Power loss-no boost/noCEL/noSmoke

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
While on a road trip over the weekend, I noticed that the cruise would not hold speed going up hills. 'Hmmm' I thought.

Pertinent Info:
2001 Jetta 5-speed. 22k miles.
> changed air filter and fuel filter last weekend. I was also messing around in the area of the EGR and antishudder valves, removing the intake for inspection (oily but not blocked).

So, I whip out my laptop and plug it in to check Group 3 and Group 11.
> DTC for Boost control negative deviation.

No real suprise.

So I drive along looking at both MAF and MAP readings. Both the MAF actual and MAP desired were low, with the MAP being the worst. And I thought, 'hmmmm, chicken or the egg? Does a low MAF create a low MAP, or does a low MAP create a low MAF?'

I disconnected the MAF. No improvement, just another DTC.

> And then I noticed that the engine was shuddering on shutdown, like the valve was no longer working.

> and no smoke. Just no power.

So then I thought maybe I was loosing vacuum or accidently pulled a hose loose when fiddling around last week. Since it was raining all weekend I haven't had a chance to look under the hood.

Opinions welcome.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Check the hoses going to the N75 has happened before. Also on Vag-com go the engine hit output tests with engine running (to build vacuum) go through the tests till you hit the test for N75 ( note the engine shutoff is BEFORE this leave engine off at this point) hit test N75 and listen for pumping sound coming from the VNT till vacuum runs out. This should narrow it down a bit for you.