)

n171cd

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
I have had the passenger rear window get stuck in the up position once, the front passenger window twice in the up position and the drivers side front window stuck in the up position once as well. Both front windows got stuck at the same time at 56k miles and they were covered. The first time they went the car was under warranty.

In all cases the motor was fine, just some lousy clips that keep coming off.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
I just called the dealership and they said that since the car is out of warranty, they can't gaurantee that it falls under the "clip" problem that's cover by the extended 7 years. I will have to bring the car in for them to check if it is indeed the clip and if not, I would have to pay them 2 hours of labor @ $98/hour. Are you kidding me, if it's not the clip then I will have to pay them $196 just for the "diagonosis" and nothing will be fixed!:eek: And the lady told me that I would have to make an appointment because they are very busy!?!

Jess

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Removing the door innards to get to the clips are not diffucult.
There is a howto on vortex I think.

Just off the top of my head...
The inside door handle has a plastic cover that pops off (use a flathead screwdriver and pry up on it from the fabric side). 2 large 3# phillips head screws, remove.
1# phillips head screw by the tweeter. Need to use a small screwdriver to access it.
3 T20 screws at the bottom of the door.
Now you can pry the inside door covering off and lift up. Roll the window down slightly, I'd say 2-3 inches. There are two rubber plugs that you can open up and access the window clips. Rolling the windows up and down will position the clips to where you can unscrew them. It will also give access to seeing the damn things. You may have to use a small mirror on a stick and a flashlight to see anything, because to remove the next part you have to remove the lock and window, and if the window clips are broken that might be hard to do (can you get somebody to lift the window up while you try to roll it up?).

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Mad_Dasher said:
This problem may be covered by a recall at the dealer. I know the front windows are covered for 7 years.
From what I understand, only the front window regulator clips are covered under the 7 year warranty extension.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I usually pull up on the window while using the up position on the window switch... that'll work in a pinch.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The clips are not expensive. I'm sure you can get it fixed by a fellow TDI'er for a very reasonable price. Dealers... ugh. I can't think of one thing I would go to the dealer for that I can't either fix myself or get fixed by one of the brethren here.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Picture...Jessica's pliable cartoon body stretch across her car, the toe on her left cartoon foot activating the "up" switch while both her cartoon hands give the window a manual assist to get it up...

PLLLLLLLLLlllleeeeeAAAaaase.....take some pictures...