Power Service for fuel filter priming, running unfiltered?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
In the past (i.e. for ALH engines), it was often recommended to prime a new fuel filter with Diesel Purge to clean the injector easily. Then it was pointed out that the quick fuel return and dilution would mean this was not much better than putting it in the tank, so just use Power Service (or fuel if you feel like going to some trouble to save a buck).

Now, regarding CR engines, I've read:
-the fuel filter clean/dirty sides have switched, so you'd have to be very careful to only put the fuel on the correct side to prime it
-Diesel Purge etc. may be too harsh for CR engines

I've always primed my ALH fuel filters with PS for ease of use, and I run our '12 NMS TDI with white PS.

Is Diesel Purge really not a good idea for these CR engines?

What about running (momentarily) on pure PS? Can the engine handle it, and can the PS handle the pressure/temperature?

Furthermore, regarding the which-side-of-the-filter issue, am I correct in assuming that with PS from the bottle, I am indeed successfully sidestepping filtration, and I can just pour it into the filter housing and let the filter soak it up as it sinks in?

Bonus fuel gelling story: After several years of never a gel problem in Maine and Massachusetts, we're in North Alabama, where it does go far enough below freezing on enough days every winter that you'd think the fuel would be winterized.
One evening, I fill it up, add the white PS miles later at home, and forget to run it any to get PS back into the filter...
The next morning, after a not insanely cold night, no start. I remembered what I did the night before, but was a bit surprised that it could have gelled that badly. However, now reading what PS people say about water in the fuel, it may well just have been icing.
I remembered the horror stories of hours in a warm garage, or tows to a shop, but I just warmed the injector lines with a hairdryer for a minute or two, and it started easily enough.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wouldn't do it - just prime the system with the VCDS priming procedure.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I wouldn't do it - just prime the system with the VCDS priming procedure.
What's that?

I just let the pump cycle for numerous KOKO cycles last time I changed the fuel filter. No problems.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
psd1: Does your 2013 fuel pump run with a key cycle? My 2012 didn't, nor does my 2009. It must depend on the model year?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
2012s do not run the pump when you cycle the key, so my recommendation is to do it with VCDS.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I filled my ff at my 40 k service and it worked fine. With the amount of fuell in the rail and the way it recirculates I really doubt your getting anything close to pure powerservice in the pump/engine. That said I prefer to use diesel. I just didn't have any left and the filter was already out.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I discussed nearly 2 years ago... here's the skinny... remove the old filter, visually inspect the fuel inside the canister. If there is no water or sediment, replace the filter. If not, clean and then pour in fresh fuel or PowerService; proceed with the new filter installation.

Other than that, people will debate about using VCDS vs. not using it. I've never used it, nor can I afford the price. I've never had a problem doing this to the 4+ diesels I've owned. I have 75 going on 76K miles on my Passat TDI and it has NEVER stumbled due to air in the fuel lines, fueling, or fuel filter related issues.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
psd1: Does your 2013 fuel pump run with a key cycle? My 2012 didn't, nor does my 2009. It must depend on the model year?
When I did the 40K mile service I pulled the filter, inspected and cleaned the bowl and replaced with a new filter. I didn't add any fuel in the filter. I turned the key on/key off three times and tried to start. It started and died. I cycled the key on/key off about 10 times and it started right up.

Next time I will add fuel to the filter.

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
Getting ready to do the 40K service on my 2012. I don't have a VCDS and don't plan on buying one. Will soak the new filter, reassemble and start her up.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
What micron is the filter anyway? Mine didn't look nearly as robust as the HPFP requires?