potential owner - HPFP am i overreacting?

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
I am looking 2010 JSW TDI w/ a build date of 6/10.....
Should i still be concerned about the reliabilty of the dsg tranny?

Should i expect the O2 sensor and reflash TSB's to be already updated?

Since it appears more hpfp are failing-are the dealerships beginning to more easily accept the expense under warranty, or will it always be a blame game involving fuel contamination?......
......an extra $6-10k for a repair on a new car would be brutal!!
DSG tranny is fine. Ignore the crying.

O2 sensor issue was resolved. Mine had an 11/09 build date and never had an issue.

There is no evidence that more HPFPs are failing, only anecdotal comments on random message boards.

kaya12

TDI
soon come
I hear ya!!... interent jargon...i surley hope so anyways..i just can't imagine having a hpfp failure..$6-10k!!!!!! even if it occured w/in the 3/36 warranty, it could always happpen afterwards too...ive contemplated ext warranty, but who cares about warranty if i have the dealer or vw even remotely challenging my innocence or passing blame on fuel contamination...
does anyone know approx how many of these pumps have failed relative to vehicles sold?

SerbSpaniard

TDI
09 Sportwagen
HPFP FAILURE!!! TDI FAILURE!!!
This car is a piece of crap!!! Do not buy this unsafe crap especially if you have a family.
Just had this HPFP failure on the 405 in Santa Monica at 5:30pm while in the carpool lane with my wife and two kids in car seats. Luckily they have just reconstructed the carpool lane to install an emergency lane to the left otherwise this could have been catastrophic.
23K and the fuel pump fails/implodes???? Ridiculous!!!
I have had cars from BMW, Porsche, Audi, Honda/Acura, Ford, Chevy, AMC, Isuzu and Volvo and never had anything like this failure (period)!
And to read now that VW is not honoring some of these repairs!!!
***!!!!

If this is not covered completely I will hunt their warranty department and the reputation of the TDI and VW to the end of the earth, including filing suit and going on television to expose this recall warranted part/system and their gall to deny warranty coverage.

Paranoia!!! Tell that to my two terrified children and wife with cars wizzing by at 75mph a yard away.

Chi2

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
Hi SerbSpaniard,

That is an awful story- sorry to hear it. What symptoms did your car have b/f the pump grenaded?

I live in the area and drive that freeway every day. It can be intimidating even when your car is operational! However, there is no carpool lane on the 405 in Santa Monica (or even close to it). Maybe you just mean the "Left lane." They are doing a lot of construction, and I think that they hope to have a car pool lane one day, but before that time they are just widening the 405 (and, up at Sunset, they are changing an on ramp, etc.).

Jon

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
The in tank fuel pump failed on a 2008 Chevy van I have for parts chasing and it quit while running 70 mph down NE loop 820 at 6pm once. I had a passenger with me. The dealership said they've seen hundreds of tank pumps stranding people on the roads here. To my knowledge no accidents.

What makes any other car brand so dangerous?

LITTLE-LARRY

TDI
2010 JSW
The in tank fuel pump failed on a 2008 Chevy van I have for parts chasing and it quit while running 70 mph down NE loop 820 at 6pm once. I had a passenger with me. The dealership said they've seen hundreds of tank pumps stranding people on the roads here. To my knowledge no accidents.

What makes any other car brand so dangerous?
Must be a lot of ''bad gas'' in your area.

LARRY

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
I hate to say it, but the CR TDI's won't be back on the "list of possible next cars" until VW addresses this problem. IE: either no more failures, or honoring the warranty on all failures. I hope our PD TDI lasts long enough that we can buy another TDI again some day. The current situation has us spooked enough to cross them off the list.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
What 'issue' is there with the CR fuel system? Does anyone know is there have been more than 5 failures in the entire fleet of these cars currently on the road? No they do not. No-one knows.

Much ado about nothing. A bunch of people whipping up FUD, as usual.

Joetdi11

TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
About to pck up new 2011?

I am suppose to pick up my 2011 Wagon next week. I travel with my boys every weekend for sports. I am having big time second thoughts on the TDI. I am not new to diesel, Chey Duramax 02, bad injectors and new cp3 pump 96000 miles. GM pumped up there service contract to 7 years or 100000 miles after so many fuel systems went bad. Mine went bad after the seven years, one month out.The truck never stopped running even with these problems. GM still payed half the bill, as a good will gesture. I am going to call VW sales today and ask them about this problem, see if they will give me a extended service contract for free. If not, I am going to cancel my order and see if I can recover my deposit on the new TDI wagon. I though I did my homework on this car, I failed to find this thread till last night. I like the car, but I am concerned with this problems and the safety of my family . Thank you Joe

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
Boy, I've discounted buying a new Subie Outback because of their inability to fix the "shakers" people have received. Reading this makes me think twice about a new 2dr Golf or JSW TDi that I'm interested in

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Boy, I've discounted buying a new Subie Outback because of their inability to fix the "shakers" people have received. Reading this makes me think twice about a new 2dr Golf or JSW TDi that I'm interested in
Add some B100 for a B2 to B5 mix and motor on .

LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!
dweisel

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
What 'issue' is there with the CR fuel system? Does anyone know is there have been more than 5 failures in the entire fleet of these cars currently on the road? No they do not. No-one knows.

And a bunch of other people in total denial, as usual.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am suppose to pick up my 2011 Wagon next week. I travel with my boys every weekend for sports. I am having big time second thoughts on the TDI. I am not new to diesel, Chey Duramax 02, bad injectors and new cp3 pump 96000 miles. GM pumped up there service contract to 7 years or 100000 miles after so many fuel systems went bad. Mine went bad after the seven years, one month out.The truck never stopped running even with these problems. GM still payed half the bill, as a good will gesture. I am going to call VW sales today and ask them about this problem, see if they will give me a extended service contract for free. If not, I am going to cancel my order and see if I can recover my deposit on the new TDI wagon. I though I did my homework on this car, I failed to find this thread till last night. I like the car, but I am concerned with this problems and the safety of my family . Thank you Joe
You might as we walk away now.....VW is not going to give you the time of day on this issue.

bora2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5-speed; 2009 Jetta TDI 6-spd; 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen; 2015 Golf TDI SE - Manual 6spd; 2012 Jetta TDI

I agree. Typical human response .... let's panic first! :)

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
If you were really on the fence between this and something else, I'd consider going with the something else if you didnt already have it papered. Even though there is no big issue IMO, if you are already worried about it, it will always be in your mind to some degree detracting from the perception of the car, as well as make you really sensitive to any other potential problems.

That said, I dont think there is any glaring problem with the HPFP. I mean yeah, it was prob made for higher quality euro fuel vs our lower stuff, but I dont think they are ticking time bombs. Even as far as fuel goes, it should only get better in that respect with ULSD being mandatory across the country for all on road, so no chances of mislabled or otherwise misleading pumps (getting LSD insted of ULSD)...a lot of areas mandating bio to be added to all onroad ULSD...refiners just plain ole upping their game as ULSD matures with a lot at least claiming closer to 400 then 525 as far as lubricity goes. Anyhow, every day there are more and more CR's hitting the road while existing ones are racking up more and more miles, yet HPFP failures arent following suit, not that there was really a statistical significant number to begin with.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hello,
So how many documented failures are there? No one seems to know.

lexa

Veteran Member
TDI
none
can one compare this HPFP concern with 1.8T VW gas engine oil sludge issues?
  1. cost to repair? I think comparable, with 1.8T whole engine replacement required.
  2. root cause? Design issue, US vs Europe fuel/oil, climat difference?
  3. miles driven for issues to come up in mass? for HPFP jury is out, don't know for sure about 1.8T, IIRC after power train warranty expiration, that's after 60K, but I'll stand corrected if somebody has better recollection.
  4. VWoA handling. after growing failure #s and many owners left dry, VWoA assumed oil sludge 1.8T responsibility IF owner could prove oil changes were done by licensed shops (no DIY) strictly according to a manual or sooner. With HPFP, it seems after few warranty refusals due to contaminated fuel argument, VWoA changed the course and stopped refusing the warranty, but no hope yet on any assistance after warranty is over.

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hello,
So how many documented failures are there? No one seems to know.
Of course we don't know. None of us here is in a position to have that data, and anyone who does (within VW) is going to be prohibited from sharing.

The closest we have is dweisel's list:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293629

As of today it lists 44 failures among TDI club members. My search of the user profiles (here) indicates ~1,756 CR TDIs owned by club members. Combine the two and you get a failure rate of ~2.5%.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Of course we don't know. None of us here is in a position to have that data, and anyone who does (within VW) is going to be prohibited from sharing.

The closest we have is dweisel's list:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293629

As of today it lists 44 failures among TDI club members. My search of the user profiles (here) indicates ~1,756 CR TDIs owned by club members. Combine the two and you get a failure rate of ~2.5%.
45.............................have one new one to add.

dwiesel

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
No updates to this thread in over a year. This was linked from the HPFP faq. I assume this is a good thing.

I've concluded this is a problem affecting a very small number of owners, and of those, I wonder how much the fuel is to blame.

I plan to fuel at branded, high traffic stations and put opti lube in each tank. Hopefully that will mitigate the risk. I assume Shell, Chevron, and BP are all considered "good brands."

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
No updates to this thread in over a year. This was linked from the HPFP faq. I assume this is a good thing.
I've concluded this is a problem affecting a very small number of owners, and of those, I wonder how much the fuel is to blame.
I plan to fuel at branded, high traffic stations and put opti lube in each tank. Hopefully that will mitigate the risk. I assume Shell, Chevron, and BP are all considered "good brands."
That's a lot of assuming and hoping.