Post Extended warranty mods and bulletproofing.

Connly33

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I was just wanting discuss some of my plans for modifications and maintenance once my warranty runs out, and to see if anyone has any comments or recommendations. Or what any of your plans are. I plan on keeping this car for quite a long time.

First off, it will be due for a timing belt job, so i will be going with the ID parts kit, and doing the serpentine belt component's as well.
While there, I'm going to do the CP3 retrofit, i picked up a cheap rebuilt CP3 from the UK, and one of the 2 micron retrofit clone kits. (I feel a bit ripped off paying more for the kit than the pump, but low production machined parts are not cheap, so i get it).

I will pair the new pump install with a nicktane 1 micron filter kit, using the Cim-Tek microglass filters. I will be using it as a secondary filter, and retain the factory filter as a pre filter, and to retain the thermostatic T valve. I plan on changing the original filter at the normal interval, and maybe 60K miles on the 1 micron filter, as it seems trucks can get 20K + miles out of them, using 4 times the amount of fuel or more.

Since I'm going to have all of that off anyway, i will be doing the dreaded thermostat, I got the oil filler housing gasket just in case i do have to remove it.
My car never really gets hotter than 160 to 170F unless the engine is under a lot of load, Highway cruising it sticks dead on 160, so it seems like it is getting a bit tired.

A rawtek downpipe and high flow DOC cat. As well as the darkside developments EGR cooler / intake pipe. That will give enough room for the CP3.
I want some more turbo noise, but i dont want the noise to be obnoxious, so it will be going into the stock muffler, adding the cat because I don't mind some extra diesel smell, but i dont want it to be at an embarrassing level. (I understand the arguments not to do these modifications in particular, and i completely agree with a lot of them, if I lived in a high population dense area, or an area with high particulate matter air pollution, I would not do these modifications, but for multiple reasons, including frequent intercooling icing issues, even after the TSB fix, I have decided to go this route)

I'm going to go with a malone stage 2 ecu tune, and DSG tune. I already have VCDS, and will be getting an OBD multigauge, honestly mostly for fun, but to also be able to monitor things easily, probably going to get the banks IQ 1.8, since external sensors can be added in case it cannot read EGT through CAN on the OBD port.

The only other thing I am worried about is the DSG DMF, it is chattery, and a little rattly under certain circumstances, not marbles in a tin can bad, but it is there, it has not gotten worse over the past 30K miles, and the dealer said not to worry about. But i will monitor it, and probably DIY it when it comes time for replacement, but I do hope I have some more time since everything else will cost a decent amount.

I have read a LOT of the threads here regarding all of these modifications, and everything am planning on doing is based off of info I have gotten here, and the great guides users have made.

I know oil is a debated topic still, but as I will no longer be requiring a low saps oil, i will be going with Rotella T6 5W30, I am doing this based off of the UOA reports from users here, that show Rotella and TDT giving the lowest amount of wear metals in the oil out of any of the tests that Blackstone has received for the CJAA engines. Not to mention the lower cost. It does preform better in any tests I have seen in comparison to the low saps oils. I am not comfortable going with a higher viscosity oil at this time though, and will be sticking to the 5W30 version of T6, although it is harder to source, and I have to get it 2 gallons at a time, 2 oil changes worth still comes out cheaper than 1 oil change with the Liqui molly 4200 I was using previously. I will be doing the DSG service at the same time as the rest of these mods because I am very particular about doing that at or before the specific mileage, and I will be going with Liqui Molly 8100 as that is the cheapest DSG fluid I can source currently, and I have had no issues with it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I myself, plan on just driving and dealing with whatever blows up, when it does (or if it does).
For me, there's no economical gains from all these mods\bulletproofing since I haven't had any major issues to deal with. My PM is just regular maintenance and fuel additive at each fill-up. If the HPFP grenades, I will evaluate the cost of fixing at that point it time, based on the market, condition of the vehicle, etc. I got the car new, I'm currently at 288k (km), it's my DD, it's starting to rust, I trust it completely and would drive it across the continent without even checking the oil first.

I see lots of users doing CP3 conversions, additional filters, tunes, deletes, etc..... all those cost big coin, and will take years (if not a decade) of trouble-free operation (and lots of miles) to get ROI. Your vehicle can be written off or stolen any day, and all your "planning" will be for nothing and you will never get a chance to get ROI.

That's just my perspective.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
TurboABA, depending on when you actually bought that car, you may still have time left on your VW 12 year rust warranty, so take advantage of that if you can!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Yes I know. Already went through one round of that about 4 years ago. The VW approved shop were butchered. Then, last year, I got side swiped and had insurance approved butchers paint/fix another 4k worth of it. So all of the previously "fixed" panels are no longer covered as a result. Here, where they spray so much crap on the roads, it's hard to preserve a DD.