Possible discount for CR TDI tunes??

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Wondering if its appropriate to ask any of the tuners if they'd be willing to give discount for a 2.0 CR TDI tune? I have a 2013 that still not sure what I'll do with when the time comes. So in the meantime, I was thinking getting a tune done to it and enjoy - especially if discounted.

I'm going to guess not many people will be doing tunes on these so perhaps tuners would want to get something rather than nothing?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You could always ask. The worst that can happen is that you get "No" for an answer...

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I checked with a Malone dealer about a dpf delete and tune yesterday. He was doing about three a week before last Sept. Hasnt done one since the scandel broke. By the way price for a stage 2 with parts and labor was alot less then dealer price to replace cracked dpf. Just waiting to see if I can get the fix then use some of the cash for the tune

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I'll definitely be asking a couple of the tuners - will let you know how it goes

--strongly considering the kerma q pro since it doesnt involve having to remove ECU and ship/etc.

thanks

Skylines

TDI
2010 6spd Golf
You don't have to remove the ecu and ship it for a Malone tune, they did mine in the shop in about 30 minutes. Don't let that be the only reason to go kerma, Malone stage 2 makes an amazing power gain. I'm not personally familiar with kerma, so don't that that dissuade you either. Also I'm pretty sure the price is Malones price, installer probably only makes a few dollars since mark actually maps it to your cars specifications.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We're doing just fine, a lot of owners don't want to sell their cars back. I get a lot of requests asking if we'll have a "fix" for VW's update so people can go back to their old stock tune. The short answer is no: We won't be reversing EPA mandated emission changes, but we're more than happy to tune the car for deletes or performance upgrades. Mark doesn't tamper with DPF/EGR controls unless the systems are removed entirely (for offroad use, of course).

The kerma q pro is the exact same tool we use, both are made by alientech. Mark can send tunes via email to you for that device, saving you a trip to a dealer. The tool's also nice to have in case you ever go into VW for servicing, it's standard procedure for them to re-flash ECUs on arrival.

Our dealers are well compensated for their hard work and we appreciate everything they do for our customers. If you want an in and out professional service with no hassle, and a reputable shop for future diagnostics/work, visiting a dealer is always a good choice. Mark is the only one doing diesel tunes at Malone, he's a machine.

TDI
10 jetta cjaa
i thought malone tunes had dynamic egr and high cold idle? will those still be available after vw's fix? i assume you don't know since you don't know what their "fix" will actually consist of.

named tintin

Veteran Member
TDI
golf tdi
Unless they change the ECU for something newer, this is going to be only a revision software with about the same structure as the current one, some sort of a ''chiptuning'' on their part. this is just speculation but the logical scenario.

Among the many different operating mode in those edc17 ecu, there's already an ''emission compliant'' mode present, maybee some compromise around this.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
^^

We do not have dynamic egr tunes for the commonrails, EGR build up is not nearly as big of a concern as it was with the earlier ALH/PD motors and most people are opting for delete hardware. Mark has done a few dynamic idle tunes for commonrails, but it isn't a common request.

We have no idea what VW has planned, but considering Urea (ammonia) injection is the industry standard for breaking down NOx, and that's what they use on other models, my money's on an adblue retrofit.

That being said, we don't want to rule anything out, and don't actually know what they have planned. Maybe they'll just make the cars inefficient with a very boring tune like tintin mentioned. Who knows? only time will tell.

JM_Stewart

TDI
2013 Jetta
^^^^^ So development of the stage 4 kit is still going on? I was a little worried with the scandal and all. I am in my TDI for the long haul and I hope the performance market for them doesn't shrivel up. Nice to hear you guys are still doing ok.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yes sir, we'll be working with 2056 and 2260 turbos to start. Taking it slow for the time being but things are well under way ;)

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
well, regarding discounts, we start off less expensive already. But we are also easy to work with if you ask nicely.

The tdi aftermarket is not drying up. In fact, it is about to get really interesting. :)

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Maybe we should let a potential customer decide.

Free Qpro to anyone who is considering a Malone tune. Get a flashzilla, try the Malone tune, then try ours. You pay for the one you like better.

No balls. :D

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Does Malone agree w/this?

Maybe we should let a potential customer decide.
Free Qpro to anyone who is considering a Malone tune. Get a flashzilla, try the Malone tune, then try ours. You pay for the one you like better.
No balls. :D

Sounds like a good offer and I want a tune. Is there a Malone dealer that will match your offer as well?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Looks like we already have a taker. Multiple cars, some malone tuned, wants to try a kerma tune for this one. He will order and the cost of the tuner ($150) is rebated. Report results and impressions on the forums. If he doesn't like it better than the Malone tuned cars, he can send it back for a full refund.

If anyone else wants to try that, no problem. Only conditions:

1) CJAA/CBEA

2) no deletes on the car being trialed. We do not support deletes.

3) Buy the tune + programmer on kermatdi.com and add a note to the order in the shopping cart. Cost of Qpro is rebated ($150) when the order is processed for shipping.

5) report your findings to the tdiclub.

6) If you don't like it better than your Malone tuned car(s) then return to stock (to unlock the programmer) and send it back for a full refund.

I'll add another interesting twist.

If you have a FRIEND with a Malone tuned CJAA/CBEA the same offer applies. Just post your impressions of each other's tuned ride. I don't care if the friends car is deleted, we won't be tuning that one. :eek:

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Looks like we already have a taker. Multiple cars, some malone tuned, wants to try a kerma tune for this one. He will order and the cost of the tuner ($150) is rebated. Report results and impressions on the forums. If he doesn't like it better than the Malone tuned cars, he can send it back for a full refund.
If anyone else wants to try that, no problem. Only conditions:
1) CJAA/CBEA
2) no deletes on the car being trialed. We do not support deletes.
3) Buy the tune + programmer on kermatdi.com and add a note to the order in the shopping cart. Cost of Qpro is rebated ($150) when the order is processed for shipping.
5) report your findings to the tdiclub.
6) If you don't like it better than your Malone tuned car(s) then return to stock (to unlock the programmer) and send it back for a full refund.
I'll add another interesting twist.
If you have a FRIEND with a Malone tuned CJAA/CBEA the same offer applies. Just post your impressions of each other's tuned ride. I don't care if the friends car is deleted, we won't be tuning that one. :eek:
Do you not do tunes for CKRA?

Keir@malonetuning.com

TDI
none
Wow, race to the bottom you can count us out. I guess business must be slow some places.

We have plenty of loyal customers that come back to us for vehicle after vehicle and have one of the best name in this industry. We have an expansive dealer network worldwide. We go out of our way to help our customers, dealers in any way we can, generally at our own expense.

We do sell delete tunes as we are fully capable of producing that level of complex software.

We make software for a lot more than just VW's. We do BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Fiat, etc. We tune both diesel and gas cars as we are a real tuning company. We have our own in house dyno's to further develop and help our customers.

R'n'D takes money and time, we want to continue to support innovations and our associated businesses that rely on us to help sell their products.

I think our company can stand tall with our accomplishments without having to get dragged down to offering things for free.

As Owain pointed out you get what you pay for.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm very happy with my Rocket Chip tune and, being nearby, customer service is in person and fantastic. C'mon Jeff, get in on this! :D:

Last edited:

barrel roll

TDI
2010 A3 Sportback
Wow, race to the bottom you can count us out. I guess business must be slow some places.

We have plenty of loyal customers that come back to us for vehicle after vehicle and have one of the best name in this industry. We have an expansive dealer network worldwide. We go out of our way to help our customers, dealers in any way we can, generally at our own expense.

We do sell delete tunes as we are fully capable of producing that level of complex software.

We make software for a lot more than just VW's. We do BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Fiat, etc. We tune both diesel and gas cars as we are a real tuning company. We have our own in house dyno's to further develop and help our customers.

R'n'D takes money and time, we want to continue to support innovations and our associated businesses that rely on us to help sell their products.

I think our company can stand tall with our accomplishments without having to get dragged down to offering things for free.

You Malone guys really need training on professionalism.

TDI
10 jetta cjaa

That crap talking post right there may have just swayed me away from malone. With Kerma offering to give the tuning hardware to anyone that's willing to try both, and if they don't like their tune, they will refund them, that sounds like really caring. You guys sitting on your high horse saying it's better so you have to pay, makes me think you are only looking out for your best interest, rather than the community's.

Just my thoughts...

named tintin

Veteran Member
TDI
golf tdi

There's plenty of big tuning company around the world with a large network of distributor that offer tuning for a large range of vehicule, the general consensus is the bigger they are, the less the quality of their tune, this has been proven, they are generic tune, that is mathematical, there is nothing bad with this, this is actually good, this creates jobsand etc.. but generally you don't see them on any forum claiming their tune are the best.

Tuning forum and internet are flooded of ''Deleted tune'' offer, you just have to ask and you get 10 offer in less than an hour, some are free and some ask a few bucks, the thing is that there is nothing complex here, this is beginner level and everyone who have basic knowledge and want to make easy money, he can do it, as this is only 1 switch to turn off in the whole software and a few dtc code to turn off. There's even company that sells cheap tools to do that only.

You get what you pay is not always true, selling tune is like selling paint job to blind people, they can't see what they have paid for, but if they could, ouutch..!!!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There's plenty of big tuning company around the world with a large network of distributor that offer tuning for a large range of vehicule, the general cons. sus is the bigger they are, the less the quality of their tune, this has been proven, they are generic tune, that is mathematical, there is nothing bad with this, this is actually good, this creates jobsand etc.. but generally you don't see them on any forum claiming their tune are the best.

Tuning forum and internet are flooded of ''Deleted tune'' offer, you just have to ask and you get 10 offer in less than an hour, some are free and some ask a few bucks, the thing is that there is nothing complex here, this is beginner level and everyone who have basic knowledge and want to make easy money, he can do it, as this is only 1 switch to turn off in the whole software and a few dtc code to turn off. There's even company that sells cheap tools to do that only.

You get what you pay is not always true, selling tune is like selling paint job to blind people, they can't see what they have paid for, but if they could, ouutch..!!!
Kier never claimed that Malone is the best in the industry. They certainly are among the very best. Based on the number of satisfied customers, I'd say he's the best in N. America. That said, I have no problem w a bit of competitive pricing. We, the consumer, benefit from that.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
That crap talking post right there may have just swayed me away from malone. With Kerma offering to give the tuning hardware to anyone that's willing to try both, and if they don't like their tune, they will refund them, that sounds like really caring. You guys sitting on your high horse saying it's better so you have to pay, makes me think you are only looking out for your best interest, rather than the community's.
Just my thoughts...
I sell tunes for multiple companies, depending on the vehicle make and the customer's needs I make a recommendation for the best tune for my customer. I didn't see crap talking by Keir in that post... what am I missing?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
The way it is worded is definitely talking down about Kerma
If he was, could you blame him? Kerma is promoting that he is intentionally poaching customers that are interested in Malone tunes. Also.... talking down is a lot different than "crap talking" last time I checked
Just my thoughts...

I think you are just trying to start trouble

Last edited: