Porting an AFN head

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Hi, i'm in the process of porting the head. I spent all this morning working on one exhaust port only. How far have i to work on it?

Overlaying the intake gasket, i can see little material on corners of each port, can i smooth them to match with gasket?

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
More important is that it matches the manifold. Overlay some sort of dye on the flange surface and match the ports in the head to those in the manifolds. Account for movement of the manifolds due to hole clearances.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll be porting soon as well, What do you plan on doing with the bowls?
do you mean the swirl bowls around the valve guides? I won't touch them, this is my first porting work,and i want to go soft, i don't want to make the engine worse. I think those bowls are designed for the correct swirl flow (please correct me if i'm wrong). I think removing material in exhaust ports runners is enough for my setup.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Check out Fix_Until_Broke's thread called "where to stop". If I were you, I'd clean up a few of the marks inside there. I do not know how to modify the bowls for better performance without sacrificing low RPM swirl but I'd love to know how.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Check out Fix_Until_Broke's thread called "where to stop". If I were you, I'd clean up a few of the marks inside there. I do not know how to modify the bowls for better performance without sacrificing low RPM swirl but I'd love to know how.
I read that thread, it has very good pictures.
I don't want to go so far this time, maybe the next time. I make porting now beacouse i have opened the engine, i'm fixing a coolant migration problem.
I will make PD150 pistons soon, and i will can to make porting again if i want.

Yep, that marks will be smoothed at the end of the process.

Thanks for the tips,:)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ben, do you have any pictures of the ports(bowls) to the cylinders without valves installed?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
These pictures shows how far that tool goes through the port:
Ported:

Stock:

Ben, I likely too see those pictures of bowls. Thanks

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
hi guys, disappointingly, i picked up the head with the valves freshly installed :(
and the head is of course now fitted. someone will have some ncie pics though
apologies

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Guys i'm feeling inspired by the work you've done so I'm going to port the head on may spare ALH head......after all I do all my own work.....so get those pictures up for some reference.

Len

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Satiro, get some long shank carbide die-grinder bits for porting rather than the stone.

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Satiro, get some long shank carbide die-grinder bits for porting rather than the stone.
I was wondering why it took all day for one pocket.
Usually a head can be done in 2 days.
If you can find end mills, they cut better.

Make a split mandrel and put sanding cloth in it for smoothing.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
When porting use some wd-40 spray to Prevent that the bit get full of alu.
I have poort my Ahu head just like bhodgkiss Works just fine

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I will try to get it for next works. :)

I was wondering why it took all day for one pocket.
Usually a head can be done in 2 days.
If you can find end mills, they cut better.
Make a split mandrel and put sanding cloth in it for smoothing.
All morning, not all day! It has a simple answer: this is my first time porting, and my air compressor is TOO small... yesterday in afternoon i did another port in 2 hours... i guess i will do the other two ports in that time today.

I have one cone end mill in garage, i will try make the work with it this afternoon

Thanks guys for your help!:)

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Its amazing how much more economical my motor is now the head is ported, FMIC is installed and the inlet is all cleaned of gunk and EGR deleted.
I've not done any remapping yet and still have the bolt on tuning chip (Which has been brilliant actually) but if I drive economically I easily get 5mpg + more now on the dashboard display (not verified this yet at the pumps :) )
I also have the BV43 turbo and 3 bar map so its pushing more air in than the ECU knows about, so no smoke now (had a bit before) but it pulls much harder at the top end. Some of this must be the head (he hopes)? Its still only about 140crank hp at the mo, can't wait to get the R520's installed, 11mm pump, lift pump, clutch upgrade and remapped properly. I have the bits, just need to get on with it!!!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ben, just changing the IQ will change your MFA display. I frequently get 80mpg by the display on mine ;)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't go so far this time, i removed a little material from valve guide to runner. I used a end mill finally, what a difference! Thanks for that tip.

I have one doubt about exhaust manifold nuts...This is the first time i have copper nuts, are these nuts better for the remove process than steel ones? I have problems with rounded nuts each time i have to remove turbo, manifold or downpipe...

One pic of my new stiffer springs and Viton valve retainers, they are installed with ASV valves... I can't wait for having Dbilas260 cam and lifters!

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
have you use the steel bushing than the copper nut?
I can NOT see the bushing on picuture.
it because of the expandsion of the exhaust mainfold

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
have you use the steel bushing than the copper nut?
I can see the bushing on picuture.
it because of the expandsion of the exhaust mainfold
Hi, sorry me, i don't understand you at all...what bushings are you talking about?

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
when mounting the exhaust mainfold there are some kind of spacers between the exhaust mount and the copper nut.
this spacer is 5mm think and have to do with the expandsion of the mainfold.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
VW dealer had been selling me steel nuts like only part for manifold attachment past years. Dealer sells me copper nuts this time like first time and didn't say me nothing about those washers:mad: I will back to dealer again this afternoon...thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Ive seen people use the copper nuts with and without the washer. No big deal, i do use the washer myself. As for the copper nut, they are magnetic. I think they are just copper coated to prevent rust. I use stainless studs, the hardened washer and copper nut, i never replace the nuts and i run the tap through them because they are an absolute pain otherwise. If you use a new one, it will almost always pull the stud out on removal.

Locktight the stainless stud into the head, high temp antisieze on the reused copper nut (thats actually steel). New gaskets are the only piece i buy.
ive never had a problem with the nuts loosening. I can pull the car into the garage and pull the turbo off in under an hour.

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive seen people use the copper nuts with and without the washer. No big deal, i do use the washer myself. As for the copper nut, they are magnetic. I think they are just copper coated to prevent rust. I use stainless studs, the hardened washer and copper nut, i never replace the nuts and i run the tap through them because they are an absolute pain otherwise. If you use a new one, it will almost always pull the stud out on removal.

Locktight the stainless stud into the head, high temp antisieze on the reused copper nut (thats actually steel). New gaskets are the only piece i buy.
ive never had a problem with the nuts loosening. I can pull the car into the garage and pull the turbo off in under an hour.
I always use high-temp ceramic antiseize paste, but those old nuts are a real pain. I talk about nuts like i used in the EGT probe plate in the above picture. Dealer said me that steel nuts is an old part and it had been swapping with the 'new' nuts...but i saw those nuts here in the forum since years ago! damn local dealer!
I had to install new nuts each time i removed manifold,turbo... seems like this 'new' setup is a lot better... The only negative side is dealer didn't say me nothing about those washers! damn local dealer again! I have to visit them again! :D

Thanks to you guys i can installing those washers with head still in garage.:)

P.D: Thanks to MK1-83, your observation helped me a lot.

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Thanks Satiro not a problem I yust have a observion eye for It..
I'm busy with a big valve head I need a 30mm mill to mill out the exhaust port ( valve side) it's now 25 mm .

Ps: how Rubens engine his vp is a diamond.. I have spoken with him 2 times at vvt

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Satiro not a problem I yust have a observion eye for It..
I'm busy with a big valve head I need a 30mm mill to mill out the exhaust port ( valve side) it's now 25 mm .

Ps: how Rubens engine his vp is a diamond.. I have spoken with him 2 times at vvt
Yep, i read your thread, it's an interesting mod really. Good luck with it!

Ruben is the way to go for me! great guy!;)

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Yes I only must to now what of material is the valve made of and what tempature It hold.