Power Mirror Question (A4 Golf)

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
OK, in my owners manual, it talks about some feature whereby if you adjust the left (drivers) side power mirror, the right side power mirror should adjust as well, meaning you shouldn't have to adjust the right side mirror. I have not been able to get the right side to adjust based on left side adjustments. Has anyone gotten this feature to work? Thanks,

- hoffer

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hoffer said:

it talks about some feature whereby if you adjust the left (drivers) side power mirror, the right side power mirror should adjust as well, meaning you shouldn't have to adjust the right side mirror. - hoffer
That would be a good trick. On the cars I have seen each mirror adjusts independently.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I think you are reading this wrong. That would assume that you would need the same adjustment on each side. Which is not true, for the mere fact that you are sitting closer to the drivers mirror than the passenger mirror. Therefore the angles of the mirror will be different.

JetWag03

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Baltic Green
I don't have my manual in front of me, but I seem to remember that this feature was available only on GLX's or some such.

BTW, I learned the hard way (although it is clearly written in the manual) that if you leave the switch in the middle position (pointing toward the defrost symbol) the mirror heaters are ALWAYS ON. Teach me to listen to my dealer...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JetWag03 said:...

that if you leave the switch in the middle position (pointing toward the defrost symbol) the mirror heaters are <font color="red"> ALWAYS ON </font> .
major BUMMER and a bad design.

The former GLX models had a synchronized mirror adjustment function. I don't know how useful that could be.

schnoopay

TDI
2000 Golf GLS
JetWag03 said:

BTW, I learned the hard way (although it is clearly written in the manual) that if you leave the switch in the middle position (pointing toward the defrost symbol) the mirror heaters are ALWAYS ON. Teach me to listen to my dealer...
So I take that to mean that the heater elements in the mirrors burn out or something? I never thought about them always being on being a big deal.

BTW, in addition to telling me that the mirrors only heat with the rear defogger on, my dealer told me the glow plugs start up when you open the door, and that i have to pay attention to the glow plug light even with the warm engine. Apparently he never realized that ALL the dask lights go on when you turn the key.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
The general consensus among the Passat owners over at clubb5.com was that the synchronized adjustment was a European only thing, it just made it into the Canadian/America market owners manuals by mistake.

The mirror heating elements do eventually burn out if they are left on too long. Just leave it in R/L if you do not need to heat them.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the heated mirrors burn out in no time at all when left switched on continuously.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Isn't it weird that the heated mirrors on my BMW are always on and it's supposed to be that way? I don't have many miles on it but they haven't burned out yet.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
but I seem to remember that this feature was available only on GLX's or some such.
I had friends with GLXs that described an auto adjustment of the passenger side mirror when the car is shifted into reverse: the mirror moved in and down so that one can see the curb when parallel parking...

As far as the heated mirrors go, our dealer, of all things, STRESSED that the mirror position adjuster be left OFF of the heater position unless needed.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
I will give my dealer credit for indeed stating that the mirrors should not be left in the on position. He also said that the cruise control would remain set between gear shifts. Umm, yeah, whatever...

The synchronized mirror movement would be neat. I rarely adjust mirrors once they are set just right. However, when someone shorter than myself gets in the car, they have to adjust the mirrors, and would likely adjust both sides about the same amount. In that case, the synchronized adjustment would be useful.

Thanks guys,

- hoffer