Potential buyer questions

chartist10

TDI
A3
I'm thinking seriously about buying the 2012 A3 Sport Wagon. I have a few questions which are giving me pause.

1st - is the 2012 A3 subject to a potential recall of the high pressure fuel pump? I know it is not mentioned but is it the same as the 2011 or have they made modifications?

2nd - It looks like the 2012 A3 is the last of the sport wagons. The new A3 will be sedan only. What do people think about buying a model that will not be made any longer.

3rd - No memory seats on a near $40k car is crazy. They are not the only ones pulling this none sense but it doesn't make me grab for my check book as fast.

Thanks in advance.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
From what i've read those pump issues have been sorted out- My wife drives a 2010 and i found a little metal when i changed the fuel filter- I am changing it again soon just to monitor and take pics if necessary- I hope all i saw was "break in" metal. I would't think twice about buying a discontinued model. Come resale time it should hold its value as the last model year of its kind. I know what you mean about the seats- Had power seats my last car and for what it costs to repair when they fail vs how many times you change their positions is it that big a deal? The older the car got the less i wanted to move them.When my wifes lease is up i hope to talk her into the sedan in 2 1/2 yrs- She loves the a3 but has never driven the same car twice. Diesel's the way to go- I remind her how much premium gas costs!

Vin63

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
1- I believe the fuel pump issues of the past are pretty much resolved.
2- There are a lot of people not happy with the move away from the hatchback, which will more than likely maintain the value of the hatchback version.
3- I don't really miss the power memory seats.

jhc

TDI
Sportwagon TDI
Jetta sport wagon tdi, Prius, a3 tdi?

2- There are a lot of people not happy with the move away from the hatchback, which will more than likely maintain the value of the hatchback version.

I didn't realize this. I'm deciding between the jetta sport wagon tdi, Prius or A3 tdi hatch, all 2011 or 2012. Ruled out the a3 for cost, but if this is the last yr, might have to rethink. The jetta wagon would be my first choice, but can't live with the fake vinyl seats. Too sticky. Anybody else have thoughts on the v Tex, really would prefer a diesel over hybrid.

Factors:
Commute 40 miles a day, mix of highway and nyc- stop and go and potholes.
Baby on the way. Large boot would be nice.
Winter, east coast weather.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
1- I believe the fuel pump issues of the past are pretty much resolved. Wrong, what would make you even post that?
2- There are a lot of people not happy with the move away from the hatchback, which will more than likely maintain the value of the hatchback version. ??
3- I don't really miss the power memory seats. The salesman lied to me about the memory seats, its really unbelieveable that the driver seat has no memory. It is a distraction to driving.

Replys in Red.

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
Replys in Red.
I too am disappointed in the non-memory seats, but since i'm the only one driving it 90% of the time, it's not a huge deal. The little thing I'm most annoyed with is the steering wheel dial not going through my presets on SAT and radio. I hate that it just scrolls in order of station...

Overall, love how the car drives & the utility of the hatch. Oh, and 45mpg helps too :)

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
It's all relative

chartist10:

With 17,000 miles on my '11 A3 S-line TDI:

1. I'm keeping a good eye on wazzup on the HPFP issues, keeping all of my fuel purchase receipts, adding a few oz of additive each fuel-up, and hitting the service intervals spot-on.

2. I bought my A3, specifically a diesel, so that I don't have to worry about buying a car for another 10 - 15 years. If that's your philosophy, then EVERY model will not be made any longer when it comes time to sell.

3. I drive the A3 80% of the time. After my wife has driven it, I have to adjust the seat and the mirrors, but the lack of memory for those has never bothered me. If I had to do that more, I might complain a little, but it's 6 seconds of effort ...

I love mine. I've had friends jump in and drive it who've driven land-yacht gassers all their lives and they're all smiles afterwards.

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus/Titanium Package
Well, my A3 is at 31k right now. The HPFP failed on me at 28k, dealer fixed it with out any fuss. Love the car and would not settle for a non hatch.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Replys in Red.
For what it may be worth. I have a 2009 Jetta TDI with over 50,000 miles and have had absolutely no problem with the pump or anything else except for a weeping (at the crimped on fitting) high pressure oil line to the turbocharger. VW replaced both hoses under waranty. I have an A3 TDI on order to share the garage with the Jetta.