power off switch

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Hi Y'all,
Sportwagen 2015 TDI S manual.
I seem to recall a thread about this a while back but I cant locate it.
The golf sportwagen has that stupid start/ engine/ stop button that kills everything when you depress it.

has someone successfully find a simple way to kill the engine power without losing power to the radio, or other accessories,...?
I would like to install a switch somewhere in the console to kill the engine only so I can keep the radio or my GPS on. If someone has already done such a modification, please let me know what and where wires should go to cut off power. Or any other recommendation, gotcha on that subject.
Thank you,

Bikebits

TDI
TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Hi Y'all,
Sportwagen 2015 TDI S manual.
I seem to recall a thread about this a while back but I cant locate it.
The golf sportwagen has that stupid start/ engine/ stop button that kills everything when you depress it.

has someone successfully find a simple way to kill the engine power without losing power to the radio, or other accessories,...?
I would like to install a switch somewhere in the console to kill the engine only so I can keep the radio or my GPS on. If someone has already done such a modification, please let me know what and where wires should go to cut off power. Or any other recommendation, gotcha on that subject.
Thank you,
If you press the power (left) button for the radio any time the ignition is off the radio will operate for about 20 minutes before shutting itself off. Worst case scenario here is you turn the ignition off and immediately press the radio "on" button and sound is interrupted for a couple of seconds.

The factory in-dash GPS will also work with the ignition off. To retain power for aftermarket accessories such as a GPS plugged into the power sockets, the fix is simple.

See thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4938157#post4938157

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Power off switch

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the feedback. I'll try that.
I am still interested on cutting off the engine alone if I can find a graceful way to do it.
Cheers.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
Hi Dave,
Thank you for the feedback. I'll try that.
I am still interested on cutting off the engine alone if I can find a graceful way to do it.
Cheers.
There is no simple way to do this. On old vehicles you could just cut power to the coil (gas) or kill fuel (diesel). All the "start/stop" switch on this vehicle does is act as a momentary signal that the ECU uses to make decisions. Shutting down a modern diesel has complexities that didn't exist with old models.

Unless they release a software update for the infotainment to allow it to stay on after you stop the engine, you will have to perform the arduous task of pushing the power button above the hvac controls. Difficult, I know, but I'm sure you'll get by.

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Interestingly my 2008 Audi A6 does just what you want. It has both a start and a stop button. You press the stop button once and the engine turns off but the accessories remain on and the steering wheel remains unlocked. You need to press it a second time to shut down everything else. The problem I run into is that my wife never presses the Audi button the second time (fortunately the car shuts down on its own after a few minutes) and I always press the Golf TDI start/stop button twice which results in restarting the engine.

Neither one is better, they are just different.

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Thank you Shife for the excellent advise. LOL.

However, I do like manyVAGs input. Curious on what the Ross Tech AutoScan listing would compare to mine? Perhaps, there is a way to obtain that two step stop with the right programming, even with the age difference?
Anyway I can get a copy of your vehicle setup?

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
The Audi has a start and a stop button so it is different than the single button on the VW.

What do you mean by "Can I get a copy of your vehicle setup"?

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
The MQB Audi A3 will also shut the engine off but allow for the radio to stay on until the door is opened. The MQB Golfs in the EU are the same from what I can recall.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
I didn't think about poking around in the coding. I'll have a look tomorrow.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've taken a glance in VCDS for a way to keep the head unit on during shutdown, but may not have looked long enough or in the right place. It's a very small thing to complain about, but it's rather annoying. It'd be great if bluetooth would remain functioning as well until a door is opened.

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Hi manyVAGS,
I was wondering if you could post the RossTech AutoScan for your wife's vehicle, so I can compare with mine. Perhaps, there is a way to modify a long code somewhere. I'll check Ross Tech webpage to see if they have a reference autoscan for an Audi A6 2008. thanks for the inputs.

And Bikebits, you are correct. the radio stay on if you depress it. My cigarette light socket however shuts off. But that is a step in the right direction.
Thank you,

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Hi manyVAGS,
I was wondering if you could post the RossTech AutoScan for your wife's vehicle, so I can compare with mine. Perhaps, there is a way to modify a long code somewhere. I'll check Ross Tech webpage to see if they have a reference autoscan for an Audi A6 2008. thanks for the inputs.

And Bikebits, you are correct. the radio stay on if you depress it. My cigarette light socket however shuts off. But that is a step in the right direction.
Thank you,
The lighter socket power can remain on if you fix this fuse. It is installed differently from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk