power loss/smoke

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
Yes I know the question has been asked 100 times, but unfortunately im stuck.

2002 Golf ~78k miles
RC2 chip, Sprint 520s, VR6 Clutch
just had a timing belt and clutch replaced by Jon Hamilton (rallywvw.com) at ~76.5k

Driving home from work yesterday everything was fine until get pull off off the exit ramp from the highway, notice the petal doesn't seem to do anything over ~2500 rpm, at this point there is no smoke. I was about 2 miles from home so I am thinking, great my MAF is failing I will get it home and do the limp test when I get there. About a mile later I get billowing white/grey smoke (hard to tell it was dark), but it was so much I couldn't see out my rear window. Eased off the petal and the smoke isn't billowing anymore, but its noticible. Pulled over the first chance I got, shut it down popped the hood, looked for anything noticible in the dark or anything other then the smoke, but nothing. Started back up, same problems, but made it home, just easy on the petal.
I seem to have the same symptoms as described here, complete with the whooshing noise
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=123720&highlight=no+power+smoke

Here is what I have tried so far:
  • checked the hose to and from the intercooler and then everything connect along the intercooler pipe and from what I can tell everything is connected ok. I pulled on the area right by the clamps and it definately seems to be in there good.
  • Checked the VNT rod for movement, I can push the rod manually without alot of pressure.
  • checked the vacuum hoses on the N75 valve
  • sucked on the vacuum line of the N75 valve to check pressure as I don't have a vacuum line test, how much pressure should this hold? there is suction there when I suck on the line, but I feel like it would take awhile for any real pressure to build up
  • replaced fuel filter, I am almost due anyway, and read it could be related to the fuel sensor shut off? Is there a test for this? I can't seem to find it.
Can anyone help shed some light on this? I don't have a VAG, but hope to get someone in the area to read for a code soon. I am in the cincinnati area, and already have the question on our list there, just looking for something I might be missing.

Thanks
-- tim

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
It does sound like something in the boost area came loose or split. I've read that the rubber hose going to the intercooler can split along the bend, and you can't see it unless you remove it. Then it's obvious.

You might be able to find the problem with the engine running by listening for the whistle of the air flow. Perhaps a piece of aquarium tubing might help if you use it like a stethoscope.

Good luck! I hope it's not anything serious.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
I have read that too, not sure why I didn't think to check it. But I just pulled it off, and although its slightly oily its very rigid and no tearing. I twisted it around pretty good to try to force a better look and nothing.

I have a stethoscope, you think if I just use it along the intercooler connections and all along the air flow I should hear a whistle of leaking air?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd try the stethoscope. Along anywhere there's a rubber tube or connection. Unless you were burning oil and not just loosing boost, something along the boost path or control system is not functioning.

Hopefully, someone who has an A4 and experience tracing these things down will jump in. My B4 experience may not be extremely helpful, since we don't have any vaccum in our turbo boost issues.