PD lift pump
GHL 2.5" dp/exhaust (no cat/muffler)
modified passat PD130 intake manifold
custom FMIC/piping

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
WOW!! Great numbers especially given the mods. Why did the dyno end at 4900 RPM's I remember RC 6 good for 5500+? Is this where the operator stopped the run?

Either way the curve is definitely where driving is fun.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
99, white,2 door golf and 98, white, Jetta
The graph isn't as pretty as it could be.lol I was a little more concerned about preserving my motor and turbo. I had the dyno operator watch EGTs rather than RPMs i told him to cut it off when they got close to 1700 degrees.

Also the graph starts a little late because i was getting compressor surge when we started the pulls at 1500 rpms. Therefore, i told him to roll into it, and start the readings at 2000 rpms.

A cam and head work should take care of the EGTs. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Great numbers. You need to update your signature, it still says stock turbo. Where was your IQ at? And what do you have for a turbo intake? A better intake and higher IQ will help your EGTs a lot, and may help the surge issue, too. At any rate, very impressive. What kind of dyno?

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
My sig is saying i ran a 15.0 on all tose stock pieces (134 hp).

And that i need to get back out to the track now that i have 70 more hps.lol

My intake is a custom piece. It might not get the coldest air, but it flows plenty good. And i was actually planning to see Jeff at some point in the near future to fully dial in my car (ip timing and iq being part of that). So we're on the same line of thought, and i'm hoping to get it all tuned up here soon. :)

droppedjet

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
ak47tdi said:
My sig is saying i ran a 15.0 on all tose stock pieces (134 hp).

And that i need to get back out to the track now that i have 70 more hps.lol

My intake is a custom piece. It might not get the coldest air, but it flows plenty good. And i was actually planning to see Jeff at some point in the near future to fully dial in my car (ip timing and iq being part of that). So we're on the same line of thought, and i'm hoping to get it all tuned up here soon. :)
I love ak47tdi's car
One day I will have that much HP

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
droppedjet said:
I love ak47tdi's car
One day I will have that much HP
Thanks. :eek:
Good luck with your rebuild, and or motor swap btw. :)

correcaminos

Veteran Member
TDI
leon 150 remap
Grede said:
hi all.
im upping some dyno from a friend of mine - Skodacombi, who also is a user on this forum.

Second dyno, the VB unit is changed with a 1852 turbo. and added water/methanol injection.
The black line is done without water/meth and the redline is done with water/meth.
Please note that there where is a 10% increase i touqe from 480nm to 530nm. Max power is also done with less rpm's
nice numbers!!

it's a real 1852v or a 1749vb with 1852 internals?

thanks and regards!!

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
it is a 1852 unit
what i know it is a Streettoy unit from Kerma from "back in the day"

skodacombi

Veteran Member
TDI
skoda fabia 101 hp
it is a vnt 1852(plug and play) from street toys and 150 hp injektors and som other gut stof..very big ic (8.5 liter)and all the inlet to the turbo is from a 130 hp.. big exhaust. (the enigine is a 100 hp from the start) ther have bin som discustion abut the power to my car is real but i can say i am running whith 38 degree of oppening on the injektors and we have pulld the injektion start about 4 degree back( or more i cant remember it is so long way back since we have maked it) from standart to avoid to mutch smoke and i the cold weather we nove have i denmark it is not smoking at all when i drive it(wery nice)...........michael

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Dyno'd IBW today with the new intercooler piping. No other changes to the car. The blue line is today, the red one is from late September when I had the new exhaust installed. No correction except atmospheric.

Last time it made 173/304. Today it was 185/312. What was interesting to me was that the power increase was in the mid-range and there's no additional power above 4800 RPM or so. And the torque peak is about 400 rpm higher than it was before. Bill (dyno operator) played a bit with ramp-up load to see if it would move the torque peak. He was able to move it to the left by having a longer ramp-up time, but the peak numbers were lower when we did that. What we concluded is that the car still heat soaks, it just does it at a higher level than before. We looked at the boost chart (didn't print it) and the boost is behaving the same, it just comes up at a higher RPM. Probably the turbo takes a bit longer to fill the bigger charge tubes.

What's also interesting to me is that on the road the car doesn't feel like it has any lag, quite the opposite. It feels more responsive. So what you see here as lag doesn't drive that way on the highway. Perhaps if I flat-footed the accelerator from idle in 4th it would.

And I'm impressed that the car hung together. I had a bad feeling at the start of the first pull that today was going to be the day something broke. Maybe next time.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Very interesting Peter! Not what I expected at all. I can't believe it shifts your band to the right so much. There goes all that 17/22 "street advantage" I'll call it. I hear what your saying about it doesn't drive laggy on the street but dyno's don't lie. The lag is undeniable. Perhaps if you started the dyno at 2krpm it would appear different. After all, I never floor my car at idle LOL. I will floor it at 2k if I need to on the street though. So, I wonder what the dyno responses would look like starting at higher rpms. Sometimes I'll cruise at 3k if I know I'm going to floor it on the street...
Now the interesting part: which setup is faster? Well, in a full out 1st through 4th romp, I'd say the new setup is faster. Scootin around in traffic, I'd say the old setup is quicker. Either way, with 185hp on your dyno, that's about the same as 200-215whp on others... I know you don't care about "numbers" but that's pretty impressive either way you look at it. I never would have thought you'd gain 12hp from changing plumbing?
As far as the heat soak: of course your gonna get soaked on a dyno. Those wimpy fans don't cool your car like 90mph wind will =)

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Very interesting. Looks like the total area under the power curve is about exactly equal in both cases. From the graph alone, it looks like a change of one gear. If you cruise around at ~2000 rpm's with the old you'd need to cruise around at 2300 rpm's now to get the same scoot.

I wonder how this would behave if it were paired up with a long runner SDI type intake.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Peter,
Where's your MAP sensor placed in comparison to the old tubing?
And how is the Boost curves you were looking at made? Did you Tee into a fitting on the intake manifold or... ?

I don't know too much about dyno's, but is this one of those ones that a 4th gear pull to redline takes like 5 seconds, or like 45 seconds?

The 400rpm later torque peak is what i feel is the fishy part.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
MAP sensor is in the same place. And I'd say the pull takes about 10 seconds (that's a WAG, and I was waiting for something to break so it may have seemed longer than it was).

And what I learned today is that a dyno curve may not be a good indicator of what happens to the car on the street. What gear you're in, starting revs, whether or not you're on a hill or if the car's loaded or not--all these things affect when the car makes power. The peak numbers will be the same (or lower) but the position and shape of the curve can change.

What's also interesting to me now is I cannot make the car smoke now. Before I could 'catch' the turbo at low revs and get a puff of smoke if I got on the accelerator at, say, 1400 RPM in 3rd. Now it doesn't do that. And in the past if I trundled around town for a day or two and then got on the highway it would smoke initially. Not now.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Same thing happen to me, recently I changed my IC piping from 2" to 2.5", now I see that my car has definitly less smoke, less egt's (big advantage) in the other hand I lost a little bit of the quickness from the get go I could feel it I know my car,,I really like quick sprints they are fun. but now I believe that if I continue to open the air flow with long duration cam and porting the head, my air swirl will suffer even more, making my car more letargic from a quick roll, peaking at a higher RPM,(no fun for me),

I am not an expert on this matter and please correct me if I am wrong, but I think If you would like to open the air passage in your car big time, I think the 17/22 is not the appropriate turbo to do that, you would need a bigger turbo with bigger blades to push all that air through the bigger tunnel.

I will have my car Dyno probably next month, so we'll see what kind of numbers I get after going from 2.0" to a bigger 2.5" IC piping , I will compare it with my old dyno, IBW I am also afriad about taking my car to the dyno, I would not like to pick up one of the rods flying across the shop.

Last edited:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Here is my last one , allready posted on another topic but here is the right place:

Mods are on my sign.
Did not dyno futher into the RPMs because this was a test run... I was adjusting the remap but then I read the numbers and 180bhp was enought so boost was left at 1,65bars.

Engine is now with 342k kms , driving with this setup for 30k and runs fine torque from really low RPMs and power till 5000rpm ;)

Regards,

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Stock 2.0 CR w/DSG

Finally got a full run with torque numbers after two failed attempts at different shops. Only problem with this one was I think the guy ran the car in 3rd because the speed seems pretty low compared to other '09s.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Thanks for posting. That's consistent with what I saw on my DSG...which is somewhere in this thread posted around 11/22/08 ish...

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
This Cars for some reason are not easy to dyno, and RPM are allways wrong... 6K on diesel ?.......

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
And some TDI's spin 6k... So many dyno shops have issues picking up a tach signal. Personally, I would refuse to pay if they couldn't produce an accurate tach signal, not something generated off of speed/gearing/math. A REAL signal. It wasn't too hard to stick some reflective tape on the side of my IP pulley on my ALH but I'm not sure how to do the PD...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
engineperformancetuning said:
This Cars for some reason are not easy to dyno, and RPM are allways wrong... 6K on diesel ?.......
Not sure why the graph is in MPH. They had an optical pickup...whether they used it or just used math to come up with the torque numbers is beyond me. They wouldn't let me see the car while being dynoed for "insurance purposes" but I could hear them running it. I do think they should have asked me about the RPM/MPH deal for the graph though.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Nothing new done to the car, but I went with my buddy up to a Mini dyno day and threw Josie on the rollers. Numbers are a little lower than my last dyno at NEDD VII, but in line with what I would expect:

I am thinking a lift pump will be next.