Possible solution for MAF saturation/linearization?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Background info:
I have my setup to produce a haze by tweaking the IQ.
However, up top the haze dissapears. If I want a haze up top, I have to lower the IQ which makes the smoke low/midrange to be a bit too much.
Fueling isn't the issue, because I can change the IQ to make smoke up top, and boost is solid 23 psi up to 4500 and tapers off.

So, I was wondering about this rev C maf that I got a couple of months ago, and its peculiar screen and tube that surrounds the end of the maf element. Its supposed to help the MAF last longer, that is why I kept it... anyway I don't want the MAF readings to be higher at low flow situations anyway.

So, I decided to trim out the surrounding straighteners, as those do not affect the maf sensor.

In slower speed situations, the air prefers to flow through the less restrictive parts. Without the surrounding screen, it prefers it even more. Before this mod I was getting 490 mg/R, now 400mg/R at idle, (which also may help people who want to turn their egr to minimum 370mg/R req and plug the egr vac line).

At higher airspeed (higher revs, higher boost), it seems like the surrounding area becomes more restrictive because it is closer to the walls of the MAF and also we have more flow through a set "pipe". This makes the MAF register more flow for a given rate than when the airspeed was slow.

Result: I found an IQ setting that gives me a slight haze at low/mid AND high engine speeds!
I don't have a chance to log group 03 as my favorite safe road is not accessible anymore.

Perhaps this would also help those that are saturating the maf sensor, as there is less of a restriction on the sides now?

Last edited: