Pot holes, idiotic parking attendants, dented rocker, and a body shop... oh my

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
The last two weeks of my life have really sucked.

It all started with a massive pothole the size of Rhode Island in the middle of the southbound Palisades between exit 3 and 4. Yup. I nailed it. I hit it so hard with the passenger front tire that it blew the bead right of the rim. I pulled over by the exit 3 off ramp and put the donut on. Yay...

That was Wednesday, January 15th.

January 16th, I head over to Jack Williams tire near my house to see if I can recover the tire. Luckily the wheel wasn't bent, although the lip did sustain a small ding. After a few minutes waiting, the tech tells me that they can't save the tire. Sidewall got compromised. So, my options are to replace the one tire, or replace all 4 since the other 3 were down to 3/32". Being the practical and logical sort of person that I am, all 4 tires were replaced. I also had my alignment checked and corrected. All was well again in my universe.

Fast forward to Wednesday, January 22nd. I'm minding my own business. It's been a long day and I'm headed home from work. I'm in the right lane of the Palisades by exit 9. It's about 7pm and dark. I think Maroon 5 started playing on the radio, and being that I can't stand Maroon 5, reached over to change the channel when *!@#BLAM!@#$ I hit another pothole - this time driver front. This one from the way it sounded and felt at 60 mph was a tad smaller... maybe the size of Hialeah, Florida. Fortunately, the tire didn't blow out and I continued driving home; the whole while hoping that nothing else was wrong. I didn't feel any vibrations, and the car wasn't pulling. Fingers crossed.

As soon as I got home, I hopped out and looked at the front driver side tire. Damnit. A bubble the size of a tennis ball had developed on the sidewall. There's no way I could drive around safely on this so, so it was back to Jack Williams the following day. Fortunately, I had purchased tire protection this time around so all I had to do was pay for the mounting. They also checked my alignment again and readjusted toe and steer ahead. All was well in my world again...

Friday, January 24; 09:15 in the morning. I pull into my Manhattan garage where I have a monthly parking spot. I've been parking in this garage since 2006 so I've seen attendants come and go. I haven't had too many problems here. I drop the car off and tell the guy that I'll be back at the usual time.

I make it to my office and start my day. A couple of hours go by when I get a call on my cell. I answer, and suddenly fear hits me. It's the garage attendant. He tells me that while they were backing my car up onto a lift, they hit the corner of the lift with the driver side rear tire. Sidewall was cut, tire flat, and they want my permission to remove the wheel so they can put a new tire on.

By this time, alarm bells are ringing in my head. I ask the attendant to make sure they give me the exact same tire. If they can't, don't do it. He reassures me that they can as he's already spoken to the body shop that this garage uses. Fine. I tell him they can go ahead and replace the tire. I suggest that I come down, jack up the car myself and put the spare on. The attendant says, "don't worry! We've done this before and know what we're doing. Just relax, we'll take care of everything!! Your car will be ready by the time you finish working."

Uneasily, I agreed and went back to what I was doing. Fast forward to 6PM and I head over to the garage to get my car. As I'm walking up to it, I do a cursory glance. Yup, new tire. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I open the trunk to put my bag in and decide to have a closer look at the tire and wheel. What do I notice? The tire isn't the same as the others. Now I'm getting mad again. I specifically asked that they give me the exact same tire since I purchased a protection plan for 4 tires. I can't use the plan if I have another incident and the damn tire isn't the one Jack Williams sold me. So, I call the day manager who assured me that this must be some screw up and he apologizes. Thinking that they'll give me the right tire the next day, I hang up.

I was just about to get in and drive away when I happened to look down. Now my car's covered in salt, but something didn't seem right. I look closer. Closer... closer. OH MY $%@#$$ GOD. What in all things good and right is that??? And then it hits me like an ironic bag of bricks. Remember what I said before about me coming down to jack up my own car??

This is what I see:

The a-hole who jacked up my car put the jack right underneath rocker panel instead of the pinch weld.

Now, I lose my marbles...

Lots of swearing ensues.

Blood pressure rising...

Lots of phone calls take place between myself, and the garage claims manager. I also drop off my Golf to a VW certified body shop in Long Island City. That was yesterday, January 27th.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the garage claims office has agreed to reimburse me $535.00 to repair the damage and replace the tire. I also picked up my Golf this morning. The body shop was able to pull most of the dent out and then go over it with bondo. They also repainted, plus applied corrosion protection and stone guard. The repair looks OK. It's not perfect as you can still see a slight ding or recess in the metal. The body shop guy said that's the best they could do without sanding more of the area down, thus making the repair more expensive and causing a greater chance of things not looking right in the end. The important thing to me is that the metal won't rust there.

I've yet to take some pictures of the repaired spot but will do so and post them when I get home. Anyway, I just wanted to vent. It seems that me and my Golf have been cursed the last couple of weeks. Hopefully things get better from here on out. I've also decided to end my relationship with my garage and look for somewhere else to go. I didn't appreciate the fact that the attendant who jacked up car lied to my face and said he wasn't responsible.

Oh well. C'est la vie eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Now that sucks the big one. It's always good to vent. As long as the garage comes good for everything. If you stay tell them you want a sizable discount on the rates or word of mouth is a *****. :eek:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, now I'm hoping they pay up.

I have on email the garage claims manager agreeing in writing to my itemized breakdown of costs which totaled $535.00. He says the check should be disbursed within a week to a week and a half.

Fingers crossed. I've already paid for the body shop repairs and rental car out of my own pocket. I just want to recoup my money at this point.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
& $^%$# that sucks. I have several NYC car war stories for you... fingers crossed for you.

Since buying the VW - I rarely take it into the city. I think I've gotten a few stares from parking attendants for parking it and driving out myself. My Hondas and Toyota got the crap kicked out of them. So hard to see potholes. I think I actually bent the same front right axle on the same effing road on two different cars.

Good to hear that it's being taken care of by the garage/dealer. I know you don't want to hear this, but have you thought about parking in NNJ and taking the ferry or NJ Transit to the city?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
& $^%$# that sucks. I have several NYC car war stories for you... fingers crossed for you.

Since buying the VW - I rarely take it into the city. I think I've gotten a few stares from parking attendants for parking it and driving out myself. My Hondas and Toyota got the crap kicked out of them. So hard to see potholes. I think I actually bent the same front right axle on the same effing road on two different cars.

Good to hear that it's being taken care of by the garage/dealer. I know you don't want to hear this, but have you thought about parking in NNJ and taking the ferry or NJ Transit to the city?
Parking in NNJ might be an option; I'll have to do a cost/time analysis to see if it's worth my while. Right now, I pay about $310 a month for my parking spot. The garage is located about a block from my office so it's convenient. This garage used to be the best one out of 5 or 6 near me. The manager was a great guy; this was back in 2006. Since then, there's been quite a turnover and the new manager doesn't give a !@#$ about other people's cars as you can see from what happened to me. I remember seeing this guy drive and hit a curb on the passenger side rocker in someone's Mercedes CLS500. Left a nice big dent. I should have run and found a new garage immediately.

Anyway, there's a self-park garage on 25th and the FDR. It's a bit of hike since my office is on 46th and 2nd. In the summer, it's a nice 20-30 minute walk. I'd hate to do it in the Winter. Best part though is like I said, it's self park and monthly cost is only $200 including tax.

BTW, I've attached pictures of the repaired rocker panel to this post. I hope you can see the difference. Part of the dent is still visible. I guess the shop couldn't pull it out far enough to match the overall contour and they didn't want to slap a ton of mud on there to compensate.

Would you guys consider that repair to be satisfactory? I was initially quoted $375 but in the end was only charged $200.

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like they did a pretty good job on it. Compared to the before pics. But I'm no body guy.
Yeah, I guess so. I was hoping that it'd look perfect, but I suppose that'd be incredibly hard to accomplish with a rocker repair. It's pretty hard steel and was surprised that it held up the car on the jack without more damage.

Anyway, it's down at the bottom so you can't really notice that the contour is a tad bit off unless you're looking for it. I'll also be happy if it doesn't rust. This car has to last me at least another 2.5-3 years before I consider moving on to something else. I drive it all year round also as you can tell from the salt in the first pics. I'll only drive my truck if the snow is too high to get through with the Golf.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Would you guys consider that repair to be satisfactory? I was initially quoted $375 but in the end was only charged $200.

It's all about how much you want to pay. While trying to do a tranny fluid change last summer I dropped my Golf on the widowmaker jack while putting jack stands under it and scratched and dented the rocker panel just like yours. I was pretty upset. My local VW body shop made it go away completely for $1000. The only way you can tell that anything was changed is there is no dimple to tell you where to put the jack anymore.

I have no idea what they did, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned the removal of metal and "welding" to me when I originally spoke to him. The job was perfect.

If someone did this to my car I had better not be able to see anything but a pristine just-like-new rocker panel after the repairs were done. Everything on your car can be put back to showroom condition at any time. It's just about time and money.

Only you can decide if the hassle is worth it to you. Your repair is far from perfect, but most of the obvious damage is gone. If it's not going to bother you every day that you drive it, then just motor on and don't worry about it. You're going to suffer other damage to your car anyway - driving cars can be really hard on them. :)

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Holy hell James, sucky week. I feel your pain, much less severe than your damage, with potholes and so forth. I'm always working in the Jersey City area or Manhattan depending on what job I'm on (union carpenter) and my car is taking a beating. This winter has been absolutely devastating to the roads. So much so that I've semi retired the CR for winter commuting and just bought a 2004 Golf TDI for most of commuting. Although I'm as in love with this car now as the CR, but it takes the edge off of stressing about damaging it some.

You ever consider parking in Jersey City and taking the path in? I know it only goes to 33rd street in Manhattan but JC is much easier to deal with, cheaper, and self park. When I was working at the World Trade Center is was a breeze.

Anyway sorry to hear of your bad luck streak. Drink many beers and all will be well.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Also, I was always curious about lots with attendants. Do yours know to let the glow plugs run before starting? I always refused to park at attendant lots for that reason, and now you gave me a couple more reasons to justify that.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Only you can decide if the hassle is worth it to you. Your repair is far from perfect, but most of the obvious damage is gone. If it's not going to bother you every day that you drive it, then just motor on and don't worry about it. You're going to suffer other damage to your car anyway - driving cars can be really hard on them. :)
Hey Canux; yup everything you say is true. I could have insisted on a perfect repair, but there was no way the garage (despite them accepting full responsibility) was going to pay more than $325. In fact, they wanted me to take the car to their body shop and they would have covered everything but after what happened with the tire and jack, I decided I've had enough of their service. I mean, if you can screw up changing a tire... point is, I didn't want to risk more damage and headaches by going with their people.

As for your repair, got any before/after pics? $1000 is a lot of coin and if welding was involved, then I'm pretty sure your guy cut out the damaged part of the rocker and welded a new one back in place. That's a major job with a lot of man hours involved so the cost is justified.

Anyway sorry to hear of your bad luck streak. Drink many beers and all will be well.
Thanks Jay. Congrats to you on your 2004 TDI acquisition. It's nice to have a beater that you don't worry about too much. As for the beers... oh man, I'd love to toss back a few but I quit smoking a month ago. If I had a drink now, that'd trigger me to go right back to smoking. Gonna have to wait a bit I think. ;)

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, I was always curious about lots with attendants. Do yours know to let the glow plugs run before starting? I always refused to park at attendant lots for that reason, and now you gave me a couple more reasons to justify that.
No, they're all morons. They just get in and start the car immediately.

Here's where I'm planning on going next:
https://www.watersideplaza.com/about/?p=viewPage.jsp&id=101&did=402

It's self park and over a $100 cheaper a month. It's 21 blocks away from my office which is the only downside.

I'm ready to cancel my current garage spot, but I don't want to do that until I have my reimbursement check in hand. I'm afraid if I cancel now, they may try to screw me...

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
No, they're all morons. They just get in and start the car immediately.
Here's where I'm planning on going next:
https://www.watersideplaza.com/about/?p=viewPage.jsp&id=101&did=402
It's self park and over a $100 cheaper a month. It's 21 blocks away from my office which is the only downside.
I'm ready to cancel my current garage spot, but I don't want to do that until I have my reimbursement check in hand. I'm afraid if I cancel now, they may try to screw me...
That looks good, and it's self park, peace of mind. Take that extra hundred bucks and catch a cab on crappy weather days when you don't feel like walking, it's a win-win.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
I parked at pier 40 above the soccer fields for a half year before I moved to Brooklyn. Easier to park in the boroughs, but I learned the value of having a self pRking lot this past summer.

I don't know many self parking lots in the city, but I am sure much cheaper ones are in nnj. The subway is cheaper than parking at Chelsea piers. The lot on 18th and 10ave is nice, right below the highline with good attendants, but that may be because the lot is open air.

James that repair does look better, but I would wait for the check. I'm heading up to the city tomorrow for three days and taking amtrak. Would rather be in the car, but I agree with Jay.

Good luck!

Btw that goofy cat picture is equally laughable and creepy. Toonces the tripping driving cat.

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't believe it. I must be cursed. On the way home tonight on the Palisades, I hit another pothole. Same tire as last week, driver front. Got home and saw a nice fat sidewall bubble...

Sent from my rotary telephone

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
I think you may need to buy a Unimog. Really sorry for all your bad luck man.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
A Unimog would be awesome. All joking aside, this has been the worst winter in terms of potholes that I can recall in the last decade. Driving on the Palisades now is like running across a minefield at 60 mph.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I picked up my 2010 JSW and noticed the next day that it looked like someone had driven over a curb. The car had come from their other dealership. The bumper was scratched and a plastic body piece underneath the car was damaged.

I immediately took it back to the dealer.

They agreed to fix the car.

The bumper was painted, but the damaged body was not repaired.

After a huge go-round involving VWoA, I was eventually given a 2011.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm at the tire place. The wheel that hit the pothole is now slightly out of round. Anyone know where I can get a cheap refurbished Salamanca from?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
A Unimog would be awesome. All joking aside, this has been the worst winter in terms of potholes that I can recall in the last decade. Driving on the Palisades now is like running across a minefield at 60 mph.

Dude. That sucks. Hope this is the worst you get...

My dad seems to be a magnet for hitting potholes whenever he drives, I'll be forwarding him this thread for sure.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
I feel your pain, I managed to crack my 18" goal rim on a pothole on 70W heading toward philly. Got a re-manufactured rim in the mail, color wasn't correct and had a pretty crappy bondo job done to it.

I'm fishing around for a new rim but for now I am rocking my 16" steelies.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
I was going to buy a set of 15" steel wheels to use for winter but then my colleague gave me 4 15" alloy Audi wheels from his 1997 A4. I believe the bolt pattern is the same. I just have to go to his house to pick them up.

Anyway, for those who are in my position or who may find themselves in a similar bind to me, I've discovered a few places online that sell refurbished VW wheels at what I think are reasonable prices. I'll list the URLs below. FWIW, I called my dealer and they wanted about $550 for a new Salamanca or $200 to try and bend it back.

http://www.originalwheels.com/volkswagen-wheels/golf2012rims.php
http://www.hubcaphaven.com/golf_wheels.htm

Anyone here had experience with any of the above companies?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
I was going to buy a set of 15" steel wheels to use for winter but then my colleague gave me 4 15" alloy Audi wheels from his 1997 A4. I believe the bolt pattern is the same. I just have to go to his house to pick them up.

Anyway, for those who are in my position or who may find themselves in a similar bind to me, I've discovered a few places online that sell refurbished VW wheels at what I think are reasonable prices. I'll list the URLs below. FWIW, I called my dealer and they wanted about $550 for a new Salamanca or $200 to try and bend it back.

http://www.originalwheels.com/volkswagen-wheels/golf2012rims.php
http://www.hubcaphaven.com/golf_wheels.htm

Anyone here had experience with any of the above companies?

You checked vortex, eBay, Craigslist, amazon?

I just got a set of goals with three day old tires to swap out my portos. Seems like having a backup set for winter makes the most sense. I'd put your friends rims on for winter and keep checking vortex, et al. You'll find a rim for less.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Good grief. I thought my pothole troubles were done with the end of winter. I managed to hit one on the way home tonight... Bubbled the front passenger tire's sidewall. To top it off, it was on one of the dented wheels I had fixed a few weeks back. I hope it's still true...

The car must be cursed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I hate to say it but maybe it is time for the train