Possible Jeep GC CRD purchase...info??

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
I'm considering buying a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited S 3.0 CRD. Have not been able to find much info, such as reliability, about it on line.
Has anyone on here got one and would share their experiences?

Dan

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
I had a Jeep Liberty CRD but returned it at end of lease, vice buying out like I did for my Jetta and earlier cars. Chrysler customer support is abysmal and now that Daimler and Chrysler have separated, maintenance support may be sketchy at best. The motor is great, as was the VM Motori R428 in the Liberty, but the installation in the Jeeps leaves something to be desired (I went through two, warrantied torque converters on the Lib). A good firend with an 07 GC CRD loves it, but thinks he'll get rid of it soon now that the bumper to bumper warranty has expired. He's looking at an ML350 Bluetec or GLK 350 Bluetec, BTW.

Regards
D

ckhenshaw4

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 1999.5 Jetta
My wife and I have a 2007 Cherokee Overland with the 3.0L Mercedes Diesel. We have not had it very long, but so far we LOVE it. It has a great amount of torque. Can't really talk much about it other than that, we have only had it for 3 weeks.
Good luck, and BUY it !!!!

RabbitTDI

TDI
'08 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
We have an '08 GC Diesel Limited. The '08 has some improvements over the '07. The interior is much nicer, the front bumper, grill and headlights are different. The standard wheels increased to 18". Overall, less problems than an '07. The fuel economy is great and the massive torque is addictive. If you keep up the maintenance, it should last give you many enjoyable journeys. We also upgraded ours with SRT8 suspension pieces to give it an even better ride. Get one, if you can find it!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Who makes the engines in the Jeep diesels? I'm tossing around ideas for a swap into a small pickup. I didn't realize there were diesel Cherokees, but I've seen the diesel Libertys around.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Who makes the engines in the Jeep diesels? I'm tossing around ideas for a swap into a small pickup. I didn't realize there were diesel Cherokees, but I've seen the diesel Libertys around.
...it's a Merc OM642 3.0L V6. It's a particularly smooth-running diesel, about 220hp and 380 ft-lbs, IIRC.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Dan, we came close to purchasing one of these about 1.5 yrs ago when the local Chysler dealer had a group of 2007 vehicles for sale. I ultimately learned that this group was part of the batch of vehicles that left the factory with (severely) contaminated fuel.

In general, the Benz diesel powertrain (V6+5spd auto) is a very solid setup and offers tremendous torque and 7,000+ lb towing capacity...this is why we were looking at it.

I've spent a lot of time reading at the WK forums and have the impression that these are desirable vehicles with minimal issues. I can't really comment on the body itself and have never owned a Jeep product. It seems there is a group that sez they're horrible and there's a group that sez they'd never drive anythng else.

FWIW, the 2007 CRD I was in was loaded and very nice. Find an '08, not an '07.

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I guess I am being lazy again. More specifically, the problems are :
a possible faulty crankshaft sensor

the air intake hose has a poor design and can leak oil onto the alternator

The oil change is a pita-half of the oil must be poured down the filter housing, which is slow. If someone mucked this up though, they can easily DAMAGE the crankshafts. This is only detectable by listening for a tap and making sure its not a normal one.

Fuel economy could be better, the jeep did not get the 7speed. It can be rectified with a gear swap but this is also hard to do.(as i found out)
Fortunately, the problem are on par with or even less than the VW problems that crop up.

Last edited:

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
Found a Limited 'S' and am going to pick it up on Wednesday. 41000km, inservice date of july 30/09. $14000 for the Jetta in trade.

Last edited: