Power Seats and Memory Mirrors

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Last weekend I installed a set of power seats from an '03 GLX in my '03 TDI, as per the great writeup in this thread. I didn't bother with connecting the reverse sense wire, nor the mirror wires, only the power, ground and CAN-Bus connections. The seats work perfectly and I was able to program the memory positions to work with different keyfobs.

Last night, I happened to press one of the memory buttons that I hadn't programmed, so it still contained the memory settings from the donor vehicle. As the seat was moving to its predetermined position, I heard another noise, looked out the window, and saw the mirrors moving to a new position. According to the info in this thread, as well as several others, the mirrors need to be replaced in order to use the memory feature. Based on my observation, this may not be the case.

I am currently not able to "memorize" any mirror positions other than those stored already in the control module, but that seems reasonable as none of the mirror wires are connected to the control module. Based on my mirrors' ability to move to the memorized setting in the control module, it would seem that the mirror wiring needs to be in place in order for the control module to "memorize" the position, but CAN-Bus is the only connection required to move the mirrors to the predetermined position.

I know several members have installed the power folding mirrors, but I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck wtih memory seats and stock mirrors?

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Very cool, Tom. Those seats look/work great. Good luck with the mirrors.
Thom also programmed my Golf to operate the windows via the remote, for which I offer a hearty 'Thanks' (anybody want to buy a NIB AlienTech?) and supervised a couple of brake-fluid flushes, and was his usual helpful self.
(I'm not much of a mechanic, and require adult supervision.)
Thank you, Sir.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
Memory Seat

Thom,

I have a 03 Jetta GLS with a 5-Speed and I only wired in the drivers seat, the GLX donor car had been T-Boned on the passenger side and it's air bags went off and the junk yard crushed it with the car, but I did get the drivers seat. My mirrors have never moved :(, but I do have the passenger side mirror that does have the memory feature, but I have never installed it :confused: , and it is sitting in the box that I got it in. If you or any one else wants it just let me know, I am willing to sell it. ;)

Gordie

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
When I installed my memory Recaros I ran the wires for everything but still have the regular GLS sideview mirrors.

I also noticed that the right side mirror would sometimes do "interesting" things, (move on its own), when using the memory presets but have never figured out the rhyme or reason.

I have never been able to get them to move to the correct positions once the seats are set to a button. :(

rakusak

TDI
2008 Mini D one
Did the car already have power for the seats, or did you install that with the seat change. I currently have power seats but not how to wire them up. I used to only have manual seats in an 05 jetta.
thanks-

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
You do have to replace the mirrors to get the memory function to "really" work. What you are seeing is the remaining memory position that was saved in the memory seat module. The mirrors that came with your car do not have the digital position sensors, so they will not save thei position.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
rakusak - You'll need to run additional wires for the power, etc. There are a couple of good threads here with all the instructions you'll need. It's an easy install.

SVTWEB - Yep, I did some further testing and came to the same conclusion; the stored memory position gave me false hope.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Thom said:
rakusak - You'll need to run additional wires for the power, etc. There are a couple of good threads here with all the instructions you'll need. It's an easy install.

SVTWEB - Yep, I did some further testing and came to the same conclusion; the stored memory position gave me false hope.
SVTWEB said:
You do have to replace the mirrors to get the memory function to "really" work. What you are seeing is the remaining memory position that was saved in the memory seat module. The mirrors that came with your car do not have the digital position sensors, so they will not save thei position.
Eric is right. You need memory mirrors for the memory to be stored. You can tell if you have memory mirrors because they will have wires in the 9, 10, 11 & 12 positions of the mirror wiring plug.

Now... Once you have the correct memory mirrors here is how they are wired: (btw The repair wires you need are 000 979 131 and you have to add about 3 inches in the middle of a repair wire for them to reach to the A-pillar connector and the Memory Seat Control Module is found under the drivers seat. Passenger side does not have, (nor need), a Memory Seat Control Module.)

From Seat to Mirrors:

Drivers Side

T28/4 (yellow/white in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/10 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/9 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/9 (yellow/white in mirror connector) to T8e/1.

T28/6 (red/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/4 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/3 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/11 (red/green in mirror connector) to T8e/7.

T28/3 (yellow/lilac in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/3 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/7 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/10 (yellow/lilac in mirror connector) to T8e/5.

T28/21 (brown/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/5 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/10 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/12 (brown/green in mirror connector) to T8e/3.

Passengers Side

T28/2 (green/white in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/6 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/9 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/9 (green/white in mirror connector).

T28/5 (green/lilac in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/7 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/7 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/10 (green/lilac in mirror connector)

T28/6 (red/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/4 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/3 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/11 (red/green in mirror connector)

T28/21 (brown/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/5 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/10 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/12 (brown/green in mirror connector)

I hadn't posted this before because I hadn't finished installing mine. I wanted to make sure that Bentley was right with the wire designations. :D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Eric is right. You need memory mirrors for the memory to be stored. You can tell if you have memory mirrors because they will have wires in the 9, 10, 11 & 12 positions of the mirror wiring plug.

Now... Once you have the correct memory mirrors here is how they are wired: (btw The repair wires you need are 000 979 131 and you have to add about 3 inches in the middle of a repair wire for them to reach to the A-pillar connector and the Memory Seat Control Module is found under the drivers seat. Passenger side does not have, (nor need), a Memory Seat Control Module.)

From Seat to Mirrors:

Drivers Side

T28/4 (yellow/white in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/10 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/9 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/9 (yellow/white in mirror connector) to T8e/1.

T28/6 (red/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/4 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/3 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/11 (red/green in mirror connector) to T8e/7.

T28/3 (yellow/lilac in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/3 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/7 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/10 (yellow/lilac in mirror connector) to T8e/5.

T28/21 (brown/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/5 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10q/10 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12/12 (brown/green in mirror connector) to T8e/3.

Passengers Side

T28/2 (green/white in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/6 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/9 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/9 (green/white in mirror connector).

T28/5 (green/lilac in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/7 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/7 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/10 (green/lilac in mirror connector)

T28/6 (red/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/4 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/3 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/11 (red/green in mirror connector)

T28/21 (brown/grey in Memory Seat Control Module 28 Pin Connector) to T10u/5 (Brown 10 Pin Connector under seat) to T10r/10 (Blue 10 Pin Connector in lower A-pillar) to T12a/12 (brown/green in mirror connector)

I hadn't posted this before because I hadn't finished installing mine. I wanted to make sure that Bentley was right with the wire designations. :D
You have it copied down exactly correct OR but Bentley has an error in these wiring diagrams.

The bolded Red portion is the part in error. ON the T10u connector, pins 9 and 10 are occupied by the hi/lo CAN bus wires. Going through the process of elimination all the pins are being used EXCEPT pin #2. I believe this is the correct pin to use, being that you have yours working did you find this to be true?

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hmmm... I'd been talking to a buddy about this mod. He told me that you could install the control module for the memory seats & have everything wired but the actual seats , and one would end up with the mirror dip on reverse. I currently have the power-folding mirrors on my 20th, but don't recall if they had the extra bits for the memory. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd also like to see about contracting Thom to do the window mod to my CCM. Mine has the KVW100 virus, but I picked up a spare that has not been so blessed. Another tweak I'd like to see about is the DWA mod. Have a siren & the wiring, just need the 'switches' flipped.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You'd still need the buttons from the seat to capture the positions of your mirrors. I had to initialize my memory module - I wonder how one would do this without a seat?

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Just over a year later & I'm finally back. I managed to get my module from a buddy (p/n 3B1-959-760-D, s/s to an E) & found a partial pin-out for the module here. Past this, I'm still looking for the wiring info. As to the programming; he has a simple push-button switch under the dash to 'set' the memory on the mirror. Not sure what pins he has it wired up to though. Anyone want to pipe in with what I'm missing here? Please...:rolleyes:

Red 6 pin Connector to module:

Pin Color Reason
3 - Red/Blu +12v 30a connector under Fuse Panel
4 - Brown Ground connection at Left of Steering Column
5 - Blk/Blu Fuse Position 1 (10amp)

Brown 10 pin Connector to module:

Pin Color Reason
2 - Yel/Wht Pin 9 @ blue connector @ DR A Pillar
3 - Yel/Pur Pin 7 @ blue connector @ DR A Pillar
4 - Red/Gry Pin 3 @ blue connector @ PAS A Pillar
5 - Br/Gry Pin 10 @ blue connector @ PASS A Pillar
6 - Gry/Whi Pin 9 @ blue connector @ PASS A Pillar
7 - Gry Pur Pin 7 @ blue connector @ PASS A Pillar
8 - Blk/Red Reverse Switch Position (not sure polarity)
9 - Or/Gry K-Wire High side
10 - Or/Brn K-Wire Low side

Last edited: