Power Steering Rack Replacement

cvongruenigen

TDI
2005 Jetta
Before I start, I'm a long time lurker lol and yes I have used the search. A lot of good info on this site!
I have 2005 TDI Jetta Auto car with ~200K miles. My power steering has developed the notorious leaky rack. My plan was to order one from Idparts.com. My question is I planned to go ahead and do some PM work while I'm in there. I planned to replace both power steering lines along with the rack. Does anyone have any recommendations for other things to replace? Bushings? Tie rods? Ball Joints?
Also do I need anything else other then just ordering the rack when replacing it? Should I spring for the new bolts to?
Thanks.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would replace tie rods and bushings to the rack. And possibly the bushings to the subframe. Bolts might be good to have, see how Rusty they are.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

cvongruenigen

TDI
2005 Jetta
I would replace tie rods and bushings to the rack. And possibly the bushings to the subframe. Bolts might be good to have, see how Rusty they are.

Thanks for the response! Just looking to gather as much info as possible before I tare into this. Where do most people get their bushings from? IDparts?

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Any of the reputable vendors metalmanparts.com, idparts, tune my euro, cascadegerman, kermatdi, etc. I like fcpeuro, and ecstuning as well.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Main bolts are one time use. Hydraulic lines will last forever unless abused (friction, fluid spillage). Clean them up, see if they don't look pristine.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
The sway bar bushings are also a lot easier to replace with the rack out. I did those while I had my rack out and it was super easy.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Before you order complete tie rod assemblies, check what comes with the new rack. I just replaced a failed/leaking rack on my Audi TT -> TDI conversion and the new rack came with inner tie rods. I only had to purchase the outer tie rod ends along with new banjo bolt washers (for the power steering lines) and the subframe bolts.

I too would replace the swaybar bushings when you have the rack lowered.

Eric

cvongruenigen

TDI
2005 Jetta
Any of the reputable vendors metalmanparts.com, idparts, tune my euro, cascadegerman, kermatdi, etc. I like fcpeuro, and ecstuning as well.

Time to start ordering parts! Thank you for your time and help.

cvongruenigen

TDI
2005 Jetta
The sway bar bushings are also a lot easier to replace with the rack out. I did those while I had my rack out and it was super easy.
I will defiantly add that to my to do list while the rack is out and get those ordered too. Thanks.

Before you order complete tie rod assemblies, check what comes with the new rack. I just replaced a failed/leaking rack on my Audi TT -> TDI conversion and the new rack came with inner tie rods. I only had to purchase the outer tie rod ends along with new banjo bolt washers (for the power steering lines) and the subframe bolts.

I too would replace the swaybar bushings when you have the rack lowered.

Eric
Appreciate that information. I'll check that before ordering. Thanks.
Also do you have a build page or anything on your Audi TT? I'd like to check that out.

As mentioned in a prior post.
The four (4) rack mounting bolts ...replace them.
I'll get them ordered with the rack. Thanks! Get all this taken care of then maybe I can get in touch with you on a tune.

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
FWIW, I've been running without power steering for at least a couple of years on my '02 with no ill effects other than stronger arms. I've bypassed the pump with a shorter belt that only turns the alternator and tensioner (a/c seems to be not working now too). I didn't think I'd keep the car long enough to bother replacing the rack yet here I am.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
"Originally Posted by Herm TDI View Post
As mentioned in a prior post.
The four (4) rack mounting bolts ...replace them.
I'll get them ordered with the rack. Thanks! Get all this taken care of then maybe I can get in touch with you on a tune."

-Smart advice! I didn't have them on hand when doing rack bushing (singular on the 2004 Jetta PS rack...), and one snapped! I had to bolt everything back up, wait till the dealer got the bolts in two days later, and THEN do my PS each bushing,

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Here's the thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=388759

The Continental part number is 4060380 for the 38" belt but as I said in that thread a 39" belt would probably work better. 39" part number is 4060390. I got mine from Rockauto but you could probably get it locally using those part numbers to find an equivalent from another manufacturer in a pinch.

Gates belt part number K060295 if you're bypassing ac compressor AND the power steering.

Looks like it's been over 3.5 years without power steering for me.

cvongruenigen

TDI
2005 Jetta
FWIW, I've been running without power steering for at least a couple of years on my '02 with no ill effects other than stronger arms. I've bypassed the pump with a shorter belt that only turns the alternator and tensioner (a/c seems to be not working now too). I didn't think I'd keep the car long enough to bother replacing the rack yet here I am.
Yeah that's always a option and would defiantly work if someone was in a tight spot. My OCD just won't let me do it though lol .

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Yeah that's always a option and would defiantly work if someone was in a tight spot. My OCD just won't let me do it though lol .
I get what you're saying. I do all my own work but rack replacement is a ****ty job. Did one on my wife's '02 Altima with a junkyard rack (twice as much work) and on a rust-belt car with limited life I wouldn't bother doing it again but here I am 3+ years after the fact. These VW's certainly seem to last longer than I used to.

cvongruenigen

TDI
2005 Jetta
I get what you're saying. I do all my own work but rack replacement is a ****ty job. Did one on my wife's '02 Altima with a junkyard rack (twice as much work) and on a rust-belt car with limited life I wouldn't bother doing it again but here I am 3+ years after the fact. These VW's certainly seem to last longer than I used to.
Yeah I heard its not to much fun lol. Everyone I've talked to is trying to get me to take it somewhere and not mess with it. An I say my OCD won't let me do that but who knows I might attempt this and be getting in contract with you about that belt size a week from now haha.