Power Inverter Installation

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
Im looking at putting a power inverter in my car, I want to be able to run my laptop, phone charger, camera charger, washer/dryer, 21cu ft chest freezer, mig/tig welder. ok mabey not those last couple but you get the idea

Where would be a good place to install it and would it be better if I had the outlets mounted where I want them as opposed to trying to shove the whole unit somewhere. I figure about 300-400 watts would be enough and does anyone recommend a specific brand for low heat output and clean power.

I have been kicking the idea around a lot and want to get moving on it.

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
Inverter

In my studies before getting my 06 model, I recall reading that they had a 120 volt outlet somewhere; along with the dc outlets. But, when I settled on the 06 that I got, it had no 120 outlet anywhere. Since buying it, have discovered it to be an early 06; so presume the 120 outlet would be in the 06 later model.

Might want to check with VW to see how it can be done in a factory install configuration. If successful, please post results as I am also interested in the same thing; not for a tig welder, but for the cooler box for when we go to the big box grocery store that is 70 miles from home.

SpeedFreek said:
Im looking at putting a power inverter in my car, I want to be able to run my laptop, phone charger, camera charger, washer/dryer, 21cu ft chest freezer, mig/tig welder. ok mabey not those last couple but you get the idea

Where would be a good place to install it and would it be better if I had the outlets mounted where I want them as opposed to trying to shove the whole unit somewhere. I figure about 300-400 watts would be enough and does anyone recommend a specific brand for low heat output and clean power.

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
Just recalled this

The 120 volt outlet I referred to earlier, just remembered this. It was not necessarily part of the Jetta; but was referred to within the details of Package #2 .... which I came across on a site like edmunds.com.

It 'may' also be under the description for a 2007 details also. Unfortunately I have thrown away my print-out.

I was researching the packages pre purchase ... that's why I was looking ... and recall this outlet being of interest to me. Only wish now I had paid more attention to it before actually committing to my TDI.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I have a 200W(400peak) craftsman inverter plugged into one of the outlets if I need to run the laptop in the car (a bit idiotic, take 12VDC, invert, transform to 120VAC, transform down to 19.8V, rectify to DC at least it keeps the car nice and warm in winter).

It comes with a 15amp fuse on the low-voltage side and has a poweronoff switch on the body. It might not fit your bill when it comes to the 'quiet' part, and don't have an oscilloscope to check on the quality of the signal, but at $39.99 it was exactly the amount I was willing to spend for that convenience. I thought about mounting it in the trunk and hardwiring it to the power outlet back there.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I recommend Xantrex. If you are looking for 300-400 watts you would need to hardwire it as the 12 volt outlets cant handle anywhere near that level of load.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Mine has a regular outlet in it....it's right under the vents in the center console....pull on the thing that looks like an ashtray would be there...and you have a regular AC outlet. At least that's what I have on my 06.5. Build date on mine is 10/2006

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
120 volt outlet

Mine, early 06, just has the 12vdc outlet in that tray. :(:(

no-blue-screen said:
Mine has a regular outlet in it....it's right under the vents in the center console....pull on the thing that looks like an ashtray would be there...and you have a regular AC outlet. At least that's what I have on my 06.5. Build date on mine is 10/2006

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
SpeedFreek said:

My plan is to run a heavy guage DC line to the trunk, and install a Xantrex XS400 inverter under the parcel tray in the trunk area. I'll hardwire in a set of outlets in the center console, as well as one in the passenger footwell. I'll probably also use it to power an amateur radio, but that's another story. :p

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
120 volt

Wonder if getting the components from VW for the 06.5 Pkg.2 version would have any advantage? Along with perhaps a blow-up of the layout.

Strider said:
My plan is to run a heavy guage DC line to the trunk, and install a Xantrex XS400 inverter under the parcel tray in the trunk area. I'll hardwire in a set of outlets in the center console, as well as one in the passenger footwell. I'll probably also use it to power an amateur radio, but that's another story. :p

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Strider said:
Unless you have a need for a true sine wave inverter dont waste you money on one. They are expensive and 99% of the people dont need them.

The xpower 400 plus has the same capacity and only cost 1/10 what the true sine wave inverter costs.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
doonboggle said:
Wonder if getting the components from VW for the 06.5 Pkg.2 version would have any advantage? Along with perhaps a blow-up of the layout.
That would probably be a nice stock approach but depending on the size of the inverter I almost think it could fit under the passenger seat. There it would eliminate some wire, and a run from front to back doesnt look too appealing but still isnt out of the question.

Im still torn between a 300 or 400w because the most I run at any given time would be my laptop and USB HD, probably less than 200w. I know having some overhead in there would be nice for when I decide to run something bigger, like a tig welder :D just kidding.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
If you routinely want to do welding work while driving, you might want to go with a engine driven low-voltage generator head (you should be able to find one off a welding generator)...

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
david_594 said:
Unless you have a need for a true sine wave inverter dont waste you money on one. They are expensive and 99% of the people dont need them.

The xpower 400 plus has the same capacity and only cost 1/10 what the true sine wave inverter costs.
Only reason why I'm looking at the sine wave inverters is that I hope they're more RF quiet than the modified units.