Power steering fluid level check

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Reservoir by the battery. You've never checked, added or flushed your fluid since 2000?

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've never flushed PS fluid, is there a scheduled flush time? Never seen it.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Jack the front of the car up so the wheels are off the ground.

Remove the upper clamp for the PS reservoir and tilt it up out of the way. You may need to remove the battery for more clearance.

Remove the return hose going to the reservoir and plug it with a cork or stopper. Let this hose hang down into a 5 gallon bucket.

Fill the reservoir with new fluid (the old would have drained out when you removed the inlet hose).

Remove the PS belt.

Rotate the PS pump by hand* to get new fluid through the pump. You'll know when you see it going into the bucket.

(* if you start the car and try to do this you'll shower everything with PS fluid. The pump moves a LOT of fluid and the reservoir may run dry).

Actuate the steering wheel back and forth to purge the rack. If you can, rotate the pump while doing this.

Once new fluid is seen, reconnect everything and top off at the proper level.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It'll take a quart to refill the system and there's a specific VW / Audi PS fluid.

Steve

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Note you can get the proper fluid really cheaply from Fibi these days. Even carquest has it for like $16 a bottle.

-J

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you're flushing the system out I'd get 2 quarts. If nothing else you'll have some on hand.

-J
If that's a quart per car then yes, if that's two quarts per car that's excessive. The capacity for the system is listed in Bentley as being .74-.95 US quarts.

I think replacing the fluid is a good idea, but since I had never read that there was a replacement schedule for this I checked and there isn't one.

My personal preference in situations like this where the manufacturer says to just check the level, is to replace every 100k miles, otherwise I'm just spending money on something unnecessarily.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I think replacing the fluid is a good idea, but since I had never read that there was a replacement schedule for this I checked and there isn't one.

Is that like VW's lifetime auto transmission fluid? I wonder if there was actually a service schedule, if VW's automatic transmissions wouldn't have such a bad reputation.

-Todd

Realityman

TDI
2004 Golf
Quick question: when checking the steering fluid level do you unscrew the top, wipe off the stick and then screw it all the way back in or just place the dipstick in without screwing it in? I ask because on most motorcycles you do not screw the dipstick back in.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
The level should be checked after screwing the cap back on.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Either way you check the level won’t make a difference since it’s a reservoir. The fluid moves through there at a fast rate so a little more won’t hurt. I never screwed the top back on and just dipped it, never an issue.