Power window repair

Sonia's_Driver

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Yesterday I was driving to work and I needed to lower the window. I hit the auto down button for the driver's side, and I heard a crunch and the window motor working, but the window did not go down.

On the drive home, about 10 minutes into the drive, I hit a mild bump, and the window slammed all the way down. It was a very cold drive the rest of the way.

So, last night, I removed the door card, and managed to get the inside door panel off enough to remove with window from inside of the door. I managed to get everything reinstalled correctly.

Here is my question:
Do you think that the bolts that tighten the window clamps simply came loose, or do you think that the window was frozen shut so thoroughly that the clamps simply ripped off of the window? In the past, when the window was frozen shut, the motor would visibly and audibly struggle with the window, but it would remain frozen shut. Also, the freezing was usually obvious. This time, it was not apparently frozen.

Second part: do you think my fix will be lasting? Should I modify the window clamps somehow? Should I use some sort of treatment on the window seals? I have a bottle of Einszett brand Gummi Pflege Stift, but have never used it before - do you think that will do the trick?

Thanks for your advice.
Sonia's Driver

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"or do you think that the window was frozen shut so thoroughly that the clamps simply ripped off of the window?"

I think that is what happened. Maybe whatever clamps the glasss (rubber?) shrunk over time, loosening its grip.

I do not have any experience with this repair, so I can't give guidance.

--Nate

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
SD:

I think you had the "frozen window syndrome". Last winter my Wife experienced a window drop. Shortly after starting the car she tried to roll down the window and it didn't move, but later on after the car warmed up the window thawed and dropped inside the door. When I disassembled the door the window had pulled out of the clamps that hold it to the raise/lower mechanism. I reassembled the window and the door and everything is fine. However, when the weather is cold we avoid rolling the windows down if they appear to be frozen to the frame.

Some people have stated that they (and VW) use some sort of adhesive to glue the window into the clamps to help prevent this "syndrome" from recurring. That may be the cure, but my question is how do you ever disassemble the door again after the windows are glued to the clamps? IIRC in order to remove the inner door panel you have to release the window glass first. Certainly gluing the window to the clamps will make that a difficult if not impossible task.

Dan

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Were the window clips plastic or metal? I don't know off the top of my head if 2004 MKIVs had the metal clips or not. If yours were plastic, you may want to update before the plastic shatters.

I had my passenger side window crash on me...

Check this photo to compare what was in your door:

Realize this is a bit of an aside from what you're asking, but having to replace the cables when a window has dropped...not too fun. Swapping just the clips is a bit easier.

Sonia's_Driver

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm almost certain that they're the new ones.

I didn't look that closely at the time, but now I'm wondering if the bit that actually touches the glass is plastic or rubber. Perhaps that needs some conditioning? Could that be why it lost its grip?

Thanks, BobnOH - I'll probably do that. I need to take the window out anyway because the tint was gouged when the window dropped and I need to have it retinted. I'll use locktite during the reinstall.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
SD:

I'm almost positive the part that actually grabs the window is rubber. If you look at the image that was posted by 'napalm the clips are oriented in the correct direction, ie up is up and the black part at the top is the rubber part of the clamp that grabs the window. When VW redesigned the clips the part that rides in the channel for the window track was the piece that was changed from plastic to metal, and not the clamp part. Granted, the old style had stamped metal clamps and the new ones are cast metal. Either way, you can see that by comparing the right hand portion on each of the parts pictured. Bob's suggestion to use locktite on the clamp bolts is a good one, just don't use the permanent type locktite or you may end up in the same situation as glueing the windows to the clamps.

Dan

Last edited:

JetWag03

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Baltic Green
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I attempted to roll down my driver side window when it was frozen shut, and it popped out of the clamps. The window motor was running, but the window did not move down.

In my case, I ran the window motor back up, hoping it would hold the window in place until I had a chance to research and make the repair. Fortunately, that strategy worked, and my window did not fall into the door. It rattled a little, but did not drop.

I finally got the time to do the repair today. It really wasn't terribly difficult, and took me about 45 minutes.

I think that, over time, the grippers take a 'set' as virtually all rubber/TPE/TEO products do, and lose their grip on the glass. Under the added stress of trying to pull down a frozen window, they simply slip off the glass. Tightening the screws to a firm but not crazy torque, as I did, should keep the glass in place for a long time, as long as I'm careful to not try to lower a frozen window again. I don't want to try using any adhesives. Time will tell.

ryk1998

TDI
2004 jetta
Vancouver BC

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I attempted to roll down my driver side window when it was frozen shut, and it popped out of the clamps. The window motor was running, but the window did not move down.

In my case, I ran the window motor back up, hoping it would hold the window in place until I had a chance to research and make the repair. Fortunately, that strategy worked, and my window did not fall into the door. It rattled a little, but did not drop.

I finally got the time to do the repair today. It really wasn't terribly difficult, and took me about 45 minutes.

I think that, over time, the grippers take a 'set' as virtually all rubber/TPE/TEO products do, and lose their grip on the glass. Under the added stress of trying to pull down a frozen window, they simply slip off the glass. Tightening the screws to a firm but not crazy torque, as I did, should keep the glass in place for a long time, as long as I'm careful to not try to lower a frozen window again. I don't want to try using any adhesives. Time will tell.

Vancouver BC Canada
cold weather, roll down window etc etc...window drop
contacted VW Canada was told they had extended TSB for a further 2 years total 7
Clarkdale repaired and replaced window that apparently scratched on its way down
no charge