Ported Head and Dbilas Cam Works

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As described previously I've had the engine refreshed in my wagon, and yesterday I took it to the track for the first time since. Part of the refresh was a ported head by 87TurboQuattro, a Dbilas 260 cam, and double valve springs.

I put PP520s in the car with an 11mm pump because that was as much fuel as it could handle with RC6 and keep EGTs below 1600 at the track. Even then I had to set the IQ at 6.0 to keep it under control.

I dyno'd the car in November last year and the results didn't show that much of a change compared to the stock internals. The curve may have been a little flatter at high RPMs, but otherwise not a big difference.

Yesterday I got the car on the track at Lime Rock. Here I did see a difference. IQ is at 3.0, and I never saw EGTs above 1400. And the car pulls more consistently above 4000 RPM than before. In the past as it approached and passed 5000 RPM I started to think that all I was making was heat and noise, but now it's significantly stronger up there. Other than the ported head, all hardware is the same (except for no more bent rods ;)).

As a result I think I can go to PP502s with the same setup, keep EGTs under 1600, and have a few more HP to play with.

My observation is that I'm not sure how much difference a ported head and cam make for street use, or even an occasional dyno pull or drag race, but for sustained WOT running on a road course it helps.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I do notice that my EGTs on a hard run are not too high - possibly around 750 degC on a trackday at most? Yet, on say a motorway at 80mph, it will read 500 degC just pulling up a slight incline. Shows the car is breathing well at the top end. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I actually see higher numbers than I would think climbing hills at low revs in 5th: 1050 is easy at 75-80 MPH, about the same as before the porting. But at higher revs it gets better.